The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Brenneke Torpedo bullets ???

I came across 5 old,old,old boxes of Brenekee Torpedo bullets and wondering what the heck these things are(the previous owner had no idea also). They have a pointed tip and base.(Yes base) Is anyone familiar with these things and can they still be reloaded safetly?(dont see why not) Talk about a boat tail, These things are the king of boat tails.lol I cut one in half and it seems that all the lead is in the rear of the bullet and none up front. Im thinking these things are from the 50's or 60's and would appreciate if anyone can give me any info or load data for these creatures. Thanks.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2
nate45

I remember my Dad had some of them in loaded cartridges, they were 7x57R for his Brno drilling which was a 12ga over a 7x57R ( a 7x57R is the same as a 7x57 Mauser only with a rim) I believe they weighed 154 grs if I,m not mistaken. You do not say what caliber they are, do you know?

The Brennake?(I'm not sure of the correct spelling) torpedo is a German hunting bullet it was designed for big game.

I wish I had my Cartridges of the World book with me I'm sure it tells about them.

As far as loading data goes you do not say what caliber they are or which cartridge you would load them in.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Scorch

Brenneke Torpedo bullets are a big game bullet. They are considered one of the best in the world. They are tremendously expensive. I used to loda Torpedos in my 9.3 about 25 years ago.
Old June 22, 2008, 09:28 AM   #4
mikenbarb

Their 30 cal. and 180 grain. Perfect for what I use them for. Is there any reloading data available for these or just go by the book? Im not sure if its the same data as a 180 boattail or not with the weird end.
Im loading into a 300 win mag. Im gonna do some surfing and see what I come up with.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The only manual I have that even mentions Brenneke TIG and TUG (Torpedo Ideal Geschloss and Torpedo Universal Geschloss) makes no difference between them and other bullets of the same weight and caliber.

I'd use up a box or two to develop loads and feel confident the rest would handle anything the caliber was good for.
Old June 22, 2008, 02:52 PM   #6
mikenbarb

Load data

Im going to load up some different loads tonight after humidity drops. Im going to start from the bottom of the scale and work my way up till I find what they like. This is gonna be COOL and cant wait till I see how they shoot. And I gotta try them out on a couple wet phone books to see how they expand. Does anyone know why they arent made anymore? From what I have read, they are supposed to be very accurate.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
arizona98tj

Quote:
Does anyone know why they arent made anymore?
For the most part, torpedo hunting has fallen out of favor with most folks and as such, the need for torpedo bullets dropped with it.
Old June 23, 2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Quote:
Does anyone know why they arent made anymore?
What makes you think they aren't made any more?
http://www.brenneke.de/brenneke_engl/web/start.html
Just you dumb Amerikaners don't want to pay for superior Old World products.
Old June 23, 2008, 08:17 AM   #9
thallub

Quote:
What makes you think they aren't made any more?

Those are really good bullets. Still have some TIG and TUG bullets I'm saving for elk and big hogs. Europeans make some very good controlled expansion bullets.
Old June 23, 2008, 09:04 AM   #10
mikenbarb

Going to try them out.

Jim, Thats the ones I tave. The TUG. Great stuff and thanks for the info. Im goint to the range today with 5 different loads and see what they like. I will let you all know how I make out with them.