The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Tuna2o3

Response From Dave Reichert D WA

Here is the response i received from Congress man Reichert. Seems like a fence sitter. No response from WA Senators yet

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding Second Amendment rights and related legislation. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

Over the course of the last year, the United States has witnessed tragic shooting events in several parts of the country, including the most recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. In response, some have called for legislation to address the online sale of ammunition as well as the possession of ammunition feeding devices. As you may know, several related measures were introduced in the 112th Congress. Rest assured, should these measures come before the House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind and give them thorough consideration.

I share your concern about gun violence in America. This difficult issue requires a thoughtful approach and consideration of many related issues, including the services available to those suffering from mental illness. Please know that I am already working with my colleagues on how we can address these issues, including increasing school safety. In a previous Congress, I offered an amendment that would have authorized resources to enhance and improve school safety by modernizing and upgrading school technology and infrastructure to ensure schools are properly prepared for the unthinkable (H.R. 2187). We have an obligation as Americans to make sure that our nation's youth are protected from harm's way  these heart-breaking tragedies must be stopped.

As a law enforcement officer for 33 years, I realize in a very personal sense just how dangerous weapons are in the wrong hands. I am concerned about the violence that results from criminal use of firearms and the incidence of criminal possession of firearms. However, I believe the best way to deal with crime is not to limit the availability of firearms to law-abiding citizens, but to enforce our laws to ensure that criminals do not obtain weapons in the first place and are penalized for their misuse. These criminals must be held accountable to our laws.

I believe Congress has a responsibility to ensure that legislation holds up to constitutional scrutiny, and I am a strong defender of the Second Amendment, which permits citizens to keep and bear arms. As we move forward into the 113th Congress, my colleagues in Congress and I must come together in a bipartisan manner to help find effective solutions to prevent these horrible tragedies from ever occurring without violating the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
hermannr

I believe Dave Richert is registered as a Republician, not a democrat. He may be a RINO, but he is not a registered democrat
Old January 25, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
MLeake

His reply seemed more pro-2A than fence-sitting to me, but maybe I read it differently.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
JimDandy

I think he is pro-2A... well mostly. He's probably a couple steps above what's been referred to lately as a "Fudd". His districts is a currently red dot in a lake of blue. He has to toe the work-together and bi-partisanship line pretty well. The whole They-made-a-movie-of-me-catching-the-Green-River-Killer-thing will only keep him in office for so long.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

I don't care what his views are on guns, as long as he promises he wont vote for magazine restrictions or a new AWB.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 28, 2013, 06:25 PM   #6
MLeake

He could vote for mandatory checks, or even registration, and that would be cool?

Are EBR guys becoming this generation's Fudds?

We need to stand firm.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

Sorry when I posted that I meant all laws in general. He can dislike guns as much as he wants as long as he doesn't vote to hinder them in any manner.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 28, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
MLeake

Thanks for the clarification. Some of the other EBR guys are already discussing which babies to throw to the wolves. So far, you had not, so I thought you might correct your wording.

Regards,

M
Old January 29, 2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Tuna2o3

well got a response from Maria Cantwell finally and cant say I'm surprised but still was hoping.

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions intended to reduce gun violence. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes and to create new tools for further background checks.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate assault weapons (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and makes it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently awaiting further debate and review.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.
Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator
Old January 29, 2013, 08:45 AM   #10
terzmo

I don't think Reichert is on the fence. He claims harsher penalties for criminals and the right to bear arms but the wording is not strong enough,to Me at least, that He wouldn't support some issues that restrict the law abiding citizen as in NY with cuomo.

The pro gun control people in NY and the rest of the Country don't understand the SAFE Act. They don't understand that it mostly affects law abiding citizens who already are following established laws. They are totally ignoring the criminals, and mental issues. Prohibition didn't work and as with guns, if a criminal or mental midget wants a gun they will get them whether they are ALL legally banned. Criminals will have even more confidence knowing they are the only ones with guns.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:26 PM   #11
hermannr

Got exactly the same letter from Cant (do it) well.