The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 11, 2021, 10:48 AM   #1
Classic12

U.S. CARBINE CAL. 30 M1 - Underwood Elliott Fisher Company

Whenever I posted my WWII Tommy gun, references were made to “Combat”, the 60’s television series, which I didn’t know. So I started watching it on internet. In addition to Sgt Saunders’ Thompson, lots of M1 Carbines are featured in the show (as well as Garand and BAR).

I also recently scored 1900 rounds of cheap ammo.

So I started keeping an eye out for one and started learning about them. And as I am on a lucky streak these days, this little rifle popped up on the website of an LGS. He’s been hit hard by restrictions related to Covid, especially at the range which is a big part of his business, and he is offloading lots of weapons with discounts to generate cash.

The gun has some patina but is in very nice condition and the bore is excellent. Price was $ 595.-

It looks like it avoided the post war upgrades

Old March 11, 2021, 10:49 AM   #2
Classic12

Barrel is marked (hard to photograph)

Underwood
2-44
Flaming bomb
“P” proof mark

Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry and Underwood Elliott Fisher initials with the crossed cannons

I was allowed onto the range in order to test fire it

15 shots slow fire at 25 m standing

Then 3 shots to the head slow fire and the rest in rapid fire, at 50 m standing

I think it’ll fit very nicely in my small WWII U.S. weapons collection

S&W Victory

Colt 1911A1

Remington Rand 1911A1

Thompson 1928A1

I’ll need to take a family photo
Old March 11, 2021, 12:31 PM   #3
MC 1911

Heck of a deal!! I let mine go & still regret it.
Old March 11, 2021, 12:37 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic12 View Post
Whenever I posted my WWII Tommy gun, references were made to “Combat”, the 60’s television series, which I didn’t know. So I started watching it on internet. In addition to Sgt Saunders’ Thompson, lots of M1 Carbines are featured in the show (as well as Garand and BAR).

I also recently scored 1900 rounds of cheap ammo.

So I started keeping an eye out for one and started learning about them. And as I am on a lucky streak these days, this little rifle popped up on the website of an LGS. He’s been hit hard by restrictions related to Covid, especially at the range which is a big part of his business, and he is offloading lots of weapons with discounts to generate cash.

The gun has some patina but is in very nice condition and the bore is excellent. Price was $ 595.-

It looks like it avoided the post war upgrades

So you basically stole an M1 Carbine!
That is a screaming deal and nice looking Carbine. They are a lot of fun to shoot, very handy. Congrats!
Old March 11, 2021, 02:04 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Please reduce the size of your pictures.
"...featured in the show..." Odd that a TV show about Americans in W.W. II would "feature" the rifles used by 'em. Some of us have M1 Rifles, M1 Carbines, et al because we watched "Combat". Suggest you watch some "Rat Patrol" so you can squander the rest of your disposable income on jeeps. snicker.
Oh and $595 is really cheap for a Carbine. And there's no such thing as an "all correct" Carbine or a matching numbers M1 Rifle.
Old March 11, 2021, 02:30 PM   #6
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Please reduce the size of your pictures.
"...featured in the show..." Odd that a TV show about Americans in W.W. II would "feature" the rifles used by 'em. Some of us have M1 Rifles, M1 Carbines, et al because we watched "Combat". Suggest you watch some "Rat Patrol" so you can squander the rest of your disposable income on jeeps. snicker.
Oh and $595 is really cheap for a Carbine. And there's no such thing as an "all correct" Carbine or a matching numbers M1 Rifle.

I am not a native English speaker, English is my third language. However I don’t see the problem with the use of the word feature :

I didn’t mention “all correct”
Old March 11, 2021, 07:48 PM   #7
taylorce1

I love my .30 Carbine (disposable Universal model)! It's fun to shoot that's for sure. I'd love to have a GI M1 carbine, but as long as my little Universal keeps rocking, I don't have to miss out on the fun. I think I spent around $200 on it, and have way more than that in ammo!
Old March 11, 2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Maxwell Haus

Quote:
I am not a native English speaker, English is my third language. However I don’t see the problem with the use of the word feature :

Don't worry at all, your grammar is much more correct than the guy giving you a hard time . Not sure what the heck he is even saying to be honest. Very nice deal you got on that carbine, congrats. Great pics also, really shows off those gems in your collection .
Old March 12, 2021, 12:48 AM   #9
NWPilgrim

Quote:

I thought your post was great! Many a SAA and lever action were purchased on nostalgia of the Westerns as well. I grew up with a 1916 Win 94 from a real life cowboy, my grampa. I did get an M1 Garand and AR15 initially to remember the service of my Dad and older brother.

WWII had such a broad collection of very fine small arms. A worthy commemoration to base a collection around that. I have a Garand, Carbine and 1911. Would love to have a transferable BAR.
Old March 12, 2021, 08:33 AM   #10
zincwarrior

Very nice. Old style flip sights and bolt locking button.
Old March 12, 2021, 12:56 PM   #11
Ed4032

Incredible museum quality unmolested and beautiful m1. I am so jealous!!!! Combat was my favorite show when I was growing up.
Old April 12, 2021, 05:24 AM   #12
Classic12

I forgot I made a video while shooting it last month

https://youtu.be/pdmMw0GqzpM

Hickock’s video is a bit more elaborated

https://youtu.be/eFqt25BxvFM
Old April 12, 2021, 07:49 AM   #13
2wheelwander

VERY nice collection!! Great score on that M1. May I ask what country you are in?
Old April 12, 2021, 08:18 AM   #14
Jim Watson

For a Carbine to remain in that early configuration is very unusual.

There certainly is such a thing as a correct Carbine and you may have one.
No contractor made all the parts that went into their Carbines, although Underwood made the highest proportion and turned out a lot of extra barrels for other builders and as replacements.
Old April 12, 2021, 10:11 AM   #15
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post
VERY nice collection!! Great score on that M1. May I ask what country you are in?

Switzerland
Old April 13, 2021, 03:28 PM   #16
GarandTd

I don't know much about the regular pricing of M1 carbines, but I feel like that was a great deal. Looks nice too. I don't think I'd want a classic service rifle without a little patina on it, though I have to give my CMP M1 Garand a pass. It has no patina. My Gewehr 98 has enough patina to make up for it.