The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2012, 09:54 AM   #26
TAKtical

Cant go wrong with a savage or ruger 10/22.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old September 25, 2012, 10:09 AM   #27
coyota1

Quote:
Look at the Ruger 77-22 as well. 10 round flush mag and butter smooth.
This is great advise. The 77 22 is built like a centerfire rifle, and very accurate.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:32 AM   #28
45YearsShooting

From what I have read about the T-Bolt and the Ruger 77-22, they will not typically shoot 1/2-inch groups at 50 yards out of the box. The CZ and Anschutz rifles will.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:06 PM   #29
dgludwig

I recommend a Remington Model 504. Though discontinued for the last couple of years or so, I still see them, new, on the racks at gun stores, selling for a little over $400.00. They're getting harder and harder to find though.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:30 PM   #30
Picher

The Anschutz 64, Weatherby/Anschutz, and CZ American are great guns, but I have an accurized Remington 504 that shoots lights-out! My favorite of all bolt-action sporters to date. The new Remington 725 version is fairly expensive, but may be worth the money.

Coopers may be better, but way overpriced, IMHO.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:18 PM   #31
coyota1

I'll never forget how good the Weatherby Mark XXII felt. If I find one that is priced right, I will get it.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:56 PM   #32
Freakdaddy

I'll also recommend the T-Bolt as well. Mine is the Sporter version and has no problem keeping 1/2" groups at 50 yards with the bluing, checkering and fit being typical Browning quality. The Double Helix magazine is really a very cool design that's easy to load but pricey for extra ones. The drawback to it for some is it is lightweight (Varmint Model a little heavier) and the polymer trigger guard but neither one of these things bother me. The trigger is adjustable but mine only goes down to 3.5 lbs which is fine to me as well but may not be for everyone.

I also have a 504 that is an incredible shooter as well. Great styling and a heft to it that makes it feel like a "man's" rifle. The problem with these are there were some tooling issues with the barrels in the early serial numbers so they were very hit and miss in regards to accuracy. Remington corrected this by replacing the worn tooling later in production but the reputation was already established so this is why they no longer make the 504 which is a shame. Mine was an early model but it shoots the lights out and easily groups a 1/2" or less at 50 yards. The nice thing is they are cheap now and should you get a problem child, you can put a Lilja barrel on it or even a Shilen barrel and still be within your budget and have one hell of a shooter. Actually, the Remington 547 is the 504 action with a Shilen barrel along with stock upgrades that they command a premium for. The trigger on these are easily adjustable down to a very low poundage which is also a nice benefit. As far as the serial number thing goes, I've read anywhere from 5xxx or 6xxx on is good to go but I've also seen where it doesn't matter as it's all a crap shoot. Mine is in the 3xxx range and it's a keeper for sure and has enough strong features that it's worth a gamble in my book.

I've always heard good things about CZ's and they have quite the following. For me, their styling leaves a little to be desired and I think it's the way the magazine doesn't fit flush along with the shape of the trigger guard and trigger. Savage is the same way for me in regards to the magazine. For whatever reason this doesn't appeal to me but I'm funny like that. Still can't knock their reputation for accuracy though.

Another option would be a used Kimber or one of the Browning / Winchester 52 reproductions although they will be pushing the max in what you want to spend but well worth the money. The Weatherby XXII, which is now discontinued, features the Anschutz 64 action and most seem to be pleased with it's accuracy and it's absolutely stunning in my opinion although I do wish the magazine fit flush. Of course I've always been partial to Weatherby's stock style/design so I could overlook the magazine issue on this one LOL!

You've had a lot of good recommendations thus far and any will bring you all kinds of enjoyment. Personally, I'd opt for a more expensive model at this point since you have the money and treat yourself to it. Some of the lesser expensive guns would be easier to pick up down the road as let's face it, you can't have too many rimfires and variety is the spice of life!
Old September 28, 2012, 01:08 PM   #33
Picher

My 504 serial number is also in the 30xx range. It will shoot 3/8" groups (and a few better) at 50 yards with RWS 50.

I got mine at a salvage company, after they bought out a gunshop's inventory. I spied it in the rack from across the counter and noticed the beautiful woodgrain.

There are pictures and description of my accurizing process on RimfireCentral.com "Tips and Tricks Forum".
Old September 28, 2012, 01:58 PM   #34
Wildthang

I picked up a little Marlin XT-22 a while back. It is just a nylon stock tube feed rifle and they have a heavier than normal barrel. It doesn't shoot as good as a CZ, but on a bench with the right bullets, it is surprisingly accurate for a $200 rifle. At first some of them had factory defects and the iron sights are junk. But the rest of the rifle is good quality for the price. The Pro Fire trigger is very nice for a low priced rifle. Just look the rifle over really good before buying it!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #35
WV_gunner

New England/H&R makes .22 rifles