The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 9, 2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Anyone have an AR10 that is as reliable as an AR15?

For some reason, every AR10 I’ve ever seen has been temperamental... maybe that’s because most of them were set up as precision rigs; but I’m curious if anyone has an AR10 that has been solidly reliable for them and what AR10?
Old June 10, 2019, 06:36 AM   #2
agtman

My LMT 7.62 LM8 ...

It's like the equally reliable 7.62 MWS (which the Brits adopted), but the LM8 allows you the option of attaching rail sections to the forend, or not, at the 3-, 6-, and 9-o'clock points. So in theory anyway, it can be configured to be a tad lighter than the MWS if you don't need to hang a lot of gear on the gun.

Both rifles are MRP-platforms, so you also get easy barrel-swapping capability with other .308-derivative cartridges - e.g., 260 Rem, 7mm-08, etc.

Only two receiver bolts to deal with. Unscrew the forward bolt and remove it; then loosen the second (rear) bolt. Remove the barrel; install the new one of your choosing. Then replace the forward bolt and tighten both to the factory torque specs. Easy peasy.

The LM8 isn't cheap, however. Nor did I find it to be particularly 'light'-weight, at least as compared to a similarly configured 5.56 AR, after humping it through a 3-day Tac Rifle class.

For that class, the LM8 ran the factory 16" 7.62/.308 C/L barrel with a RDS in a LT mount, and a pair of irons for back-up. Nothing else was attached on the foreend (no hand-grip, no bipod, no forward-mounted light).

It does, however, give you 7.62/.308 firepower, is very accurate, never had a hiccup once, and the LMTs accept SR-25-type magazines, like the Magpul 7.62s, which are readily available and relatively inexpensive (as compared to other .308 ARs with proprietary magazines).

Last edited by agtman; June 10, 2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old June 10, 2019, 07:53 AM   #3
MC 1911

No problems with my Daniel Defense DD5 V1.
Old June 10, 2019, 10:22 AM   #4
BringEnoughGun

I've never had a jam with my Armalite. I've shot factory and reloads with no problems!
Old June 10, 2019, 11:33 AM   #5
riffraff

The other thing to add is solidly reliable after a few thousand rounds. Where I shoot everyone with an AR10 seems to show up with a couple mags and a few boxes of ammo, in a lifetime those rifles might not see 1000 rounds, but owners will tell you how great they are.

One Aero I have went 2000 rounds without a hiccup (my favorite that I use most) then started failing to eject occasionally. A heavy spring and buffer tamed it for another 1000 rounds so far, and Im gonna go for the real fix via an adjustable block I have ready to go - but Id say its perfectly reliable now - it just went over gassed after use.

With DD you get a CHF chrome lined barrel that ought to hold up to erosion longer, plus a dual ejector bolt. If I really had the $$ to burn I might fork it over for one. I have read their match trigger sometimes light strikes though.

Toolcraft makes a dual ejector BCG for the DPMS pattern, at some point Im going to use one of those, reviews are good. I guess my point is you dont have to spend $2500 for a reliable AR10 and reliable needs to be quantified in so many thousand rounds to mean anything.

Last edited by riffraff; June 10, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old June 10, 2019, 04:05 PM   #6
GlenF

My wife has had a DPMS LR308 for about 9 years and her records show she has right at 1800 rounds thru it with no problems at all. Of that 1800 rounds, 50 were factory for initial break in, and the rest have been her hand loads.

Lots of folks at the range we go to have also enjoyed it using their ammo or hers.

She bought it because a fellow at the range let her shoot his LR308, and she was sold on getting one.
Old June 10, 2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Wyosmith

I have owned four D.I.gas AR 10 size rifles, including one actual Armalite AR10, one Bushmaster, one Rock River and one DPMS.
All jammed more then I would like with the Bushmaster being the worst and the Armalite being the 2nd worst.

My current one is a Ruger SR762 piston rifle and it works very well.

The Bushmaster was the least reliable and most accurate.

