The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2002, 05:39 AM   #1
LF&Co. MG

Mossberg choke thingy or guess what I saw in the bank?

Just curious, when did Mossberg use that split barrel/ twist open,mod, full cutts compensator looking thingy on the end of their shotties. I saw one in a bank the other day that someone couldn't fit into a safe deposit box (this is a rural TN. bank, we do things different here). Evidently the gun has been there for longer than any employee can remember. I'm gonna wipe her down with oil, and clean the 1/4 inch of dust (no kidding) off the bolt face next time I'm there (like I said, we do things differently in rural TN.).
Old December 7, 2002, 06:53 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

After living in MD most of my life, rural TN is sounding better all the time. Some of my ancestors came from there too, living around where Maryville is now.

The adjustable choke/brake you describe was more or less a standard option after WWII. Polychoke had and has one,and the one you saw was proprietary to Mossberg. Truchoke now makes one that's a screw in.

I've only seen these on the bolt action Mossies. WHat kind of action does this relic have?
Old December 7, 2002, 09:18 AM   #3
F=ma

My "New Haven by Mossberg" (500) given to me about 25 years ago has the adjustable "C-lect" choke....There is a small aluminum plate under the front bead that has adjustment lines for cyl, mod, & full. I just dug the thing out (it normally wears a slug bbl); maybe when this snow melts I'll do a little patterning to see how well it works.

(And BTW this New Haven has dual action arms, contrary to reports of other New Haven guns)
Old December 7, 2002, 09:57 AM   #4
LF&Co. MG

Hey Dave, your PM mailbox is full. Anyway, the Mossy is a 12 g bolt action with a detatchable box magazine. The mag looks to hold an additional 2 shells. Funny you should mention Maryville TN. I live fairly close and actually work there 3 days a week.
Old December 7, 2002, 01:22 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like the ugliest shotgun in Howard County,
LF.Keith has a pic of that shotgun in his opus, ca 1950, so they've been around.

"When David Eagleton settled on the banks of Pistol Creek in 1797, the Cherokee burned down his house three times"....

Ever hear of the Eagleton Community? Part of Maryville now, I understand. I'm descended from David by way of his son William, first Presbyterian Bishop west of the Cumberland Gap.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:09 PM   #6
swampgator

I've got a Mossy 500 mid 80's vintage that has one.