The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 6, 2020, 02:14 PM   #1
mulespurs

I need a 350 legend barrel for an ar-15.

Can I expect 1 MOA and good function /feed ramp wise with cast bullets from a $100 barrel or spend $250 on a wilson combat barrel?

I want 5/8" threads on the muzzle and feed ramps that I won't have to modify I hope.
Old June 6, 2020, 07:30 PM   #2
ndking1126

Depends on who makes the $100 barrel. I wouldn't expect 1 moa but you might get lucky. Reliable feeding you can probably expect though.
Old June 7, 2020, 12:30 AM   #3
Scorch

I have seen several 350 Legends in my shop for feeding issues. Especially with cases that headspace on the case mouth, be sure you radius the mouth of the chamber or the case mouth will hang up on the edge of the chamber. Also make sure your feed ramps are smooth or you can buckle the cases as they feed if they hang up on the ramps. Other than that, go for it.
Old June 7, 2020, 08:20 PM   #4
zoo

Have you considered Faxon?

https://faxonfirearms.com/rifle-barr...15/350-legend/
Old June 7, 2020, 08:29 PM   #5
9x19

Lots of good info, and some cautions, in this thread on a .350 Legend AR build

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=604624
Old June 8, 2020, 01:56 AM   #6
stagpanther

The first Faxon I got the chamber was cut incorrectly; but that was when Winchester was still playing around with the specs--and I ended up kabooming a cartridge in my AR. They sent me a replacement and it works--but not especially accurate. I bought an axis as well as a "reality check"--it does shoot very well. Since I reload my ammo the 9mm Luger in drag aspect of the legend is a "irritant" to me personally--but I read reports of hunters that live in states that only allow sticks and rocks to be thrown at deer that the legend works well for them.
Old June 9, 2020, 04:28 PM   #7
zoo

Stagpanther

Seems it took a little while for feed ramps to get properly engineered for the Legend 350 round in AR platform rifles. Several rifle barrel makers and Lego builders moved up early on to 300 blackout feed ramps for that caliber and are now also using them for the 350.

I see Faxon moved up to one large groove for the 350 like they have on the larger calibers like .450 Bushmaster, etc. Faxon's seem to work great for the 350L too, at least as it relates to a 12.5 Faxon AR barrel. Faxon accuracy? Seems pretty good to me at least on a 12.5" barrel. Bear Creek Arsenal has inexpensive barrels made by Ballistic Advantage if I understand correctly. I've used an 18" AR barrel of theirs which reliably fed and had better accuracy than the 12.5" from Faxon. Although, I think for longevity the Faxon is going to hold up better.
Old June 9, 2020, 07:43 PM   #8
stagpanther

The original specs were "confused" and in some cases resulted in way too much headspace tolerance which, among other issues, resulted in the head/web area of the case being unsupported in some chambers using some manufacturer's brass. I ended up with one such barrel--as did others--and there was a rash of bulged cases and some kabooms, which I also had. I wasn't just an amateur home builder who imagined this, a major manufacturer of high-end custom semi-autos ran into the same thing. Same kind of thing happened with the roll-out of the valk when there were different "flavors" of chamber reamers being used in the beginning.

The replacement Faxon barrel runs fine--but not as accurately as a bolt gun IMO. I don't expect anyone will be showing up at a precision match with a 350 legend any time soon.

Scorch:
Quote:
be sure you radius the mouth of the chamber or the case mouth will hang up on the edge of the chamber.
I'd like to add a warning to that--make sure your headspace tolerance doesn't potentially allow the case head up to the top of your case web to be unsupported--which is exactly what happened to me and others. This can happen if you radius the chamber face mouth too deeply (my barrel came that way, I didn't radius it myself).

Last edited by stagpanther; June 9, 2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old June 9, 2020, 08:23 PM   #9
zoo

Stag, certainly not calling you an amateur, brother. Hope you don't mind me calling you brother either, lol. Just sayin that was early on in the world of the 350L. I've challenged most calibers on AR uppers at 10" metal plates from 200 yards at my local range. Scoped or not! Lol, just sayin. The 350 is impressive and quite frankly holds quite a punch. At least it does in my hands.

Gotta admit,

"I don't expect anyone will be showing up at a precision match with a 350 legend any time soon."

Well, naturally. And certainly at any distance over 200 yards.
Old June 9, 2020, 08:44 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag, certainly not calling you an amateur, brother.
I called myself an amateur--because I am. Sorry if it seemed I was reacting to your post negatively, I wasn't. I just sorta Jumped on the legend bandwagon (aka ate the hype hook line and sinker) when it was first rolled out. The only really interesting thing to me about it is that it brought about some aerodynamic 9mm bullets.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 10, 2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old June 13, 2020, 10:34 PM   #11
zoo

Quote:
The only really interesting thing to me about it is that it brought about some aerodynamic 9mm bullets.
Flatter shooting than a 300 Blackout too by a tad. Also works great in short barrels, certainly better than 5.56.
Old July 6, 2020, 10:39 PM   #12
zoo

I don't mean to start a run on the magazines but the DuraMag SS AR15 .350 20 round magazines function quite well in the AR rifles and pistols.

https://www.themagshack.com/shop/cpd...ound-magazine/

Ask for a heads up via their email notice process to shoot you an email when restocked. They don't seem to have a limit on how many you order.

Last edited by zoo; July 6, 2020 at 10:47 PM.