The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 21, 2019, 10:28 PM   #76
cslinger

^^^^^
HA! I was going to post just to keep it alive. It’s kinda epic at this point.

I have both. I have fairly small hands. Over the years I have inexplicably come to prefer the 92 series. I have never seen a problem with either.

POWER TO HAMMER!!!!
Old December 21, 2019, 11:39 PM   #77
gc70

I was here on the 9th day in 2010 ... and still have not changed my opinion.
Old December 22, 2019, 02:45 AM   #78
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbushmaster View Post
Sig P226 with tritium night sights, German manufactured:
West German made SIG Sauers are the ones that really command the extra $$$ over Beretta 92 series.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old December 22, 2019, 05:08 AM   #79
scorpion_tyr

I was issued a 92FS for a few years, loved that gun. The only problem is that I was expected to wear it concealed at times... in a shoulder holster or chest rig...

I have a 226 now and I love that gun too. As soon as I find a good deal on a 92 I’ll be getting one of those for myself because I miss my old duty weapon. Both are amazing firearms and both will get the job done.

My advice: get both! But if you must choose I would say go with the one that feels better in your hand. Still can’t decide? Go with the 92 because John McLane and the Boondocks Saints.

This thread was quite young back when I was more active on the forum. And it is indeed old now, but it’s still a valid discussion about two proven handguns and will still be a valid discussion in another 10 years.
Old December 24, 2019, 09:43 AM   #80
rodfac

LOL, I just checked the starting date...hell, I had most of my hair and all of my teeth when this thread started....however....I'll join in!

We've got 'em both. Son #2's 92FS has way over 5000 rounds through it and been in use since '95 with nary a broken part. It's as accurate as the day it rolled off the assembly line with our handloads, too. My son, a former Marine MP shoots it extremely well and has no problem with it's very full, rounded grip. For me, it's like trying to hold the fat end of a baseball bat...I just can't get around to liking the grip feel.

We both also shoot a number of double column Sigs as well, and have no problem with them as to grip feel. None have given us any trouble with parts breakage either and are a bit more accurate than the 92 FS for that critical DA first shot. To my hand, the Sig's are a bit thinner through the grip than the Beretta.

Without starting a caliber war, if you're enamored with the 9mm round, either will do, but the Sig's offer a bit more choice if you want something bigger and, in my view, better...357Sig, 40, and 45 are all readily available in Sig's lineup. I don't know if the 92 has the option of different calibers.

As to military acceptance, I'm one of those who found the choice of the 92 perplexing....I'd have preferred one of our domestic companies, and would also have kept the .45. Politics with our supposed allies certainly had something to do with the choice...YMMv, but I don't care. That said, the gun has worked out OK, I guess, but it's bigger than the 1911 and for females and small handed guys, it's more than a handful. Again, YMMv. About the only part of the switch over from the 1911, that I liked was the new holster and web belt assembly...I really like that Bianchi made holster (I think) rig for military use.

Lastly sights: Get tritium sights if you're seriously thinking of using the gun for defense after sundown....Again, I don't know if the 92 has that option, but all the Sigs do, and those sights are every bit as precise as a plain black post or the three painted-dots variety.

Were it me, I'd get the 226 if limited to the OP's choices...it's a great pistol, a bit smaller in the hand than the 92, and with a sterling LEO and Military Special Forces reputation. And get it in .40, a more substantial caliber with a far greater bullet weight selection. But a better choice is a P229, a substantially better concealment gun if you need to take it off the range, and is equally accurate (in my hands) as either the 92 or the 226. My version is the M11A1, a P229 in all but name, and chambered in that diminutive 9mm caliber.

YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73

Last edited by rodfac; December 24, 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old December 28, 2019, 09:10 AM   #81
chadio

Have owned a German p226 in 9mm for a few years...

Just bought an Italian 92fs in 9mm, have not fired it yet.

P226 - came with a Hogue grip that felt like the big end of a bat. Replaced with factory, stock grip, feels much better.

92fs - has the factory grip, which also feels like the big end of a bat. I am in the process of modding a set of Beretta Vertec grips, the smaller grip width feels wonderful.

Have a thing for small arms with historical significance, used by our armed forces.

BTW - post #62 is actually quite funny....
Old December 28, 2019, 10:38 AM   #82
Bartholomew Roberts

666 is actually an ancient Aramaic symbol for “slide-mounted, upside down safety.” True story!
Old December 30, 2019, 11:40 AM   #83

I own a Beretta 92FS (circa 1991) and a Sig P226 (circa 1995). Both are great guns. The Sig feels better in my hand, but the finish on the Beretta is better. Cannot go wrong with either.
Old December 30, 2019, 01:30 PM   #84
pat701

Owned both, I love Sigs.
Old December 30, 2019, 02:49 PM   #85
TBM900

I currently own both of them
Two Sig's
Four Berettas

Both are excellent pistols either of which should serve you well
I would ignore the fluff and pick the one that YOU shoot better with your chosen load

That said, I personally prefer the 92FS (specifically the Brigadier version) because when shooting its operation is like a fine watch, while the Sig has a more generic in feel. If you are leaning towards the 92 I would suggest trying the Brigadier version as it has a very unique (better) feel over the standard 92 when shooting.

