The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2019, 01:46 PM   #51
TunnelRat

So you have a number of people that share your interest in more powerful cartridges. What's your point again? That people's interest or tolerance for those cartridges are waning? Yet you and your friends exist how? Some sort of Omega men of the larger calibers? Okay then. And even if other people felt differently, why would you then care? Sounds like you and your friends are having a good time. Isn't that enough?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 26, 2019, 01:50 PM   #52
TBM900

"What might be the next innovation in handguns?"

That we peasants are still allowed to legally own them in 10-20 years
Now that will be an innovation

Beyond that...
Polymer slides or maybe even polymer barrels seem like a real possibility
Old December 26, 2019, 01:57 PM   #53
Lohman446

Quote:
Guess I, along with most of my shooting buddies are just out of touch, or anomalies. We do shoot a lot of lower recoil guns like rimfires, and 38 Spcl. target loads, standard pressure 9MM out of full size service pistols, and others. But we also like shooting the thumpers, and big boomers just as much. Several of us hunt with TC Contender pistols in calibers like 7-30 Watters, 357 Harrett, 35 Remington, and 45-70. Nothing puts a grin on my face like a couple dozen or so rounds of 45-70 through a 10" 'Tender!
Out of touch with what exactly? I'm not sure you have offered evidence that recoil sensitivity is even on the rise let alone what is causing it. I know some people now who consider the 30-06 as the bare minimum for white-tail and scoff at the concept of hunting them with quarter bores. Imagine if I told them that my next gun will be a .257 Roberts and I would not question hunting Elk with it. The 454 Cassul, once revered as ridiculously over-powered, has been left behind by new offerings from multiple companies. Notice the .50s that are showing up more and more at public ranges? Yes they have recoil management systems but they are .50s. More and more shooters are showing up into Elk camps with African cartridges that make the 45-70 seem tame in comparison. Either the game is getting a lot tougher to take down or people are becoming less adverse to recoil. I think you offered false premise in increasing recoil sensitivity with a false attribution to softness.

Last edited by Lohman446; December 26, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old December 26, 2019, 02:18 PM   #54
Catchabullet

Fn 5.7 has a polymer slide. Maybe just barrels then.
Old December 26, 2019, 02:24 PM   #55
Ben Dover

If I have a choice of getting a shot ion the behind, or taking a pill, I'll "Take the easy way out" and swallow the pill every time.

I own several hard kicking weapons for specific purposes, but they are definitely NOT what I take out for fun.

I shoot a 10MM G-20 almost as well as a G-17, 9mm. But I most certainly do not enjoy shooting full house 10MM loads.

Any human that does not opt for comfort over pain is disturbed. I believe there is a term for those who enjoy pain. Masochist.

And I truly believe that old Elmer had much better sights on his typewriter than on any of his guns.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 26, 2019, 02:46 PM   #56
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchabullet View Post
Fn 5.7 has a polymer slide. Maybe just barrels then.
5.7 has a steel slide with a polymer cover
Old December 26, 2019, 03:03 PM   #57
Catchabullet

You're correct, I admit I was wrong. The firearm is so light I misjudged the materials.
Old December 26, 2019, 03:34 PM   #58
Lohman446

What is the next innovation? Remember the low bore axis of the Rhino revolver? This but in a semi-auto. No idea how they are going to accomplish it but the intent will be to alleviate muzzle rise as much as possible to allow faster follow up shots. That's the hard part about predicting innovation. It has to be far enough out there to be innovative while not being impossible. Trends of existing mainstream ideas are not innovation.

Last edited by Lohman446; December 26, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:36 AM   #59
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What is the next innovation? Remember the low bore axis of the Rhino revolver? This but in a semi-auto. No idea how they are going to accomplish it but the intent will be to alleviate muzzle rise as much as possible to allow faster follow up shots.
There was a thread about such a pistol a while back. Don't remember the name. Mostly because I was unimpressed to the point of forgetting about it. The things I do remember is that like the Rhino it was absolutely UGH-LEE!!! In addition it was even more ridiculously expensive.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 27, 2019, 10:39 AM   #60
Lohman446

Quote:
The things I do remember is that like the Rhino it was absolutely UGH-LEE!!! In addition it was even more ridiculously expensive.
You are right on both counts. I remembered they were ugly but had not remembered them being expensive. I just checked. They are EXPENSIVE.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:40 AM   #61
Cheapshooter

Lohman446, here it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn7Ofkm1bAE
Old December 27, 2019, 10:54 AM   #62
Lohman446

So much for my predicative abilities. I probably had seen this somewhere and subconsciously thought it was a new idea. I don't recall seeing it but its so close to what I was picturing I can't believe I had not.
Old December 27, 2019, 12:23 PM   #63
Dave T

That thing is indeed innovative, and it's no uglier than a host of other "service" pistols on the market today. I'm impressed.

