The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 4, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1
matt29375

Pistol Permit Approval/Denial Scenario

Here is my situation. I just applied for my pistol permit in Tioga county NY and I am a little concerned about whether or not I will be approved. My only arrest/conviction in my background is a posession of marijuana ticket(violation-small amount) about 7 years ago. Other than traffic offenses(no DWI's) that is my only real brush with the law. I did include it on my permit but seeing as it is drug related I am wondering if I wasted my time or if it isnt a big deal. Does anyone have any experinces or education to shed some light on this?
Old March 4, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, matt29375!

First of all, I'm going to move your thread down to Law & Civil Rights as soon as I get done posting this, so that's where you'll need to start looking for it in just a few minutes. I'll leave a redirect marker, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Second, what you really need is an attorney who is: (1) versed in federal and NY firearms law; and (2) licensed in NY. While we're generally happy to help out, you need to remember that what you tell your attorney is privileged. What you tell a bunch of anonymous internet gun guys, well, is not.

With all of that said, I am not versed in NY law, but under federal law, the question is whether the charge was punishable by more than a year in jail, or otherwise classified as a felony. If it was either of the aforementioned, no firearm for you. Mind you, the operative term is "punishable," so the question is what the maximum sentence might have been, not the sentence that you actually got.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Traditionally, NY police have used every excuse and reason (or no reason) to deny applications for pistol purchase and carry licenses. There have been exceptions for reasons best not gone into here.

Jim

Tags
approval , arrest , permit , pistol