The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 30, 2019, 02:38 PM   #1
USNRet93

Since this is a Revolver section

Bought my eldest son Uberti Cattleman in 45LC...supposed to be for his 43rd birthday in Jan BUT I had to make sure it worked. Love the old school SA only and ‘gate’ to load/unload...
What a giggle. Felt great, very accurate and FUN. My 2 kids have a great selection, means I don’t have to buy any for me....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 30, 2019, 03:33 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Congratulations

I’m not a single action shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 30, 2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Hawg

I have a Uberti/Cimarron in 44-40. Beats the hell out of any double action.
Old November 30, 2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Nanuk

Quote:
In what way? You are aware the DA revolvers are capable of Single action.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 30, 2019, 04:57 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

The handling qualities are legendary and for many of us, they have a much better feel than any double action. Admittedly, they are much slower on the reload. It's an entirely acceptable trade- off for me.
Old November 30, 2019, 05:55 PM   #6
rclark

Nice! I have a Cattleman in .44 Special. Yep, nothing like a o' Single Action. Enjoy!

Only thing I don't care about the Cattleman is the retractable firing pin... So not a 'clone' of the real thing....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 30, 2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Only thing I don't care about the Cattleman is the retractable firing pin... So not a 'clone' of the real thing....
Unless the new ones are different from the old ones, that can be replaced. Contact VTI Gun Parts.
Jeepaholic
Old November 30, 2019, 06:17 PM   #8
rclark

Thanks! May have to look into that. Because of the firing pin, the hammer doesn't have the safety notch either, so you don't have the four clicks, just three. Minor maybe ... but still different .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 30, 2019, 06:32 PM   #9
pete2

Have you ever actually used a Smith&Wesson????
Old November 30, 2019, 07:50 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Beats the hell out of any double action.
Quote:
I think its pretty clear the way he means is his personal enjoyment of shooting, not any kind of "what's better in a gunfight" type comparison.

Me, I'm kind of a "heretic" I do love single action revolvers, I find mine immensely enjoyable as well as practical and effective. But, I'm not a Colt SAA (or clone) or nothing kind of guy, in fact I find Colts nice, but "meh".

I love the Ruger New Model Single action. And I even commit the additional "sin" of putting pachmayr grips on some of them.

If your a historical purist, you go Colt. If you're a traditionalist, a close copy will do. I consider my SA affectation a practical "obsession". I've always felt the Ruger was the SA that Colt would have made, if only they knew how.

Coil springs, decent adjustable sights, safe to carry with 6, the New Model Blackhawk is what I want to USE, more than a historically correct piece.

and yes, I have S&Ws DA and I love them too, just differently.
Old November 30, 2019, 09:15 PM   #11
shurshot

I picked up an Uberti El Patron .45 Colt last summer... it has been in my waistband ever since. Fits my hand like a glove! Only thing I did was replace the wood grips with fake Ivory grips from Arizona Grips. Well made gun.
Old November 30, 2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think some of it boils down to indoctrination. I grew up during the heyday of the television westerns (The Lone ranger, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Lash LaRue, Maverick, Gunsmoke, Lawman, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, The Rebel, Colt .45, etc.), and all the John Wayne cowboy movies. For a kid in those days, there were only two handguns: the Colt .45 six shooter for cowboy stuff, and the Colt .45 (even if it was a Remington Rand, but we didn't know that then) "automatic" if you wanted to win WW2 single-handed like John Wayne in The Fighting Seabees.

I was fully indoctrinated and brainwashed. I carry 1911s even today, and I have a weakness for SAA clones. I actually own a Blackhawk, but it's just a gun, it's not "real."
Jeepaholic
Old December 1, 2019, 11:11 AM   #13
bedbugbilly

I have a number of Uberti SA revolvers - all great guns. One of my favorite is the 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt. I use the traditional Lyman/Ideal 454-190 RNFP over Red Dot and it is deadly accurate. My first shot at 59 yards with it was dead center in the bull - beginner's luck! I love shooting mine and have loaded both 45 Colt as well as 45 Schofield for it. Your son will love his birthday gift - but you BOTH need one! :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 1, 2019, 03:11 PM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
I have a number of Uberti SA revolvers - all great guns. One of my favorite is the 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt. I use the traditional Lyman/Ideal 454-190 RNFP over Red Dot and it is deadly accurate. My first shot at 59 yards with it was dead center in the bull - beginner's luck! I love shooting mine and have loaded both 45 Colt as well as 45 Schofield for it. Your son will love his birthday gift - but you BOTH need one! :-)
Well, it’s rare that I go shoot without one or both of them....so I get to use their Ruger 556, Henry lever, S&W 686/7...and now the Uberti...

The ‘other’ wants a Glock 20 for his birthday in June....probably, even tho he has a G45...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 11, 2019, 02:06 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I think some of it boils down to indoctrination. I grew up during the heyday of the television westerns ….
Yes, but indoctrination goes a couple different ways. Actually met Roy Rodgers once, and the fellow who played Festus on Gunsmoke, though I'd have to look up his name now...hell getting old ain't it?

But while I had countless toy SAs and cap guns, never got to learn a real one until I got a Blackhawk in 1983. My Dad had 1911s, and S&Ws he never liked the SA grip, so he didn't own any. So the guns I got to learn on didn't include any Single Action revolvers.

When I got my own, a 7.5" New Model Ruger Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt /.45ACP I fell in love. Not because John Wayne or any other cowboy carried one, but because it was such a sweet gun. Coil Springs, adjustable sights, safe to carry with all 6 loaded, no need to half cock to load or unload. Always felt the Ruger was the gun Colt would have made, if only they'd known how...

