The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 4, 2015, 01:27 PM   #1
CodeSection

Octane 9 or .45 vs Revolution 9 or .45

Recently purchased a CZ Scorpion (should be delivered today). I now want a suppressor that I could use on it as well as on my Sig P228 9mm and Sig P229 .40. Initially, started researching the differences between the Octane and the Ti-Rant suppressors since I've read good reviews on both.

I've tried to find it here but could not, but I believe somewhere on this forum I read a post from Theohazard (?) that compared the Octane and Ti-Rant and wrote something to the effect:

- They both are similar in size
- They both can be disassembled
- Supposedly their pistons can be changed without a tool
- Supposedly Octane can be disassembled without tools, Ti-Rant supposedly needs tools
- Octane has stainless steel baffles, Ti-Rant has aluminum baffles
- Supposedly stainless steel baffles are easier to clean and are less likely to "weld" together as compared with aluminum baffles

Based upon the above, it appears the Octane has a slight advantage over the Ti-Rant.

Someone mentioned that the Revolution 45 might be the better than the Octane or T-Rant as it has "Titanium Nitride baffle coating increases wear resistance 5 times over an untreated stainless surface and improves cleaning efficiency". Plus it was pointed out the Revolution can be reduced in size, giving the best of the Octane and Ti-Rant.

What are your thoughts and experiences on the above cans?

I realize a 45 can will be slightly louder than a 9mm can, but I wanted to use the can on the .40. Am I wrong in thinking about it this way?

I appreciate all comments!

Thanks!
Old November 4, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
OcSpeed

I'm happy with aluminum. I have the Osprey 45. I don't shoot lead, or 22 ammo through it so I don't care about breaking it down.
The 45 is slightly louder on a 9mm than a dedicated 9mm, silencer. If you want best in class suppression go with a dedicated 9mm, if you want great suppression and ability to be multi-caliber go with a 45 or 40 can.

In my opinion, it probably doesn't matter what you buy first as you'll probably buy more later.
Old November 4, 2015, 02:45 PM   #3
rjrivero

Octanes click together baffles create a "tube in a tube" making cleaning much easier.
Old November 4, 2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Theohazard

CodeSection: Here's the thread I originally wrote comparing those cans:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534697

Though I should add that I got one thing wrong in that post: The Ti-Rant has all aluminum baffles except for the first one, which is stainless steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSection
Supposedly stainless steel baffles are easier to clean and are less likely to "weld" together as compared with aluminum baffles
Stainless baffles are easier to clean, but -- like rjrivero said -- what makes the Octane easier to take apart than the Ti-Rant is the click-together baffle design, not the baffle materiel.

Also, keep in mind that the Osprey and Ti-Rant won't be able to attach directly to the Scorpion's 18x1 metric threads; those threads are too big for a piston. The Octane is the only one of the three that has removable back end mounts for fixed barrels, and SilencerCo makes a 18x1 fixed-barrel mount for the Octane.

I don't know how to compare those cans to the Revolution; I don't know anything more about it than what Griffin Armament says on their website.

Quote:
I realize a 45 can will be slightly louder than a 9mm can
Normally that's true, but SilencerCo sells the 9mm Octane end cap separately, and if you put it on the Octane 45 it's quieter with 9mm than the Octane 9 is.

Last edited by Theohazard; November 5, 2015 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 4, 2015, 10:19 PM   #5
CodeSection

Thanks Theohazard, that is the thread I was looking for! I did not know the end cap could be replaced. It appears Griffin Armament Revolution .45 has the same capability. http://www.silencershop.com/accessor...9-end-cap.html

Based upon the end cap changing feature along with the stainless steel baffles that have titanium nitride coating and being able to shorten the suppressor, I am leaning toward the Revolution .45.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited by CodeSection; November 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old November 5, 2015, 12:21 AM   #6
Sharkbite

I have both an Octane 45 and a TiRant 9 (although my TiRant is a 9S).

The Octane is a much more versatile system. More pistons avail, different size end caps and fixed barrel mounts

The "click together baffles" are good at keeping the crap off the inside of the tube. The "K" baffles of thr TiRant allow all of the crud to deposit on the inner surface of the tube. Making disassembly harder

Plus the SS baffels are MUCH easier to clean then the aluminum ones in the TiRant.

