The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
MrGee

Lymans outside neck tuner/trimmer

Gents... i was looking for the less costly avalible neck trimmers when i found Lymans brand, it said it adapts to Lymans universel case trimmer, which i already have.. has anyone used/tried this system ... wondering if its worth the trouble.. any feedback/review on it would help ... thanks, Rich G,..
Old February 15, 2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Scorch

I have one and use it. It's not as quick/convenient for small batches as the Forster neck turning tool, but for 50+ cases, it works very well. And your fingers won't get sore.

Years ago I went through the whole neck turning vs neck reaming scenario, and the Lyman was the easiest to use with most consistent results, possibly because it is a simple mechanical tool and you can't easily screw it up.
Old February 15, 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
MrGee

thanks for the reply Scorch..

i some times do short runs just for a test, but mostly when i get enough brass to clean i'l go ahead an decap as many as i can till i get tired or board so 50 is a good start number for me,... whatever i read about the neck tuner said it works with the case trimmer ... how does it hook up ? the small pic i saw of it didn't give me a clue on where or how...
Old February 16, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Scorch

The neck turning tool replaces the cutter head on the Lyman case trimmer, just threads in. It uses the same pilots you use for trimming cases, or you can buy the case neck pilot set, which are a little longer and have ridges around the OD. If I remember correctly, the case neck trimmer kit comes with pilots.

Adjustments for depth of cut are made with a small Allen wrench. Once you have it set up, you just go like the wind. Remember to not thin the necks too much. I usually turn the neck until I have the metal about 2/3 cleaned up.
Old February 16, 2007, 11:42 PM   #5
MrGee

thanks Scorch....

that does clear it up some... i figure one end had to go some where .. all i saw was two barrel like objests an couldn't see any threads on either one..
an yes the pilots where in pic as well... kind of simple now that you have explained it..... Dah... < is me.
Thanks Rich G,....