The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 16, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
FLGlocker23

IWB mag holster question

I'm in the market for a IWB mag holster. Would love to bring my extra mags with me when carrying. I have 2 extra mags that came with my G23 so I was originally looking at double mag holsters.

But then someone mentioned that the rather large double mag holster can be quite uncomfortable. He suggested to me to get 2 individual mag holsters because they are usually much smaller and can be positioned more comfortably. Definitely made sense and got me thinking.

So just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this is. Especially from owners of both. Pros and cons and such. Because I'm torn between the two, but leaning towards the 2 single mag holsters now.
Old March 17, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
TAKtical

A properly contoured dual mag carrier can be very comfortable. Two single carriers will be just as comfortable but will give you more options. I noticed that sometimes my style of clothing will only allow me to conceal one mag. But if Im wearing a bigger tshirt or a jacket, i can take two.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 17, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
saltydog452

Maybe I've led a sheltered life. I've tried, but still can't see the utility value of an IWB magazine carrier.

About 1/3 of the upper mag body will be xposed even when carried IWB. Maybe a 'tuckable' or a 'crotch carry where the mag is accessed by unziping your fly can cover the entire magazine. Don't know.

There are a couple of clip on IWB Bianchi single stack carriers that I have tried. They now reside in my 'didn't work out' leather box. Those weren't worth a flip for IWB use but seem to do OK when carried in an inner jacket pocket or shaving kit.

'Luck to you,

salty
Old March 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
TAKtical

1/3 of the magazine body exposed??? Yeah... Are you assuming that everyone that carries IWB wears dress shirts tucked into dress slacks? Even if you are assuming that, IWB mag carriers are tuckable just like the holster. Maybe you dont know how IWB works? I conceal a full size glock 17 every day and two spare 20rnd mags. All IWB
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia

Last edited by TAKtical; March 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
saltydog452

Great.

It works for you, but didn't do so good for me.

Maybe if I had tried some of your kydex products, I'd be a advocate of IWB mag carriers. I didn't, I'm not, and we disagree. Cool.

salty.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:03 PM   #6
FLGlocker23

IWB mag holster question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKtical View Post
A properly contoured dual mag carrier can be very comfortable. Two single carriers will be just as comfortable but will give you more options. I noticed that sometimes my style of clothing will only allow me to conceal one mag. But if Im wearing a bigger tshirt or a jacket, i can take two.
I think I'm going w/ the 2 single pouches. I like the ability to carry either 1 or 2 as you stated. Sometimes just throwing one spare on is all that is necessary. I definitely like the versatility aspect. Thanks for everyone's input
Old March 20, 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
JimmyR

This thread made me think- has anyone seen an ankle-worn mag pouch? I'm thinking in the same style as the Desantis Apache/Galco Ankle Glove. I've never seen this, and I wonder if this would make concealing extra mags easier.

ETA: I did a little more searching, and found a few products. Anybody try these as a viable option?

Last edited by JimmyR; March 20, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:58 AM   #8
TAKtical

Im going to try making a couple. I think I could get 4 20rnd glock mags on each ankle. 160rnds and a good workout at the same time
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 20, 2013, 03:07 AM   #9
JimmyR

Hmmm, that might be a little much, but I can see packing 1-2 double stack mags on an ankle, and should conceal fairly easily. Ankle carrying mags might actually be a good, feasible option. I just wish I knew someone who carried mags that way.