But again, both the 92 and Sig are fine pistols and either should serve you very well

PS
The stories repeated about the 92 failing early on, the slide launching, etc. are wrong 99.9% of the time. Yes it failed, after thousands of rounds of PROOF loads were inadvertently used during T&E, which is why Beretta won the big lawsuit. Folks who know what actually happened look at it as a testament to how strong and durable the 92 really is.
Old December 30, 2019, 04:42 PM   #86
PatientWolf

If the OP hasn’t made a decision in the nearly 10 years since starting this thread, I’m pretty sure nobody will be able to influence the decision one way or another.
Old December 30, 2019, 05:06 PM   #87
mk70ss

Both are equally good guns. Which one feels better in your hands and points more naturally? That would be the one I choose.....
Old December 30, 2019, 06:15 PM   #88
Rob228

They are both a little bit too big for my hands. I'd take the SIG because I cannot reach the safety on the Beretta without wrecking my grip. Not a fan of DA first shot with either.
Old December 30, 2019, 08:47 PM   #89
chadio

Look up on utoob

Fact vs Fantasy Beretta M9/92FS

Chris Bartocci gives an excellent documentary...
Old December 31, 2019, 04:38 PM   #90
tlm225

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post

If the OP hasn’t made a decision in the nearly 10 years since starting this thread, I’m pretty sure nobody will be able to influence the decision one way or another.
Plus the OP hasn't posted anymore in ten years so I doubt he'll be back.

Why do people feel it necessary to resurrect ancient threads.
Old December 31, 2019, 07:46 PM   #91
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadio View Post
Look up on utoob

Fact vs Fantasy Beretta M9/92FS

Chris Bartocci gives an excellent documentary...
x100
Old December 31, 2019, 07:48 PM   #92
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm225 View Post
What does it matter?
Is the information somehow invalid?
Maybe the OP searched and found the thread w/o looking at the date?
I never look at dates
Old January 2, 2020, 03:22 PM   #93
dgludwig

Quote:
If you don't want to read it; don't read it. Some subjects, issues, questions and insights are not wedded to time or circumstance in terms of relevancy.
Old January 3, 2020, 12:25 PM   #94
Jack19

B-92 > P226.

I've owned both, carried both, the 226 is gone.

I carry and conceal the 92 IWB at about 3.30 every day. With 18 rounds in the mag, what's not to like?

—Malcolm S. Forbes.
Old January 4, 2020, 08:39 PM   #95
larryf1952

I'll be back in December of 2020, when this thread is resurrected yet again. Maybe, it'll become a Christmas tradition like watching "Christmas Vacation" or Ralphie on "A Christmas Story."

Candy canes and hot cocoa, Jingle Bells on the stereo.

FWIW...I love my 92FS Inox. Never owned a Sig. I hear they're OK guns.
Old January 18, 2020, 11:33 AM   #96
Black Wolf

Didn't read EVERY reply, so someone might've said what I am about to already.

First off, like many have said - they're both G2G.

The Sig feels "disconnected" to me. The bore axis rides higher in my hand, on top of it. This gives a weird sense of "top heavy" to it. The Beretta..... My hand is up in there like swimwear (bore axis seems much lower to your hand)

Downside to the Beretta - unless you go with certain specific models, like the M9A3 (mine), the front sight is part of the slide. All machined out of one solid piece. That bugs me.

I know it wasn't on your list, but a similar gun in that category deserves a look before you select either of them - CZ SP01 Tactical.
Old January 18, 2020, 12:07 PM   #97
FTG-05

"- 3. "The 92FS only won the XM9 pistol trials for political reasons." Unproven, but even if true, it does not speak against the quality of the pistol as they both passed those trials."

The 92 won the XM9 trials due to cost. How do I know? I used to race with the Army DOD official who was in charge of the competition and made the decision to select the Beretta.

He said that decision cost him more grief than any other that he made while in the Gov't.

He was retired when I knew him but haven't seen him for +10 years or so. I wish I had spent more time talking about the decision but life intervened.

Having said that, I have the P226 since about 1988 or so. I highly recommend it if you need/want a full sized 9mm pistol.
Old January 18, 2020, 09:02 PM   #98
dgludwig

Quote:
Downside to the Beretta - unless you go with certain specific models, like the M9A3 (mine), the front sight is part of the slide. All machined out of one solid piece. That bugs me.
Same here; I like everything else about the 92FS but that permanent front sight. That said, in this instance, my objection to it so far is strictly a "theoretical" one as I've never had the need or occasion to change or move it.