The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2015, 03:52 AM   #1
thump_rrr

1911 experts, I need your advice.

I have a Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded 1911 that I've owned for 5 years now.
It's a gun I don't often shoot since I most often prefer to shoot rifles.

I personally removed the ILS by replacing the mainspring housing with an S&A mainspring housing and magwelll combo with the proper internals several years ago.
Last year I wanted to replace the trigger with a Wilson Combat short trigger due to my hand size and also due to the 7lb trigger pull the gun had.

I handed the gun over to the armored at my club who supposedly tunes many a 1911.
When I received it I dry fired it quite a bit and was very happy with the weight and feel of the trigger and left it at that.

Rifle season came around and I got into PRS and some CQB matches where an 8 round mag was a disadvantage so I used my HK45 all summer.

Last month I took the 1911 out of the safe and went to the range to get reacquainted with my old friend.
I shoot the first mag then hit the mag release to reload and nothing is happening.
I manually strip the empty mag to reload, fire off another 8 rounds, push on the mag release and once again the mag doesn't drop free.

It appears that the stirrup or trigger bow is too narrow and must be stretched out not to interfere with the magazine.

I am debating wether to send the gun back to have the stirrup re-curved or do it myself with the tool sold at Brownells.
If I re-curve the trigger how myself will other adjustments need to be made to the trigger?
It seems to me that to have anything done right means that you must do it yourself.

Thanks in advance
Old December 17, 2015, 09:30 AM   #2
g.willikers

If you can still remove the mags as described, there's no reason you can't fix this yourself.
It's not difficult to use that tool you mention.

On the other hand, if the mags come out with minimum persuasion, and the gun isn't being used for competition, maybe just leave it as it is.
Lots of guns, especially those made for the military, are designed to hang on to their mags.
It's considered a desirable feature.
See how sometimes a change in attitude can be easier than fixing stuff.
Old December 17, 2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
It seems to me that to have anything done right means that you must do it yourself.
thump_rrr, I'm sorry for your experience but the above statement is not true if you choose a competent pistolsmith.

To answer your question, the trigger die that Brownell's sells should work fine for you, it's what I use.

Keep in mind you do not want to make the trigger stirrup to wide as it will drag to much on the frame.

Before you buy the die remove the mag catch and see if the mags will slide in and out of the gun freely, if they do the mag catch is your problem.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old December 17, 2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Sharkbite

While i do think the trigger is to blame, i would do the above and check for mag release interference first. Its easy and you have to take the mag release out to get the trigger out anyway.

With the mag releases out, i would take a Sharpie marker and color the mags. A couple insertions and you will see where its rubbing. Go from there.
Old December 17, 2015, 01:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

First remove the trigger and trigger bow and study the bow (you have to remove the magazine release first). Try inserting a magazine through it off the gun. The problem should be apparent. You don't really need any tool, any suitable wedge or padded pliers will work. But the trick is to make the bow wide enough to be clear of the magazine while not wide enough to rub on the frame and hurt the trigger pull. That is not "rocket science", simply a matter of a little tweaking and smoothing with a file or emery paper until everything fits properly.

Jim
Old December 28, 2015, 11:13 PM   #6
thump_rrr

I finally had a chance to take apart the gun and I verified that it was the trigger bow that was not allowing the mags to drop free.

After a few tries I reshaped the bow so that it no longer interferes with the magazines, I adjusted the pre-travel and over-travel.
I function checked the gun and everything checks out ok.
The trigger also feels much better now that it isn't rubbing on the mag.