AND, because I began with a Blackhawk, I never had any special reverence for the Colt, or copies.

There's a lot of people who don't get it. They want a shot every time they pull the trigger, as fast as they can pull the trigger and a gun that doesn't empty until they get tired of pulling the trigger. Today's semis just about do that. But there some of us who want each shot a deliberate act, repeating a few AIMED shots rather than speed shooting multiple rounds.

It gives me definite pleasure "yarding back the hammer" for each shot. Some of us get pleasure from operating the mechanism, along with the end result. One might consider it Schiessenvergnugen.

Its not a combat thing, its not a race thing, it a joy of shooting thing. And, its a connection with HISTORY. People still shoot muzzle loaders too. And lever guns, and ..and...gasp! Single shots!

Even if my Rugers aren't "period correct" for the old west, for me its close enough and more effective. I also enjoy driving a good standard transmission car. More work than an automatic, but somehow, worth it, most of the time.
Old December 11, 2019, 07:24 AM   #16
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Nice! I have a Cattleman in .44 Special. Yep, nothing like a o' Single Action. Enjoy!

I have been looking for reports of the firing pin being unreliable in heavy use like Cowboy Action Shooting, i.e. suggesting its immediate modification to a regular firing pin and regression to a five-shot gun. Going to three-click is not a bad thing, seems to me, because the first click wasn't used anyway (or shouldn't be relied on, forcing the gun to only be loaded with five and none under the hammer). I have handled a 3-click and found it to be no issue.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Carmady

"the fellow who played Festus on Gunsmoke"

Ken Curtis
Old December 11, 2019, 10:59 AM   #18
JimCunn

I learned on 3-screw Ruger SA. Still prefer them.
Old December 14, 2019, 03:11 AM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I'm aware they can be fired DA but they're not set up to be comfortably cocked SA and they have that long hard trigger pull. I do have a couple of DA revolvers, a S&W 1926 3rd model and an H&R Sportsman but they're always fired SA when they're fired which is seldom. I grew up with SA's. I got my first one at the age of 10 so cocking a revolver is second nature to me. It doesn't matter what it is, I'm going to cock the hammer regardless.
Old December 14, 2019, 04:35 AM   #20
TruthTellers

I always found double action revolvers to be more "tactical" in their speed of shooting and reloading, but the past few years I just can't shake the feeling of how good a single action shoots and handles.

That said, the major downsides to a single action is the barrels can only be so short to where ejecting cases becomes and issue, which is why the shortest single actions I typically see are 3 or 3.5 inches. The other issue is so many of them are saddled with the traditional fixed sights that are terrible.

I will not buy a single action revolver with fixed sights, so what that means is I'm usually stuck buying a Ruger, which isn't terrible, but I have a pre-Taurus Heritage that shoots great... just has the terrible fixed sights that never shoot to POA.

It depends on caliber too, I can't say I appriciate the added difficulty of loading a .22 single action. I bought a 9 shot Heritage .22 this year and it's fine for what it is and comes with a .22 Mag cylinder, but it is heavy and if I want a .22 with an 8 or 9 round cylinder that's lighter, the Ruger LCRx is the only other option. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one.
Old December 14, 2019, 10:32 AM   #21
black mamba

Not very much like a Colt SA, more of a modern version on steroids: BFR 5" in 454 Casull w/ UltraDot 30. Since I hunt with it, it's all good! Miles ahead of any Ruger in terms of action, trigger pull and accuracy.

Old December 14, 2019, 12:01 PM   #22
rclark

Quote:
I will not buy a single action revolver with fixed sights,
That's to bad really . Most BP revolvers also have fixed sights. Yes, I've had the barrels turned when necessary, and yes, I have had to file the front sight to bring up POI. And yes, they are setup to shoot a given load. But now they shoot straight and are wonderful to shoot. Also, my Vaqueros have also had action jobs which puts the icing on the cake so to speak. Nothing wrong with fixed sights if you are willing to make 'changes' if necessary. And once set, they are 'set'. So looks good, shoots good ... what else is there? BTW, no scope or rubber grips will ever grace my SAs.... Just me though .
Old December 14, 2019, 01:59 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
Quote:
I will not buy a single action revolver with fixed sights,

That's to bad really . Most BP revolvers also have fixed sights. Yes, I've had the barrels turned when necessary, and yes, I have had to file the front sight to bring up POI. And yes, they are setup to shoot a given load. But now they shoot straight and are wonderful to shoot. Also, my Vaqueros have also had action jobs which puts the icing on the cake so to speak. Nothing wrong with fixed sights if you are willing to make 'changes' if necessary. And once set, they are 'set'. So looks good, shoots good ... what else is there? BTW, no scope or rubber grips will ever grace my SAs.... Just me though .
I will not own a SA centerfire with adjustable sights. Also I will not own a Ruger SA centerfire because of the lockwork. I do own a Ruger Single Six but I'm more lenient when it comes to .22's. Scopes and rubber grips have no place on a SA.
Old December 14, 2019, 02:07 PM   #24
Jim Watson

Quote:
Always felt the Ruger was the gun Colt would have made, if only they'd known how...
Elmer Keith went on at some length about his and his friends efforts to get Colt to modernize the SAA. But by then they were locked into making antique reproductions.

Quote:
Yes I'm aware they can be fired DA but they're not set up to be comfortably cocked SA
Several generations of target shooters managed it before the autos took over.
Guns like Smith Hand Ejector Target and Colt Officer's Model Target took over from No 3 NM Target and Bisley Target in very short order.
Old December 14, 2019, 02:11 PM   #25
Pathfinder45

It's certainly more work to get fixed sights regulated, but it's worth it to me.