The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Kreyzhorse

Kimber Camp Guard

I picked up a Camp Guard last week and took it to the range for the first time today. To be honest, I've read way too much about them being unreliable but thought some of it was likely internet fodder so I took chance and bought my first Kimber despite being a Springfield and Colt 1911 guy. I was very excited to own this gun.

Between the features and pure looks and handling of the gun, I had very high hopes for it. It's the best fit and finish of any 1911 I own.

I field stripped it, cleaned it and again was nothing but impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. Very impressive inside and out.

Unfortunately, my second shot today is where positive impressions of this gun ended. Shooting Sellier & Bellot 180gr FMJ, this gun wouldn't run more than three shots in a row without jamming. Typically it was every other shot. This was with using Kimber, DW, Colt, Wilson Combat and Mec Gar magazines.

It ran better with Hornady Personal Defense ammo and other assorted round nose ammo, but still averaged a jam every magazine.

I'm going to pick up some other range ammo, but right now, I'm pretty disappointed that it won't run basic ammo. Perhaps it just doesn't like Sellier and Bellot, but I have a feeling than any flat nosed bullet simply won't run in this gun.

The bullets rode the feed ramp, but jammed on the roof of the barrel and the slide. They jammed into the barrel so hard that they weren't easy to clear by hand.

I'll break it down this week, clean it, pick up some other range ammo and report back. I've heard much about the the 500 round break in period, but I've yet to own a 1911 that didn't run any ammo that I fed it right out of the box so I'm pretty disappointed with this Camp Guard so far.

Never even got a chance to see what type of groups this gun could produce today.

As a side note, my buddies DW Bruin ran the Sellier ammo without a hiccup using the same assorted mags I used.

Again, I'm going to give it another outing with some range ammo but if it doesn't run any better, I guess I'll test out Kimber's customer service.

Hopefully it's better than what the interweb says it is.

If you have any tips, suggestions or other words of encouragement, I'd love to hear them, otherwise I'll report out in a week of so.

Thanks for reading.
Old January 18, 2020, 08:14 PM   #2
krunchnik

More than likely the extractor is too tight-not allowing the base of the round to slide up into place-extractor tension is the culprit quite a bit of the time.
But the best idea with a brand new pistol is to talk to Kimber.
Old January 18, 2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Thanks Krunchnik. I'll try some other ammo and if that keeps choking it up, Kimber is my next stop.
Old January 19, 2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Hammerhead

Quote:
More than likely the extractor is too tight-not allowing the base of the round to slide up into place-extractor tension is the culprit quite a bit of the time.
But the best idea with a brand new pistol is to talk to Kimber.
The extractor was my first guess too. Too tight or it's clocking (twisting).
Kimber should make it right.
I bought a Kimber Target II 9mm 14 months ago, it had a loose (un-tensioned) extractor, resulting in failures to extract/eject. I fit a new extractor and firing pin stop and now it runs like a sewing machine.
Feeds any ammo or bullet shape now, and it's highly accurate out to 50 yards.

Don't know what it is with Kimber these days, the guns are very well built and fitted, but they seem to phone it in when it comes to the extractors.
Old January 19, 2020, 11:21 AM   #5
mulespurs

Just my thought

I might strip the extracter out of the slide and thoughly clean the extracter hole in the slide with some brake clean and a brush, check for debris and reassemble and try again.

I had a new 1911 from another maker that wanted to act up. Cleaning the extracter hole and extracter fixed it.
Good luck.
Old January 19, 2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Thanks guys. I took the ejector out today, cleaned it and ran to the club again this afternoon. Same results.

What you guys said make sense and hopefully it's something simple like that. To my eyes, the ejector rod had a pronounced bend to it that seemed to be too pronounced.

I didn't do anything to it however other than clean it and reinstall it. We'll see what Kimber says.....
Old January 20, 2020, 05:37 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Here's hoping you get it worked out. It's a good-lookin' pistol.
Old January 20, 2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Dave T

A picture would have made this more interesting. Just sayin'!

Dave
Old January 20, 2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Looks like it's going to go back to Kimber..... if it comes back working, maybe then it will be worth the effort to post a picture of it.

That said, when I'm not clearing jams, it shot and felt great in the hand. Recoil is down right mild.

I'll update through the process with Kimber. Wish me luck!
Old January 21, 2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Dropped it off today with UPS. Kimber was super easy to deal with and immediately offered to have the gun looked at by their gunsmiths.

Within 10 minutes of hanging up with their CS rep, I had shipping instructions and within 2 hours, a 2nd Day Air shipping label from UPS.

Turn around should be between 2 to 4 weeks door to door.

Kimber's CS ranks right there with both Ruger and Springfield's. Couldn't have had any better experience with them.

I'll update when I get it back or if anything comes up in between.
Old January 24, 2020, 02:28 PM   #11
bamaranger

here's hoping

Sure hope that all works out on your Kimber.

About a year ago a pal showed up with a new 6" Kimber 10mm, not sure of model, may be a Target model, but it was stainless. We lubed it and proceeded to shoot it with several varieties of ammo, but there were consistent failures. A call to Kimber.....they said shoot it some more, it it doesn't straighten up, call again and we'll take care of you.

The gun did straighten up and run right at about 300 rds or so. At which point my pal traded it for something else, as he is prone to do. Gorgeous pistol.
Old January 29, 2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Quick update. Just got a shipment notice that the Camp Guard is on it's way back. Looks like I'll have it on Friday.

Kimber received the gun last Thursday. Looks like they had it for 3 full working days before shipping it out today. Pretty damn fast turn around. Not sure if that's good or bad at this point.

Will update again when I get it Friday and see what work has been done to it.
Old January 29, 2020, 07:07 PM   #13
smee78

Well I hope it works out for ya, I enjoy my Pro Carry II and it shoots great. Good luck with your new gun.
Old January 31, 2020, 03:49 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

All right.... looks like Kimber did the following work:

1. Adjusted extractor
2. Throated chamber
3. Replaced recoil spring

It was test fired with:

1. 3 Mags of 180gr FMJ
2. 1 Mag of 180gr JHP

Going to try to get out to the club on Saturday and see how it shoots.

All and all, great customer service and fast turn around from Kimber. I'll update after the range trip.
Old February 1, 2020, 05:11 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Put several rounds of both FMJ and JHP through it today with assorted mags (Kimber, Wilson and Mec Gar).

The Camp Guard ran everything with zero hiccups. From the factory, there was a bit of hesitation chambering the first round out of magazine. Today, no such issue. Gun was flawless and operated exactly as it should.

Once we proved it would run, shooting off a rest, the gun shot sub 1" groups at 10 yards. My buddy shot it better than I did, and he literally put 5 rounds in essentially the same hole.

My best was three in same hole. The gun is a shooter and out shot his 10mm DW Bruin.

The DW for the record has a better trigger, but the Kimber was a close second.

At this point, I simply couldn't ask for any thing more from this gun. Disappointing, and a bit confusing, why it didn't run right out of the box, but after a painless and fast return trip to Kimber, this gun is more than what I hoped it would be.

Still perplexed at their reputation for making damn near perfect fit and finished guns that won't run out of box, but I'm also damn happy at this point. This might be my new favorite 1911.

Thanks for everyone's support on this thread and hope you have a great rest of your weekend.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 1, 2020 at 05:18 PM.