The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2020, 12:48 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Any compelling reason to get one or not?

Have all the others in this size. Would be my first Glock.
BINGO!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2020, 01:18 PM   #27
highpower3006

I have a gen3 G19 and use it as my EDC. The finger grooves don't bother me and I see no reason to get a gen5, but if I didn't have one I would go for it. All the snide comments aside (even those from me) they are a nice gun that handles well and go bang every time you pull the trigger.
Old January 11, 2020, 01:35 PM   #28
T. O'Heir

I don't have the money. That's my reason. Mind you, I find the Glock grip to be slippery regardless of the "Gen". Pachmayr's "Tactical" Grip Glove shouldn't be necessary on a $1,000Cdn pistol.
Old January 11, 2020, 04:46 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

The Gen4 and Gen5 improve on the trigger. With all the Gen3 talk...is this not a noticeable thing or what?
Old January 11, 2020, 05:01 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
The Gen4 and Gen5 improve on the trigger. With all the Gen3 talk...is this not a noticeable thing or what?
The Gen 4 has a different trigger feel as there is a nub on the trigger bar. Swap the trigger bar and you likely have a lighter pull than Gen 3. The Gen 5 doesn't have any nub. A bit less stuff on the break compared to the Gen 3 I had at the time. The problem is like any mass produced firearm the triggers aren't exactly the same in every firearm, so when you compare two you might get slightly different impressions.

People generally say the Gen 5 has a better trigger. To me if you're expecting a night and day difference you won't get it, again IMO. I do think it's an appreciable difference. For whatever reason, trigger, "marksman barrel", etc, I shoot my Gen 5s better than the Gen 3s and Gen 4s I've owned. As always YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 11, 2020, 05:10 PM   #31
Tactical Jackalope

^ What TR said.

I've had the same model Glocks shoot different ammo less or more accurately than the other. Different ejections patterns. And most of all, triggers.

I had one Gen 3 19 that was my absolute favorite. It was a detective MDPD issued one and it had the best damn trigger I've ever felt on a Glock.

Then I had another Gen 19 that felt like there was a piece of sponge instead of a trigger return spring.

YMMV. They're all extremely workable and even my absolute WORST feeling trigger in a Glock, I shot exceptionally well.

Might be cause I'm used to DA/SA? Who knows.
Old January 11, 2020, 11:30 PM   #32
batmann

I have a GIII 22 that I converted to a 9mm. Simple process, barrel and mags.
I have no problem with it and it’s the most reliable of my semis.
I did take a little off the back strap, I used fine emery.
To help with the slippery part, I use Talon grips, easy to install and cures the slippery feel.
Glocks are phenomenal for reliably and the grip angle actually helps you shoot better.
Old January 12, 2020, 12:37 AM   #33
BourbonCowboy

I tried to like the Glock 19 Gen 4. It just didn't feel good in my hand. Also, I'm a lefty and the lack of a right-side slide release didn't help. After 200 rounds, I just couldn't convince myself to buy one (although it was 100% reliable). I ended up with the HK VP9.
Old January 12, 2020, 06:25 AM   #34
Spats McGee
Staff

I say go handle different generations of G19 and get the one you like in your hand. Someone mentioned Toyotas in this thread and I've read something along the lines of: The G19 is the Toyota Camry of the gun world. It may not be exciting, but it's reliable. It runs every time. There are always parts available. And there's always going to be a buyer if you don't like it.
Old January 12, 2020, 08:07 AM   #35
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
I don't have the money. That's my reason. Mind you, I find the Glock grip to be slippery regardless of the "Gen". Pachmayr's "Tactical" Grip Glove shouldn't be necessary on a $1,000Cdn pistol.
Today's exchange rate with $600 G19/G3en5(which is high) is $783...

I find the Glock grips, triggers, factory sights just fine and dandy..YMMV, IMHO and all that..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 12, 2020, 08:25 AM   #36
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I say go handle different generations of G19 and get the one you like in your hand. Someone mentioned Toyotas in this thread and I've read something along the lines of: The G19 is the Toyota Camry of the gun world. It may not be exciting, but it's reliable. It runs every time. There are always parts available. And there's always going to be a buyer if you don't like it.
You’d think you could find a buyer for a Glock anytime. That sure wasn’t my experience. My Gen3 19 sat on consignment with a load of magazines and holders, and a nice Blackhawk IWB/OWB holster for six months for what the LGS said was a fair price for 6 months, before I gave up and pulled it back. There’s a point where there are just too many on the market and all the difference generations with little to no change can make them tough to sell.