The Armalite was the least accurate and also not reliable.

The Rock River was the best of the DI gas guns in that is was pretty accurate (around 1.2MOA) and jammed the least (about 1 time per mag) with the DPMS being a bit less reliable (1-2 jams per mag) then the RR but slightly more accurate. (about 1.2 MOA)

My current Ruger is only a solid 1.4MOA rifle with the best ammo I have found so far, but so far it's not ever jammed, not one time. It has about 500-550 rounds through it now.

For me, I'll take 1.3 to 1.5 MOA with 100% reliability any time over 1/2 MOA with 4-5 jams per mag, which is how the Bushmaster was.
Old June 10, 2019, 05:04 PM   #8
agtman

Quote:
I have owned four D.I.gas AR 10 size rifles, including one actual Armalite AR10, one Bushmaster, one Rock River and one DPMS.
All jammed more then I would like with the Bushmaster being the worst and the Armalite being the 2nd worst.
If the rifle jams at all, and the ammo or a finicky magazine didn't cause it, then it's presumptively junk until proven otherwise.

Quote:
My current one is a Ruger SR762 piston rifle and it works very well.
Only time and a high round-count under hard use will tell on your Ruger.

Quote:
The Bushmaster was the least reliable and most accurate.
Accurate junk is still junk.

Quote:
The Armalite was the least accurate and also not reliable.
Inaccurate junk.

Quote:
The Rock River was the best of the DI gas guns in that is was pretty accurate (around 1.2MOA) and jammed the least (about 1 time per mag) with the DPMS being a bit less reliable (1-2 jams per mag) then the RR but slightly more accurate. (about 1.2 MOA)
Except for their stripped lower 5.56 AR receivers (which RRA doesn't actually make), anything else stamped with RRA's name is presumptively junk until proven otherwise. Their so-called NM 'tuned' trigger units for ARs are bump-fires waiting to happen - major junk.

Quote:
My current Ruger is only a solid 1.4MOA rifle with the best ammo I have found so far, but so far it's not ever jammed, not one time. It has about 500-550 rounds through it now.
You're only just getting toward the 'break-in' round-count - or 800-rds fired - for an AR-10. So far it sounds like your Ruger is a solid shooter, but get back to us with a range report after 2K rds fired.

You can thank me then.

Last edited by agtman; June 10, 2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old June 10, 2019, 07:11 PM   #9
Reloadron

My AR10 is an old Armalite AR10(T) and I replaced the original barrel with a 24" heavy match barrel. I bought the rifle maybe 25 years ago before there were a dozen manufacturers making them so Armalite it was using the modified M 14 magazines. Mine is a flat top and I have target sights on it but also have the original sights and a scope mount which I haven't used to speak of. The rifle has always been reliable and never a problem. Since this is my only AR 10 I don't have another to compare it to but after 25 years I have never had a complaint and the rifle has always done its job. The rifle shoots as well as and is as reliable as any of my AR 15 rifles.

I like the idea of the flat top because as can be seen it leave options available to the shooter. I guess if I had it to do again I would.

Ron
Old June 11, 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Old 454

I just got the Brownells Retro AR10

Shot factory and handloads through it.
Not one issue... shot reliably ejected approx 4 to 5 feet at the 2-4 o'clock position
Old June 11, 2019, 01:27 PM   #11
Jsnake711

Ive put all kinds of ammo through my pa10 with zero hiccups
Old June 11, 2019, 07:29 PM   #12
buckey

I've been shooting a year old Armalite with D&H mags and it has been perfect for what I bought it for (around 700 rounds) and as accurate as it needs to be.
Old June 11, 2019, 07:59 PM   #13
stagpanther

To the OP--when you use the term generically "AR10" do you mean specifically chambered for 308/7.62 x 51? Within that context most any of them should operate reliably. Once you go off the reservation into different caliber chamberings it gets trickier as all the factors of barrel harmonics, gas systems etc will vary from the known 308's.
Old June 12, 2019, 05:48 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

