The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Dr. A

2011 Archery Buck

Not a monster by any means this year, but given the fact that my truck has been chewed up by rodents twice, I'm all for cutting it short. It gets expensive after a while. We've had lots of bigger bucks on film with a huge number of bigger and fat 3 year olds. I like to let them go if possible, but decided that if there was one I didn't think had a bigger rack, I might take him out early, as my schedule is not going to let me hunt extended periods this year.

I snuck in, but bumped an absolutely huge racked buck sitting directly behind my swamp stand that has subsequently bit the dust. Here is a view from there:

This faces the other stand I was in. It turned out just as well. Lots of travel goes by the stand.
I put up this stand only last week. Its a point jutting out from the forrest that separates the CRP from the Rye/Pea/Clover field. The activity is a bit hit and miss depending on the weather, but for the most part, this place has been hopping. Last night I watched numerous weanlings and an in heat female not being chased. She squatted several spots, and I could understand she was looking for the large male I had bumped

Another buck pops out down the CRP line beyond my stand 90 yards and starts working his way away. I immediately do a doe call and soft grunt, and he trots away. He ends up 300 yards or so away and turns around to watch. His head just pokes out of CRP barely as much of the grass is 7 feet tall. He was standing in a shorter area!

He quietly starts coming back when the doe goes from the green and runs towards him. He starts coming back quicker and she turns tail to run back my way. They are positively running when he comes down to 20 yards from the green when he must have remembered old Mr. Big Buck whom he has great respect for. He stopped in front of my stand and i took him. Guess it was about 25 yards, and hit him with my compound and 3 blade Muzzies. I could have held out for the bigger boy, but chances are it could be a little frustrating, and this one gave himself up. He's got good height, but rather narrow. Topped the scales at 263 and I'm feeling it today...

And live:

Last edited by Dr. A; November 4, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old November 4, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Dr. A

Last edited by Dr. A; November 4, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old November 4, 2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Congrats
Old November 4, 2011, 03:56 PM   #4
ZeroJunk

Wow. I don't think I have ever seen a buck around here go much over 200 pounds. Great buck by most people's standards. Thanks for sharing.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
ISP 5353

Awesome buck! Congrats!
Old November 4, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
.243_Shooter

I would definitely call a 260 pound buck a monster. He might not have a monster rack compared to the other one, but I wouldn't have passed on him. Congratulations on a nice deer.