The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1
rbf420

obtaining accurate loads...

my expertise in reloading only goes as far as to mass produce some what inacurrate rounds for pure plinking. i am now in need of more accurate rounds specifically for my bolt action 30.06. i would prefer the acurracy to be optimal at 300yrds... would a light bullet like 120grns be superior than 170gr? does anyone have any pet loads for 30.06 that work wonders? greatly apreciate any help! thanks!
Old January 25, 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Bart B.

When the .30-06 was the only cartridge allowed in most NRA high power rifle matches, the favorite load for those winning matches and setting records with bullets around 170 grains was 48 to 49 grains of IMR4064. This includes Sierra 165's, 168's and 175's as well as other make bullets in this same weight range. Charges had to be weighed 'cause that powder doesn't meter too accurate from powder measures.

They full length sized their fired cases and got better accuracy than any form of neck only or partial neck sizing. Accuracy was great at any range up through 1000 yards. Even in M1 Garand and factory Win. 70 and Rem. 40X target rifles with their chambers on the big side of SAAMI specs, this load was the ticket to smallest groups. Accuracy tests resulted in 1/3 MOA groups at 100 yards, 2/3rds MOA at 300 and 1 MOA at 600 yards. That's as good as the .30-06 has ever done with at least 20 shots per group.

There's no reason this load would not work well for hunting bullets in this weight range with ordinary cases and large rifle primers when shot from ordinary factory barrels.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 25, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old January 25, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

A lot of factors go into "accuracy" of a loaded cartridge. Some things to consider:

* You can have accuracy at 300 yds, but with lower velocity which makes for greater adjustment for different ranges. So you need to decide if you are shooting for greatest accuracy at just 300 yds., or will be shooting at other ranges as well and how much a flat trajectry is important.

* The human factors are far more significant than the tools. Make sure that you can shoot MOA before you expect your rifle and cartridge to do so.

* Accuracy of a cartridge is mostly about consistency. Some designs inherently lend themselves to better consistency (like short fat cases compared to long slim cases for more even powder burning).

* Cartridge consistency means smallest possible variance in bullet weight, case dimensions, seating depth, bullet alignment, powder weight, primer ignition, powder burning, assembly process, etc.

* At a minimum you want to use brass, bullets and powder from the same lots to eliminate variances from the manufacturers. You can even sort bullets and cases by weight ranges (buying match quality components does this already).

* Hunting and informal target shooting accuracy can be had by just careful selection of components and careful assembly (same COL, testing for best powder and weight, neck sizing, etc.). But if you want match accuracy you have to get into a whole other level of inspection, measurement and control for case neck thickness, runout, bullet seating with respect to chamber throat length, etc.

* If you want above average accurate loads then you want cartridge to cartridge consistency of very small variances, and assembly and inspection of cartridges on an individual basis more than a batch basis. I mean, you assemble as a small batch, but each cartridge is individually inspected and controlled (or discarded).

* You can test the ability of your rifle and yourself by buying some match quality ammo. Then see if you can achieve the same results with carefully assembled handloads.

I would start with the basic rifle handloading steps first to make sure you have those down to tight tolerances and perfect consistency. If you want more accuracy, then upgrade to match components. If you want even more accuracy then get the additional tools to inspect and control the finer elements of cartridge dimension and assembly.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 25, 2010, 07:57 PM   #4
gearheadpyro

There are many pet loads for many different cartridges, as I don't load the -06 I don't know any.

My belief is that in order to get the maximum accuracy from your gun you will need to do your own load development in your rifle. That way the ammunition is specifically tuned to your rifle. This is the best way to ensure maximum accuracy. If you are loading specifically for 300 yards, use that as your distance when developing a load.