The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
bamaranger

870 fix, reliable as before

In 1985 I bought myself a rem 870 Mag as a graduation present and to replace my heirloom savage pump. The 870 has soldiered on for over 25 years, but in recent years started exhibiting "failure to feed up" problems. Often this was after shooting a spring gobbler, and I dismissed the problem as awkward position and shooter error in the excitement of the moment. But in a recent outlaw 3 gun match, both the boy and I had trouble with the old gun not bring ammo up crisply to the chamber mouth.

A new carrier dog spring helped, but did not entirely resolve the problem. A new carrier assembly, courtesy Midway, did. Runs like it was new. I would not have thought that you cold wear this part out, the gun has always been well maintained, but clearly that was the problem..l
Old November 7, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Chad.C

Nice to hear that the problem was an easy fix now its time to get revenge on that turkey
Old November 8, 2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Virginian

Really nice to read of someone who had an issue and FIXED it. Kudos to you. Somewhat rare on the internet, and let's face it, most shotguns are not rocket science.
Through 13 Model 1100s/1187s and 6 model 870s, the ONLY part I have ever had fail on any of them was an extractor in 1982. And that was on my 1963 Model 1100, which I bought new and still have. I have fixed dozens of other people's and I have seen about everything possible broken on them. With some owners the reason is patently obvious, but I really can't tell you why that is overall. But, with a little TLC every few decades they will certainly soldier on still.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
jmr40

Nobody would expect to buy a new car in 1985 and still be driving it without replacing some worn out parts. Guns are no different. Shotguns and 22's get shot more than most centerfire hunting rifles and I'd expect more worn parts on them than big game rifles.

It's the parts that don't work out of the box or wear out faster than they should that are troublesome.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:49 PM   #5
bamaranger

BTW

Oh yeah, a nifty way to drift the pin/carrier assembly out is to find a phillips head screw driver of the correct diameter instead of the armorer's "silver bullet".

I'd like to be able to say that I thought of that, but I found it on You-Tube.