The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Mr. A

Trying to find Aquafortis produced by Old Thunder

I have a fiddleback maple stock that I am going to stain. I looked at a stock stained with Aquafortis that turned out great. Does anyone know where it can be bought? It is made by Old Thunder. Tried to Google it but no luck.
Old March 23, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

stock

Sir:
I think that's nitric acid.
Get nitric acid and mix it 10 to 1 with water. Whisker your M.L. stock good and apply (use gloves!) - then with the wifes hair dryer (or torch) heat the stock - it will turn pink- don't burn it)
Then use potassium permanganate (it will make a bomb like reaction with the nitric in the open - not on the stock) and soak the stock - it"ll turn deep brown/black.
Neutralize it with soda water and let totally dry.
Then take linseed oil and fine steel wool and work it out until the stripes just show - let the linseed neutralize and then use Tru-Oil. Works great.
Harry B.
Old March 25, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Mr. A

Mr.Bonar:
Thanks for the information. In your opinion, would using birchwood walnut stain be a better choice?
Mr. A
Old March 25, 2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

stock

Mr. A:
It will stain the stock but won't produce the " fiddle-back or "tigertail" striped look.
What you're doing with the acid is etching or "burning" the sofe areas of the wood. (these chemicals will need a doctors prescription).
Mike Tocci used to make a solution that was very good and you could call Mountain State Muzzle-loading in Parkersburg W. Va. and talk to Ed Cain about his recommendations - they have several of these finishes.
As you know, curly or striped maple will take treatments many different ways with several different results.
Potassium permanganate will also fade with age in sunlight. You can also treat it with a blowtorch like old Hal Hartely did but you need to be very expert to do it - I've never tried it.
Type Mountain State Muxxle-loading in your computer.
Harry B.
Old March 25, 2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

stock

Mr. A:
It will stain the stock but won't produce the " fiddle-back or "tigertail" striped look.
What you're doing with the acid is etching or "burning" the sofe areas of the wood. (these chemicals will need a doctors prescription).
Mike Tocci used to make a solution that was very good and you could call Mountain State Muzzle-loading in Parkersburg W. Va. and talk to Ed Cain about his recommendations - they have several of these finishes.
As you know, curly or striped maple will take treatments many different ways with several different results.
Potassium permanganate will also fade with age in sunlight. You can also treat it with a blowtorch like old Hal Hartely did but you need to be very expert to do it - I've never tried it.
Type Mountain State Muzzle-loading in your computer.
Harry B.
Old March 26, 2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Mr. A

Mr. Bonar:
I'll give him a call. Thanks!
Mr. A