The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1
lone star hydro

NEW COWBOYS in TOWN

My son and I are getting start in cowboy action shooting. We shoot USPSA
know , he is 12.5 years old and I'm 46 and shot 38 super in limited 10. I
bought 2 blued and 2 stainless Ruger Vaquero in 357 mag. I would like to
get a rifle in .357, so I'm not reloading different loads.?? Shotguns ????
So guys can us some HELP on what would be a good rifle / shotgun to
stare with. Thanks Glenn / Austin
Old April 30, 2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Glenn & Son

Welcome to the crew.

You came to the right place.
Old April 30, 2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

First thing to do is attend a couple matchs at local SASS clubs. You can find out where they are & when they shoot here: http://www.sassnet.com/AClubs-Main-001A.php

See what others are shooting. There will be plenty of poeple that offer to let you try out wht they are using.

Failing that, A Winchester 92 clone or '66 in .38, and a rossi/stoeger/remington SXS would work.

Check out the SASS classifieds, you can get some good deals there on shotguns and rifles.

Above all, have fun.

Welcome to the fastest growing dead sport in the world.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 30, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
toyman69

you might look into a puma for your lever action. I have a brass framed 45 colt and I'm very pleased with it. It was reasonably inexpensive less than half of the cost of my wife's 1894cb marlin in 32H&R. And shoots just as well as her marlin.
Old April 30, 2010, 09:24 PM   #5
dreamweaver

I bought a rossi 1892 replica and really like it. i haven't had any problems with mine, but a lot of folks don't like 'em from what i hear.
for a shotgun i bought a stoeger silverado sxs no problems with that either.
i also shoot 32-20. colt SAA's, a winchester 1892 and the stoeger.
great father and son activity!
Old April 30, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6
andrewstorm

357 mag rifle

I personally would choose a marlin lever gun,for reliability Ive seen winchester guns jamb rite out of the seald box,and pumas are the same design,marlin even has the octogonal barrel,long tubular magizine,superior metal and finish,and for the moment are made in the U S...................................
Old April 30, 2010, 11:15 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, the National Firearms Museum had an exhibit on Cowboy guns. I had a catalog, but gave it to my brother.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Nite Ryder

New Cowboys in town

I just posted the following on another thread, hope it helps you.

Help on Cowboy pistols

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started shooting Cowboy Action Shooting in 2006 and I've seen a few new shooters buy guns and then after they got into the game more, switched guns and calibers. Most people end up using 38 special revolvers because the recoil is lighter and therefor can shoot faster than 45's and 44's, 32's are also faster..For rifles, the best for the money is the Marlin 1894 in 357mag caliber (shooting 38 special catridges). However 1866's and 1873's (both of which are toggle action guns) are the best, but most expensive. In my opinion Winchester 94's and 92's (or clones) are the poorest choice. Their actions can not be smoothed to the same point as the Marlins and toogle action guns. The toogle action guns can also be fitted with a short stroke kit that makes them a bit faster.. Marlins don't work the same and even though you will hear a short stroke kit can be put in them. The only thing that can make their lever throw shorter is a shorter cartridge. Either SXS shotguns or Winchester 1897 (or their clones) and the 1887 Winchester (and clones) may be used. I suspect it is easier to be faster with a 97 pump gun, but I've seen many SXS (double barrel coach guns) shooters that were also fast. An 1887 lever shotgun can be used, but they are 'practice intensive'. Pump rifles like the Colt lightning can also be used, but few people stick with them because most of them don't work as well as some of the other rifles. Hope these thoughts help. I might add, I have most of these guns mentioned, and some of them more than just one. I have a 66, a 73 and five Marlins.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; May 11, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
SouthCali

Winchester Model 94 AE .357

I have it and love it. Its the only lever i have but i am slowly growing fond, and would like another. Mine is plain, but some are beautiful just to look at!