The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 9, 2020, 04:58 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Springfield Armory Saint Opinions

There is some info out there and on here on them but I was hoping for a current opinion of the Saint AR-15. I wasn't planning on buying one, in fact I've been saving to buy a Winchester 1873 in 44-40. However, a friend of mine who bought one a month ago that has all of 30 rounds through it was recently offered a job in Colorado where such rifles are generally frowned upon. He doesn't want to take it with him.

He offered to sell it to me at a stupid low price so long as I didn't sell it right away for a profit and he gets to shoot it when he is back in town every so often.

It's a vanilla Saint AR, so far as I know it's the basic model though he did add a sling. Not what I was planning on, I'm not really a huge black rifle guy, but I think I'd be stupid to pass up the price.

Thoughts on the Springfield platform of AR?

Thanks!
Old February 10, 2020, 12:37 AM   #2
50 shooter

Basically you get a tuned up AR that you pay a little extra for. If you can build your own, you could do exactly what they have done. Only you could do it cheaper.

Price it on a few different big box stores and Gun Broker, then ask yourself if the price your friend is asking is worth it.

If you're both happy, buy it.
No time for rearranging.
Old February 10, 2020, 01:28 AM   #3
'88Scrat

$450

He wants $450, though it's purely speculation I think his wife may have had a say in him parting with it. There's more to that story but I'll leave it alone.

Told ya it was stupid low...
Old February 10, 2020, 02:12 AM   #4
50 shooter

If that's what he wants for it, do it tomorrow and run like hell!!!

Don't argue, haggle, think about it... put the cash in his hand and shake the other while you're leaving. If that's what he wants for it, you're stealing it!

Buy a case of ammo or two with the leftover cash that you'll have. Then hit the range and post some pics of your new toy.
No time for rearranging.
Old February 10, 2020, 12:01 PM   #5
'88Scrat

Called him up earlier and its done.

My 44-40 can wait for another month or two.
Old February 10, 2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I think you did ok if you snagged if for $450. Even building your own, it's hard to beat that price and the Springfield might have some upgraded parts over what you might buy building your own to hit that price point.
Old February 10, 2020, 02:35 PM   #7
ms6852

The cheapest I found online for the Saint AR is $688 brand new. So you've done well. Now you can sell it and add the profit towards your Winchester .
Old February 10, 2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Sharkbite

I live in Colorado...i’ll buy it right NOW for that price.
Old February 13, 2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Old 454

I have the ar15 saint... damn good shooting ar15..... I have had mine since they came out and have thousands of rounds through mine and not one problem
Old February 13, 2020, 07:32 PM   #10
stephen426

Great deal on a nice rifle. I think it will grow on you even if you intended to buy a lever gun first. Shoot it and enjoy it. .223/5.56 is pretty affordable to shoot so enjoy the great deal you got.

As for people offering to buy the rifle at the price you got it, they either didn't read your entire post (specifically about keeping the gun and not flipping it) or they don't respect friends.