The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Outlaw75

Minimum OAL question

I've noticed that most manuals seem to group the minimum OAL with the 'Never Exceed' side of the load data. Does the minimum OAL apply to the specific powder/bullet combination in general, or just to the higher end of the load range?

Example: I'm loading .357 mag 158 gr LSWC with 4.5 gr Titegroup. The max load is 5 gr Titegroup and the minimum OAL is given as 1.610. Does the OAL apply to the load in general or can I set my OAL at the SAAMI OAL of 1.59 for a 4.5 gr load?

Last edited by Outlaw75; August 15, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Average Joe

The deeper you set the projectile, the more pressure you develop. The powder manufacture knows this, and tells you what the OAL is for your given load.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Outlaw75

Yes, thanks! I was looking at load data on Hodgdon's website and noticed that the listed the OAL for the caliber/bullet combination, regardless of the number of grains.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Mobuck

OAL is often dictated by crimp groove location.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:55 PM   #5
davery25

It's really just an indicator. You'll just need to be aware that the further in you seat, the higher the pressure and that's going to be something to watch always but particularly at the higher ends of the charge range.

For my 223 using 77 grain A-Max bullets I had to seat way deeper than the manuals OAL because they needed to fit into a Tikka T3's stock magazine. It was fine for every powder except Benchmark 2 which started to give pressure signs at the higher end
Old August 15, 2014, 09:14 PM   #6
snakeye

Quote:
OAL is often dictated by crimp groove location.
Can you explain that a little more
Old August 15, 2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I'll explain it:

Not that it addresses the question in the original post, but if it's a 158g LSWC, chances are really good that there is a crimp groove in the bullet. You should put your calipers away and seat to that crimp groove.

Most revolver bullets have a crimp groove or cannelure (in the case of jacketed). Simply seat the bullet to where the case mouth resides at the groove and crimp it.

My first couple years of loading was strictly revolver rounds. I didn't even know why the starter kit I bought came with a set of calipers

Nowdays, plated bullets are getting popular for revolver rounds - then it's time to bust out the calipers. Then it's also time to get a taper crimp die - but that's another post.