The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 18, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Robert Merivel

Holster for an HK Mark 23

Just purchased and was wondering what might be some suggestions for Holstering this handcannon. My other handgun is an HK USP .45 Compact and that's fairly easy to carry. I'm not looking to conceal it...is that even possible?

I'd been "eyeballing" this amazing gun for some years now and thought to myself, "If things in this country continue down the path we are on right now, I'm going to need a weapon that I can trust in any situation." And low an behold "Viola!" the money was there and the gun had my name on it.

Anyway, in terms of a good holster I don't care too much about how it looks, just want it to be comfortable if I had to carry it over the local landscape.

Thanks

Victory before War
Robert Merivel
Old August 18, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Skan21

Well, if you've got the scratch for a MK 23, you can certainly afford some good gunleather! I've used lots of different holsters. Kydex, leather, fabric, etc. But I love some good classy gunleather. Try Mitch Rosen. http://www.mitchrosen.com
He makes quality stuff. And If you buy your pants 10 sizes larger, you could probably carry it concealed IWB!

Edited because:
Quote:
"Viola!"
is an instrument. "Voila" on the other hand.....lol, just messing with ya....

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 18, 2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Robert Merivel

Yeah, I deserve playing that "Viola" out of tune...you got me on that...LOL @ myself. Your right about spending moola on a nice shooter. Once you go that far you can't stop. I saved another half of the original price to make sure I could put it together, close to right.

The "The Stylemasterâ„¢ is our new shoulder rig" caught my eye at the site you suggested. I wonder if that gun would be comfortable in that position? Any ideas on a holster that hangs down from the hip and attached to the thigh?

Thanks again
Old August 18, 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Skan21

I don't suggest a shoulder holster for a gun that large. The Stylemaster ( I have one) is a GREAT holster, but if you want to conceal, I don't think you could do it with the MK23. You would probably print badly, unless you do some serious layering. If you just want it for tooling around in the woods, or at the range, I say go for it.

As for the drop leg, or thigh holster, they tend to migrate. Meaning, they start on the side of your thigh and gradually inch slowly towards the front of your thigh. Especially if you wear it while being very active. Running, backpacking, etc. Again, fine for the range though. The heavier the pistol, the more it migrates though. I have a 5" Springfield XD(M) 9, and the last time I took it backpacking I used a thigh rig ( Open carry is legal in NH.). Unfortunately, I regretted it. It wouldn't cinch tight enough to my leg to stay on the side, and kept heading for the front. Now I just use my stylemaster, or my American Rear Guard.

My next holster is going to be OWB. Not sure which one yet. Good gunleather will last you for the life of the gun. And Mitch makes nothing but the best. There are cheaper ones, but not better.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 18, 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Robert Merivel

Good info.

Do you happen to know how the military "on foot" carries their handguns? do they have choices?
Old August 18, 2009, 02:48 AM   #6
Skan21

Actually, I was military "on foot". I spent 5 years in the Army Infantry. 1 year as straight leg, and 3 years as Stryker. Stryker just meant that I got to ride onto the battlefield. Then we would dismount to patrol. So I was fancy straight leg. 16 months in Iraq, first 12 months in Mosul, then extended for 4 months in Baghdad.

Most Infantry doesn't carry the M-9. We mostly just had a primary ( M-4, M-4 with 203, M-14, M249), but sometimes we would dismount the M240B, so someone had to carry it. Nobody wants to carry a 240B AND an M-4, so they would carry an M-9 for anything that popped up close quarters. For that, the Safariland drop legs were the most common, in my experience. Also mixed in were a few Blackhawk Serpa's, and even a few guys that wore shoulder holsters. Nobody wore OWB holsters cause they chafe something fierce when you wear armor.

The M-9 was actually issued to the platoon leader ( in my case 2nd Lt.) but we would borrow it if we dismounted the 240B for overwatch. We were only issued 3 for the platoon, of 30 or so, and 2 were for soldiers that rarely dismounted. So the only one available was Lt's. That's why i don't have tons of experience with an M-9 in armor. I rarely carried it. Besides, the only reason anyone ever WANTED the thing was to go to the chow hall, because the chow hall was far away, and it's lighter and more easily carried than an M-4 or M249.

Safariland is great for a pistol you don't give a crap about, because Kydex really not that good for the finish. It's also not as quiet. But it IS cheap. Well, relatively anyway. That's why we used it. No sense in babying a 15 year old beat up M-9. That brings me to my point. If you have a $50 pistol, get a cheap holster. If you have a $1500 pistol, don't put it in a cheap holster. I actually figure my holster in when I buy my gun. If I only have $1000, I buy an $800 gun, and spend the rest on a good holster that protects my investment.

Old August 18, 2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Robert Merivel

Interesting story. Thanks.

So, if you could equip yourself and a "squad" in the field, let us say Afghanistan, with gear (body armor, etc.) and weapons (handguns/rifles, etc.) and money wasn't a concern, what would you come up with that might be different than what you were equipped with "over there."
Old August 19, 2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Skan21

Lets see..... Probably a Patriot Ordinance Factory P-308 instead of a Colt M-4. Same armor ( Point Blank Interceptor). Handgun, I would probably use a Springfield XD-45, with nite sights. Oakley boots ( It's just like wearing sneakers, but ruggedized. They aren't real durable though, and expensive.). I could definitely have used tougher ACU's also. The crotch used to blow out on those things all the time on the early issue. And a new pair of Oakley Transition sunglasses. I would keep my Oakley Assault gloves. And last but not least, a Saiga 12 with a 12" barrel for breaching doors. And a collapsible butt stock.

Old April 28, 2010, 06:50 PM   #9
MSU Target

Mark 23 Holster

I own a Mark also and have to say excellent purchase. It's the best/most fun shooting pistol I own, despite it's size and weight. If you are still looking for a holster I would recommend a Blackhawk Omega IV Ultra (maybe Elite, I own both and can't remember which is which). It is a tactical thigh holster and works very well with my Mark. It does tend to travel forward a bit and you'll notice some swing when walking and moving around a lot, but I can't complain. It'll run you around $100-125.