The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Onward Allusion

80% Pistol Lowers

Not that I need any more guns, but for grins and giggles, I'd picked one up to see if I could make a so-called "Ghost Gun". I was actually floored at how easy it is to do so with a Dremel and a hand drill and a table top vise. No, Ghost Gunner machine or Drill Press required.

So this got me thinking . . . How hard would it be for someone to design an investment cast mold for use with some kind of Epoxy mix? How would the guberment even try to regulate something like that?
Old January 18, 2020, 12:48 PM   #2
riffraff

Or even a casting for metals, would not be as simple for the average person but for those inclined you could make some really rugged copies.

The issue I see with a resin system is potentially strength and accuracy. It takes a reinforcement to make such resins strong, adding such in can create rough details - total non issue on a boat part but on a moving part different story, no room for a slide surface to be a little chipped up for instance.
Old January 18, 2020, 12:55 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

What do you think is being tracked exactly now?

Hopefully regulate it somehow. Seems like the expedition of a person up to no good...
Old January 18, 2020, 01:39 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Investment cast molding requires tools and more importantly a place to do it. Isn't a kitchen table thing.
A 3D printer will do it with a lot less fuss. Those printers are still pricey though. So is the plastic material.
Old January 18, 2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It's not metal, but y'all are aware that there are cast-your-own kits for AR-15 lowers available right now ... right?
Jeepaholic
Old January 18, 2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

^^^
Wow! No idea that they exist. Are these cast your own AR receivers poly or metal?

Nevermind...I'd just Googled it... Very interesting...Resin.
Old January 18, 2020, 08:37 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Resin = polymer

Polymer = resin
Jeepaholic
Old January 19, 2020, 07:08 AM   #8
kozak6

Investment casting? That's not really an epoxy sort of thing.

"Fruity Ghost"? Who said that? What does that even mean? Why would anyone even Google that?!??

If you ask me, that sounds like some kind of particularly delightful breakfast cereal AND NOTHING ELSE.
Old January 19, 2020, 08:10 AM   #9
Gary Gill

I don't see the point in ghost guns. Here in Indiana we can buy and sell guns among residents with no paperwork at all. Having a main stream gun without a paper trail to me seems the way to go. Maybe if I lived in non-free state I would think otherwise.
Old January 19, 2020, 06:23 PM   #10
Tom-R2

There is a YouTube video of a guy drinking a lot of beer, then after sobering up melts down lots of beer cans and casts his own AR15 lower receiver. It looked pretty rough, but he used a mill and drill press and it mated up to an upper and functioned. Lots of work.I think he did it just to see if he could.
Old January 19, 2020, 06:27 PM   #11
Tom-R2

One other point, especially with the 1911 frames, its an interesting project for those who are looking to create a pistol that they built. Its not something I believe most criminals would be inclined to do.
Old January 21, 2020, 12:08 AM   #12
HisSoldier

Quote:
Seems like the expedition of a person up to no good...
Assuming gun registration makes a gun good or bad maybe, but 80% frames have been around for a while now and are totally legal unless made into guns to sell, for now anyway.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.