I eventually sold it and did the transfer and all legal mambo jumbo at another LGS. That same store gladly took my Mossberg 500 off my hands. Another great gun I didn’t shoot. It just mangled my bad shoulder with each trigger pull. I had asked them if they were interested in buying the Glock prior and they had said they had too many “non-movers” already. I guess it all depends on where you live and who has what. Glocks are not always easy to sell. Now if I had a 229, 226 or a CZ something, it would have been a different story.

Not saying Glocks are bad. Just that sometimes there are way too many “Camrys” being dumped for you to sell yours, even if mint!
Old January 12, 2020, 08:38 AM   #37
P-35HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawndn72 View Post
I have always hated the way a Glock felt and pointed in my hand. I finally broke down and bought one just to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out I shoot my Gen 5 Glock 19 better than any other gun I own; and I own or have owned a bunch of the competitors.
Same here, hate basically ALMOST everything about Glock, the look, grip, the way it feels in my hand, the price...
However, I shoot it WAY better than any other gun. It can be easily and inexpensively maintained, accessories are available in abundance, everybody makes holsters for it, etc.
I hate it but it is my beloved, dependable and trusted carry gun. Go figure.
Old January 12, 2020, 10:06 AM   #38
223 shooter

Never been a fan of Glock in the least bit and across the entire line could never find one that felt good in the hand. The intro of the single stack 42,43 and later 48 changed all that. A used G42 ended up being my first Glock. Last spring a G48 was added.

So late last year I decided to take a look at the double stack Glock again and after much handling of the Gen 5 17,19 and 34 I went with the G34 MOS. The Gen 5 pistol is amazingly accurate - never thought an out of the box Glock could shoot so well! I still find the grip to be overly large but is manageable. I may end up shooting it at the Camp Perry Glock match this summer.
Old January 12, 2020, 10:27 AM   #39
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHeat View Post
You’d think you could find a buyer for a Glock anytime. That sure wasn’t my experience. My Gen3 19 sat on consignment with a load of magazines and holders, and a nice Blackhawk IWB/OWB holster for six months for what the LGS said was a fair price for 6 months, before I gave up and pulled it back. There’s a point where there are just too many on the market and all the difference generations with little to no change can make them tough to sell.
Your problem was the accessories, not the gun. I’ve worked at three different shops, all of which sold lots of used guns. And in general, when selling used guns at shops, accessories add little to no value. Customers might have wanted your G19, but they didn’t want to pay extra for a holsters and bunch of mag pouches they didn’t want, or for lots of extra magazines that they don’t think they need. Most customers just want the gun, a box, and maybe an extra mag or two.

Heck, even if a gun with accessories is priced the same as it would be without accessories, the accessories can often be a deterrent for buyers because they assume the price is higher because of the accessories.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:29 PM   #40
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Your problem was the accessories, not the gun. I’ve worked at three different shops, all of which sold lots of used guns. And in general, when selling used guns at shops, accessories add little to no value. Customers might have wanted your G19, but they didn’t want to pay extra for a holsters and bunch of mag pouches they didn’t want, or for lots of extra magazines that they don’t think they need. Most customers just want the gun, a box, and maybe an extra mag or two.

Heck, even if a gun with accessories is priced the same as it would be without accessories, the accessories can often be a deterrent for buyers because they assume the price is higher because of the accessories.
Accessories must have been a detriment then, because it was priced for the pistol only and not pistol + accessories.

Although the LGS said the used market for some guns has been abysmal lately.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:31 PM   #41
TunnelRat

Used market since Trump was elected has been, in my experience, pretty terrible. I had a similar issue with a Glock a few months back on consignment. I also had an issue with a CZ too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 12, 2020, 06:58 PM   #42
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHeat View Post
Accessories must have been a detriment then, because it was priced for the pistol only and not pistol + accessories.

Although the LGS said the used market for some guns has been abysmal lately.
If it was priced over $450 then it was too high.

Jim
Old January 12, 2020, 07:18 PM   #43
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post
If it was priced over $450 then it was too high.

Jim
It was at $400. LGS set the price when I consigned it. It’s not a market for used guns and too many Glocks for sale is what I was told. Doesn’t really matter. I ended up selling it for $450 later, so it all worked out. Just took forever.
Old January 13, 2020, 10:05 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I had the same experience. And there were no accessories with it. Just plain old Glocks that would simply not move. A 17, 19, and 34. Took forever to move. Even recently, I shared them on the classifieds and gun broker with not so much as an inquiry.
Old January 13, 2020, 07:44 PM   #45
rickmelear

I have a 17 Gen3 RTF and a 43X. Rented a Gen5 19 last week and really liked it and shot it well. Felt much better than my 17. Probably more the lack of finger grooves, I’ll pick one up some time in the near future.