The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1
burrhead

125gr. 357 in a Colt Lawman

I bought a very nice Colt Lawman yesterday ($280 BTW) and I'm considering putting it into the carry rotation. I know about the concerns of using .357mag 125gr. cartridges in S&W K frames but what about the Colt J frames? Any concerns about splitting the forcing cone? TIA

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
FlyFish

The Lawman is basically the fixed-sight version of the Trooper Mark III, which is generally regarded as one of the strongest .357 revolvers ever made. I've never heard of any issues with the forcing cones. Excellent pick-up at that price - I've got a couple of Trooper MKIIIs, but would love to have a Lawman as well.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Sevens

I've long been very interested in the storied debate, discussion and opinions on 125 grain .357 Magnum ammo in revolvers... K-frames specifically, where the grand debate was born.

In taking a lot of great discussion in, I've come to a conclusion-- maybe my conclusion will help your position.*

Due to the length of the 125 grain bullet and the colossal fireworks that often follow it, there is no revolver with attendant cylinder gap/forcing cone that won't be accepting stress from these loads. Certainly... a big, massive, meaty monster of a revolver will resist this abuse more than will a dainty one, but it will not stop the abuse that's being dished out. A Freedom Arms single action, an N-frame S&W or one of the short-printed Ruger Redhawk revolvers will resist the beating more than others, perhaps, but will still be subjected to it.

So I've come to accept that and run with it. I don't run full-bore 125gr Magnum loads in my Model 19. Admittedly, I don't even like to run them in my L-frame 686. But I do have a Taurus Model 66 that I will beat without mercy, because it's a low-dollar revolver and for what I've got in it (monetarily and emotionally ), I think it came to me for the select purpose of throwing a beating down on it. Which is fun, because the darn thing is VERY accurate so it's fun to beat upon.

I don't have one of the three BIG revolvers I mentioned above. If I did...I wouldn't put hot 125's through them, either. However, that's because 95% of the handguns I own are -NOT- tools. They are much adored "toys." If I were carrying a .357 Mag revolver for defense...that would be a tool and I would use it as a tool. And if 125gr loads were called for, that's what I'd feed it.

Also keep in mind that while S&W quit making K-frame magnums (perhaps due to this?), they continue to make J-frame magnums. They don't think you'll kill many J-frames with hot 125's, so I think most any .357 Magnum will take a lot of hot 125's before it goes in the crapper.

*correction: this conclusion was served up for me and it "fit" so I've adopted it. I didn't come up with it on my own.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
laytonj1

There was a recent thread of someone's Ruger GP100 whose forcing cone was both cracked and severely eroded from shooting allot of full power 125gr ammo. It can happen to any 357 revolver.

Jim
Old January 28, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
kcub

This loss is the grail of defense loads. This is a strong gun. Carry it, just don't dry fire the lawman without snapcaps.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
DFrame

See what kcub said above. He is 100% corrrect.