Dave
Old December 28, 2019, 05:41 AM   #64
shurshot

Forget the newest, plastic / tactical pistol innovation... I WANT A LIGHTSABER!!! Blue, like Skywalker's original one.
Old December 28, 2019, 10:19 AM   #65
chadio

Quote:
That we peasants are still allowed to legally own them in 10-20 years
Now that will be an innovation

Beyond that...
Polymer slides or maybe even polymer barrels seem like a real possibility
Was thinking exactly the same on both points...
Old December 29, 2019, 07:17 AM   #66
Brutus

No innovation required but finding that Colt SAA as used by Roy, Hopalong and the Lone ranger has been a daunting task, I mean:
never runs out of bullets.
never kills anyone.
always shoots the gun out of the bad guys hand without hurting him.
accurate to 1000 yards.
always attracts beautiful women.
comes standard with an awesome horse.
Gotta get me one of those.
Old December 29, 2019, 05:32 PM   #67
Cheapshooter

3D printed frames, and other parts.
Old December 29, 2019, 07:06 PM   #68
Road_Clam

Not necessarily a gun innovation, but I would love to see a consumer "smart optic" where you highlight your target on a screen, the optic range finds the distance and automatically adjusts your elevation based upon currently stored ballistics. Be pretty cool for guys that do a lot of "unknown distance" target shooting.
Old December 29, 2019, 11:42 PM   #69
veprdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
Not necessarily a gun innovation, but I would love to see a consumer "smart optic" where you highlight your target on a screen, the optic range finds the distance and automatically adjusts your elevation based upon currently stored ballistics. Be pretty cool for guys that do a lot of "unknown distance" target shooting.
TrackingPoint was doing this with rifles. Acquire target. Hit some sort of set button. Optics/lasers/etc calculate windage, bullet drop, etc. You hold the trigger down and when your sight moves back over the same point the rifle fires.

It may work slightly different than that but that's the gist.
Old December 31, 2019, 06:27 PM   #70
Ben Dover

A really great innovation would be a new, improved version of the Black Talon that did even more damage to the target.

Imagine a 115-124 grain 9MM bullet that had a 95+ percent one shot lethality rate.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 31, 2019, 08:13 PM   #71
labnoti

Huh? The Black Talon was re-introduced as the SXT (Same Xact Thing) and has already been "improved" in the latest Ranger T. But it is not more remarkable than similar bullets from Hornady and Vista (Federal and Speer), or even Remington.
Old December 31, 2019, 08:24 PM   #72
labnoti

Elmer Keith was not a recoil junky by any means.
He did not invent the .357 Magnum or the .44 Magnum.
He was known to "hot-rod" cartridges like the .38 and .44 Special, but only because he started with what were cartridges at black powder pressure levels.
He disliked the .454 Casull and dismissed it as excessive and unpleasant.
He did invent a .41 caliber rimmed revolver cartridge that Remington loaded in excess of his wishes and named the .41 Remington Magnum. Had it instead been to Keith's specifications, it would have been similar to the .40 S&W but 26 years ahead of its time.

Speculation about far-future technology is moderately amusing, but a discussion of the next innovation, rather than dozens of innovations into the future, will have to consider that for the time being, "The laws of physics cannot be denied: minimal recoil is inconsistent with maximal tissue disruption" (a quote from Martin Fackler).
Old January 1, 2020, 10:04 AM   #73
DukeConnor

Some interesting thoughts in this thread.

I think it is ridiculous that in 2020 all slides don't have a optic cut.
Old January 1, 2020, 11:54 AM   #74
bill460

I think there are still a majority of auto pistols sold that will never see an optic. And machining an optic cut in a slide is, 1.) Useless if you're not going to utilize it. 2.) And becomes an unnecessary expense.
Old January 2, 2020, 04:26 PM   #75
Fishbed77

Quote:
Forget the Moon, we can't even reach low Earth orbit any longer in a manned vehicle, since we abandoned the Shuttle. We have to buy rides with the Russians to get to the International Space Station. Pathetic.
Nor is it possible for civilians to cross the Atlantic in 3 hours anymore since the retirement of the Concorde.

It goes to show that humanity has regressed in at least a few measurable ways in recent years.