Octane vs.TiRant....go Octane.
Old November 5, 2015, 01:55 AM   #7
TMD

I had the same dilemma and ended going with the Octane 45. More versatile and with the 9mm end cap it's as quiet as the Octane 9. Also the SS baffles are easier to clean if you shoot lead.
Old November 5, 2015, 02:41 AM   #8
Theohazard

Here's an interesting thread on SilencerTalk.com that I read a while back, and this thread reminded me of it. The original designer of the Octane, Matt Pallett (he didn't move over to SilencerCo when they bought SWR) makes several references to the differences between the Griffin Revolution and the Octane, specifically regarding the tri-lug mount and the baffle design. He points out that Griffin seems to have copied the Octane's CTA baffle design, but he suggests that they missed a few things when they copied it. It's an interesting read.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...p?f=5&t=132152
Old November 5, 2015, 07:54 AM   #9
smee78

I too was in the same boat and ended up going with the Octane 45, it covered more bases and had alot of options to mount it. I also liked that they released a 9mm end cap so if I'm only shooting 9mm I can change the end cap out to quiet it even more. Good luck with your choice.
Old November 5, 2015, 08:43 PM   #10
lockedcj7

I've also been looking at both (among others) and decided to go with the innovative arms shepherd .45
Old November 5, 2015, 09:58 PM   #11
CodeSection

Thanks for the link Theohazard! Certainly, Matt Pallet effectively introduces doubt into the discussion. I wish he would be specific rather than making a statement in effect of "trust me" (my words, my interpretation).

Perhaps the discussion relating to the Griffin lug on an Octane and the debate of reason against it such as expanded chamber, doesn't really apply to my situation....that being trying to decide between the two.

I plan on reading more on silencertalk in hopes I can find someone comment on the Revolution .45.

With that said, I have read that having the baffles align in a notched system allows for greater accuracy since they are put together the same way each and every time. I thought both the Octane and Revolution had that type of baffles interlocking. No?
Old November 6, 2015, 01:26 AM   #12
Theohazard

Quote:
Perhaps the discussion relating to the Griffin lug on an Octane and the debate of reason against it such as expanded chamber, doesn't really apply to my situation....that being trying to decide between the two.
Yeah, the part about the tri-lug mount doesn't apply to your situation, but that wasn't what I was talking about; I was specifically referring to Matt Pallet's comments on the differences in the two baffle designs.

Quote:
With that said, I have read that having the baffles align in a notched system allows for greater accuracy since they are put together the same way each and every time. I thought both the Octane and Revolution had that type of baffles interlocking. No?
They both have a very similar design and they both appear to click together the same way, but -- at least on the Octane -- there's nothing making sure the baffles line up the same way each time, those notches in the baffles are supposed to line up, but they don't do it automatically; the user has to manually line them up. The reason for those notches has to do with gas flow, and they work best when they're lined up.

(I wouldn't worry much about accuracy on a pistol can. Considering very few people can shoot a handgun to its accuracy potential anyway, and add it the fact that a can doesn't change accuracy much either way, and it adds up to the can not making a noticable difference in accuracy in most situations. However, a can often makes a noticable shift in the bullets's point-of-impact. But even if you perfectly align the notches in the baffles, there's nothing to keep the baffle stack aligned the same way every time you disassemble and reassemble it. That's why you use the LID to adjust your point-of-impact; just pull out on the can when it's mounted to the gun and rotate it. Do this until you have the desired point-of-impact. And it will stay the same until you disassemble the baffles or the LID assembly.)

If you look at the Griffin baffles, they're very similar to the Octane baffles, but they're not identical. In that Silencer Talk thread, Matt Pallet references the differences after someone asked him this: "Just out of curiosity, how does it make you feel that Griffin made an almost exact replica of the Octane?"

He replied, "Love it. I laughed when I saw it at SHOT this year. He missed several subtle things though (no I won't say what they are)."

Apparently he doesn't want to go in to details and give away industry secrets, but I'm inclined to take his word for it considering he doesn't work for SilencerCo and he has no involvement with the Octane anymore.
Old November 6, 2015, 02:11 AM   #13
CodeSection

Thanks for the clarification Theohazard. I've been reading postings on Silencertalk and I'm surprised that I could not find much Griffin topic headings....

Old November 8, 2015, 08:27 PM   #14
CodeSection

Any Griffin Revolution .45 users out there? If so, please share your experiences....