I meant generally AR10s of either Armalite or DPMS pattern in any caliber, though most of the ones I’ve seen choking have been 6.5 or .260 now that you mention it.
Old June 12, 2019, 06:37 AM   #15
Logs

I bought a DPMS AR10 and it has ran flawless with both metal mags and Pmags.
Old June 12, 2019, 07:10 AM   #16
44caliberkid

I built my own 308 AR, Ballistic Advantage barrel and a Polymer 80 lower. Feeding, cycling and ejection are without failure, with a variety of magazines, polymer or steel. I do wish it was more accurate though. My 6.5 Creedmore, however, jams the bullet tip around the bolt recesses with everything except SIG 140 grain Match, FMJ, which feeds reliably. Soft tips are a nightmare. But it's a new build and I'm still ironing out the kinks.

Last edited by 44caliberkid; June 12, 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old June 12, 2019, 07:59 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
My 6.5 Creedmore, however, jams the bullet tip around the bolt recesses with everything except SIG 140 grain Match, FMJ, which feeds reliably.
That's why I said it depends on the cartridge. With few exceptions, the common make-up for most AR 10 components is to reliably function with typical NATO spec 7.62 x 51 ammo. Creedmoor is a good example of a high SD bullet--which when seated long, can have issues with getting the necessary lift by the shoulder/ramps before the bullet nose smacks into the chamber face. It becomes a balancing act of "how long can you go" and ensuring the cartridge has a "graceful" ingress/egress. On the other hand, if your rifle is doing that with most everything--and your cartridges are seated within spec, then probably something is wrong with the rifle assembly itself
Old June 12, 2019, 08:01 AM   #18
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC 1911 View Post
No problems with my Daniel Defense DD5 V1.
Ditto.

After going through 6 different ones that others said were "solid" I landed on the Daniel Defense and have been extremely happy with it. Now if DD would just make a 1:7 twist .243Win barrel for that platform.
Old June 12, 2019, 08:10 AM   #19
stagpanther

Quote:
Now if DD would just make a 1:7 twist .243Win barrel for that platform.
Stop waiting and swap out with a 6 creed barrel.
Old June 12, 2019, 08:17 AM   #20
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Stop waiting and swap out with a 6 creed barrel.
Don't have any of that caliber, but 5 .243Wins and buckets of brass.
Old June 12, 2019, 09:29 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Don't have any of that caliber, but 5 .243Wins and buckets of brass.
Just have someone cut the barrel and you're done. I wouldn't hesitate calling McGowen and asking for a 7 twist rifle +2 gas SS barrel 22" medium contour .750 at the block 5/8 24 pitch threaded muzzle and be out the door at about $300.
Old June 12, 2019, 10:24 PM   #22
MarkCO

Yeah, but I would want to keep the .308 barrel too, and DD won't sell me just an extension.
Old June 12, 2019, 10:26 PM   #23
riffraff

Another high end AR10 other than DD that is very interesting is the Barret version. Guess nobody here has one yet, but they have a full auto version so seems like theyd be well verified for reliability.
Old June 12, 2019, 11:48 PM   #24
stagpanther

Quote:
Yeah, but I would want to keep the .308 barrel too, and DD won't sell me just an extension.
They use a proprietary design? I'm not familiar with their rifles.
Old June 13, 2019, 05:44 PM   #25
ROCK6

I skipped the AR10 platform and went to a POF Revolution. A little risk given the market size, but mine has been flawless, even during one class. Only about 1000 rounds through it with zero issues (even some old South African surplus). Far more accurate than I am, and only 7.5 pounds (naked). It has all the typical features I would add to an AR15, so I was pleased, but any AR10 derivative is heavy to run a course with and I don't have noodle arms. This just adds to AR10 party with parts though (the Revolution is a gas piston), but there are only a half-dozen proprietary parts and I already have those on hand. I just much prefer the AR15-sized .308.

ROCK6