The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy one of these if you had a quarter-mill that was taking up space?
Yes 18 46.15%
No 21 53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

Bonnie & Clyde Guns For Sale

Here's the newest release to Fox1's post about the ATF reissuing a Serial Number to Bonnie's .38 so it could be resold, instead of being melted down for scrap.

Along with Bonnie's .38 that was strapped to her leg during the final hail of gunfire, you can purchase, what I would love to have, Clyde's 1911 that was in his waistband as he was brought to justice.

They will go to auction with an early expectation of $100K-$200K selling price.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/28...ion/?hpt=hp_c3

Old September 28, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Stressfire

The snubbie I could take or leave, but I'd bid on the Colt for sure
Old September 28, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Technosavant

While I can enjoy milsurps and guns of general historical significance (this is the kind of rifle used in X), guns of very specific historical significance (this IS Y's own gun) I'd leave to others. I might even quote Indiana Jones- "This belongs in a museum!"

I'd just feel bad leaving them in my safe- not only because it's more vulnerable to loss, but because more people should be able to enjoy them. I just don't think I'd get the value out of owning it.

Besides, a quarter mill' would more than cover the cost of an Audi R8 V10.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:29 AM   #4
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Besides, a quarter mill' would more than cover the cost of an Audi R8 V10.

I'd have to go with the Porsche Panamera

Old September 30, 2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Master Blaster 2

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; October 2, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
g.willikers

They sold for over half a million.
Bonnie and Clyde must be rolling, after hearing that.
Their gats being worth so much more than all their heists.
http://news.yahoo.com/bonnie-clyde-g...033427024.html
Old October 1, 2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

They've certainly been well-maintaned. Still, I'd have to have a real fixation on that particular historical issue to dump that kind of money.

Sinking money into guns as an investment is a bad strategy. For example, these two guns took 78 years to accrue their current value. That's 78 years I have to sit on them, keeping them maintained and secure.

On the other hand, I could have put some money in the stock market at the same time, and I'd be much better off.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Sevens

Some guns are valuable because of the gun and some are valuable because of their relationship to a previous owner. Obviously, these guns have some value on their own even if they weren't associated with these famous criminals, but we'd be talking about hundreds of dollars here, not hundreds of thousands.

I think it's plain nutbar for anyone to dump that kind of money in to guns that don't carry the value because of what they are -- but because of who owned them.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
aarondhgraham

They sold for $504,000.00 total.

They sold for over $500,000.00,,,

Bonnies .38 went for $264,000.00,,,
Clyde's 1911 went for $240,000.00.

Wow!

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #10
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Bonnies .38 went for $264,000.00,,,
Clyde's 1911 went for $240,000.00.

Wow!

Thanks for the update!

What a cool piece of one-of-a-kind history someone has!
Old October 3, 2012, 10:25 PM   #11
youngunz4life

yes the price will go up
Old October 3, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12
jimbob86

If I had 1/2 Million Dollars, I'd swap it for anything that would hold 1/2 it's value for more than 6 months .... Ag land, maybe gold....
Old October 3, 2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
I might even quote Indiana Jones- "This belongs in a museum!"
I have to agree with this statement. Aside from that, there's a lot of ways that I would rather spend a quarter mil than on a single handgun that I would never shoot.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:11 PM   #14
sirdiealot

now for a what if...the owner dies and passes the guns to his idiot son. son looks at the 1911 and thinks man i should trick this gun out gun losses bout 99percent of value lol
Old October 4, 2012, 12:34 AM   #15
carguychris

Makes me wonder if Clyde's M1911 is still technically property of the United States military.

Clyde Barrow famously stole most of his weaponry from National Guard armories. Frank Hamer- the former TX Ranger who led the group that ambushed Bonnie & Clyde- reportedly never made any serious attempt to return the guns recovered from the "death car" to their rightful owners, including the National Guard(!), and also never registered the recovered BARs as NFA machine guns!
Old October 5, 2012, 03:08 PM   #16
kdrf636

I was wondering why the .38 took the higher bid.

Bonnie reportedly wore that .38 taped up high on the inside of her thigh because, back then, it was considered inappropriate for lawmen to search a woman there. And there were very few, if any, female LEO's back then.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:54 AM   #17
youngunz4life

auctions like juries or other things in life...unpredictable at times...

you guyz need to understand the guy had money to spend(you can Not take the money w/you...yeah I know: "Tell me something you don't know."

the point is for all we know this guy is blood relations to somebody involved in this. the price of those guns will go up too. That is why if I ever win the lottery, I am doing the annuity while everyone else and there brother says this is wrong move. You will spend it quicker. People like charlie sheen probably have gun collections up the yingyang, gold silver, separate, added walkin closets(hidden rooms) with cigars worth tons, liquor everything you can imagine. they have tons of cash...fly to every playoff game in every MLB city everyday. half a mil is nothing to the guy who bought these firearms
Old October 8, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Jack O'Conner

It's a shame that killers like these two theives have been given the spotlight. I'm glad they were shot and killed by law enforcement.

Jack
Old October 8, 2012, 08:03 AM   #19
JIMBOINVA

Love em or hate em -- these 2 thugs were part of American history -- but they should not be idolized and the many from the weapon sales should go to the NLEOMF. IMHO
Old October 8, 2012, 08:41 AM   #20
Chuckusaret

Money locked away does not help the economy. A person who can afford two guns that would have a true value, not historical, of about $3K as antiques surely, IMO, think of them as a conversation piece and they will again be locked away. I do believe they should be placed in a museum for all to see. Food for thought; I don't know if there is a statute of limitations on theft from a crime scene or dealing in stolen property, but today if you or I obtained guns from a crime scene and attempted to sell them we would be in deep trouble. How were the weapons authenticated to be the Bonnie and Clydes. They could fakes. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:16 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
Aside from that, there's a lot of ways that I would rather spend a quarter mil than on a single handgun that I would never shoot.
Just curious, why would you choose NOT to shoot it. Personally I would shoot it and from time to time use it as my CCW. They are meant to be used. Just my opinion.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:19 PM   #22
Beagle45ACP

I wouldnt shoot them simply because if something were to break in them and had to be replaced, I think the value would decrease. I could be way off, but I would want to keep them as absolutely original as possible.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:45 PM   #23
couillon

If ever passing through Waco Texas, it is worth a visit to the Texas Ranger Museum. It is right off the highway. There is a nice bonnie and clyde exibit including shotguns taken from the death car that were brought back from Louisiana. Lots of other historical firearms as well. It is a shame those two handguns are not in there as well.

Tags
auctions , collectables