The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
dahermit

S&W 36 transition for pocket carry.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...minski/003.jpg
I recently acquired a S&W 36 snub that had not been fired. Or at least I could detect no indication that it had been fired. It had no ring on the cyclinder, no rub marks on the trigger or hammer, the blue was still on the double action contact area, there was no apparent wear what so ever. But it had an unpinned barrel so it had to be and older model.

I did a lot of smoothing/stoning, swapped out the rebound slide spring and mainspring with a Wolff kit to get a good trigger pull. I purchased a .343 wide serrated trigger, ground and polished the face, and then installed it to replace the narrow serrated trigger. I bobbed the hammer and polished the cut. I replaced the stock much too small wooden grips with rubber grips with a little finger support and covered back-strap. The grips are not quite as big as the Hogue Mono-grip that I tried and found a little too big for the gun.

With the way it is now, I think that it makes a comparable replacement for my Taurus 85. Or, perhaps I can carry both for a New York reload.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...i/SW36_1_1.jpg

Last edited by dahermit; October 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM.