The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 13, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
jrz_dad

Remington 600 Stock replacement?

Hi folks...I inherited from my uncle who passed away, a Rem 600 in 350 mag. Love the stock on it but hate to take it hunting - dont wanna scratch it up more than it already has been (my uncle believed rifles were made to hunt with - not sit and look pretty...lol)

ANYWAY, I was doing a bit of research on short action stocks and noticed several remington 700's with short actions, that are available with synthetic stocks. And I can get one at a very cheap price (used of course...lol)

Q: are these stocks interchangeable? they are both short action remingtons - so is this apples to apples or apples vs oranges?

I understand the 700 will be longer in the fore end but what I'm looking for is a stock to put on this so I can take it hunting and not worry much about scratching up the stock while out and about...

I COULD go get a synthetic stock to fit but before I pay $100+ for a new one, I'd like to explore the cheaper options first...

So, any advice you experts could give me would be greatly appreciated. Afterall, this is my FIRST remington and given the way it performs, it wont be my last...

Thanks!!

BY THE WAY - if this is posted in the wrong section, please advise - or if the moderators would move it for me, I'd appreciate that too!!
Old February 13, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

just sold my 600 several weeks ago, & had it apart for full cleaning & did a couple short action 700's the week after... I was not trying to compare them, & it's been several weeks now ( memory is not so good ) but I don't think they were even remotely similar under the wood... I'm guessing that it would be tough to fit a short action 700 stock on a 600 action ( of coarse anything is possible with enough bedding compound )

have you tried a company like Richards Micro Fit ??? I'd bet you could get a very reasonably priced laminate stock that is correctly inletted for the 600 from them...
Old February 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Scorch

A Rem 700 stock will not fit a Rem 600, they are different sizes. Jsut becasue you have a short action does not mean another short action stock will fit. FWIW, the Rem 600 is the same basic action as a Rem Model 7 with some minor differences, so even a Model 7 stock will not fit without some modification. I would recommend either buying a replacement stock made for your rifle (it will be a chore to find one, and it won't be cheap), refinish the stock you have in a way that will be more durable (Remington varnished those stocks, so they look like hell once they start to chip and wear), or just hunt with it as it is.

I do stock work for a living, and often refinish stocks using Brownells' Acra-Wood epoxy finish. It is as tough as nails, but it takes some care to apply it well.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Richards does list 600's as special order 8 week lead time... I've gotten some nice wood & wood laminate stocks from them...

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm

BTW my 600 had been refinished with a satin oil finish, & looked quite nice, even though it had a few "use bruises" the satin oil finish hides them alot better than the shiney laquer finishes...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
jrz_dad

Well, NOT the news I was hoping for but kinda expected it ...I just wanted to explore less expensive options so I can continue to use this nice rifle!! guess its time to open up the wallet a bit and suck it up...lol

Thanks for the input folks - its mucho appreciated!!
Old February 13, 2013, 02:27 PM   #6
j.chappell

I never have understood why people remove a wood stock and "put it up" so they don't nick it up hunting. I love wood and hunt with every rifle I own. If I were you I'd rather spend the money on having the current stock refinished and use it. Enjoy the beauty of the original every single day you take it hunting instead of putting it in the safe, cabinet or closet were it serves no purpose at all.

If you do want a replacement stock it is going to cost you, you simply cannot pick up a 600 stock used for a $100 like you wanted to. Unless you go with a semi-inlet stock from someone like Boyds. Then you have to either do the fitting and finishing yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.

Oh, and your uncle was right, rifles are meant to be hunted.

J.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
jrz_dad

LOL..I agree j.chappell...I just hate the thought of messing up that wood on it..even if its 'refinished' it still gets wear and tear...I love using the gun and cringe each time I take it out hunting...I'm probably TOO careful with it too...I'm sure my old uncle would be shaking his head at me for being this way...but its all i have left from him..

Thanks for the input thou!!
Old February 13, 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
jmr40

Take it hunting and use it as is. Every "character mark" on the stock will be earned.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:13 PM   #9
math teacher

Congratulations on inheriting a highly sought after rifle. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

found a stock for you...

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...=8327&cat=1227
Old March 18, 2013, 12:46 PM   #11
jrz_dad

Thank you!!