The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 16, 2016, 06:52 PM   #426
Ozzieman

Sorry no again.
103 Baker Pocket Pistol
Victorian pocket revolver made by F T Baker of Fleet Street London.

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/baker.htm

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 16, 2016, 06:56 PM   #427
Ozzieman

Lets stay in the Victorian era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110.jpg (69.6 KB, 50 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 16, 2016, 07:53 PM   #428
sgms

That one looks like and early Velo-Dog.
Old December 17, 2016, 06:27 PM   #429
Ozzieman

sgms Again

110 Velo Dog Revolver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog
The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche[1]) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Charles-François Galand in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks.[2] The name is a compound word composed of "velocipede" and "dog".
Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but have certain features in common. The hammer is shrouded to avoid its snagging on clothing, so the weapon is double action only. All have short barrels and originally fired the 5.75 mm (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the Velo-Dogs produced after 1900 accepted .22 LR or .25 ACP rounds. Another feature on many late models Velo-Dogs is the lack of a trigger guard, and a trigger that folds into the body of the weapon when not in use. For the more humane, there were cartridges loaded with cayenne pepper or dust,[4] or which had bullets made from wax, wood or cork.[1
The original revolver uses the Galand company's proprietary 5.75mm Velo-dog cartridge, a centrefire 5.5 mm (nominally 5.75) cartridge slightly less powerful than the 22 Long Rifle, using a jacketed bullet. The cartridge is, or was until very recently, still made by Fiocchi.[5]
Because of the low energy of the round, a suicide case was recorded where a woman shot herself twice in the temple with a .25 (6.35 mm) Velo-dog revolver before succumbing.[6

Old December 17, 2016, 06:30 PM   #430
Ozzieman

This one should be easy but Manufacture and model number to win
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109.jpg (209.2 KB, 53 views)

Old December 17, 2016, 07:27 PM   #431
sgms

I believe that is a Remington Model 1875, if memory serves me well today I believe it would be a .44-40.
Old December 17, 2016, 07:55 PM   #432
Ozzieman

sgms, well at least that one lasted an hour.

109 Remington 1875 Single Action Revolvers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1875
Remington Model 1875 Single Action Army (a.k.a. Improved Army or Frontier Army)[2] was a revolver by E. Remington & Sons. It was based upon the successful Remington Model 1858 with both revolvers having the same size, appearance, and the removable cylinder. The new 1875 Remington differed mainly from the older 1858 percussion model by having a bored through cylinder chambered for metallic cartridges. Thus, in 1875, Remington entered the cartridge revolver market with this big-frame, army style revolver, intended to compete with the Colt Peacemaker.[3] Ordinary citizens and Old West lawmen alike recognized the sturdy quality of the new Remington revolvers.[4] This design was followed by the Model 1888 and the Model 1890.
Overview[edit]
Introduced to compete with Colt's single-action Army revolvers, this Remington design failed to meet with the commercial success made by Colt's model due to the Hartford firm's two-year head start in production and sales.[5]
Also known as the "Improved Army" or "Frontier Army" revolver, this single-action was a competitor to Colt's popular Single Action Army line. By the time of its introduction, however, Colt had already secured contracts with the U.S. Army, and Remington was forced to seek other markets. The U.S. government purchased fewer than 650 for use by Indian police, and another 1000 were sold to the Mexican government circa 1880. The Egyptian government contracted for delivery of 10,000, but few were produced and delivered due to significant unpaid debts owed by the Egyptians for Rolling Block rifles.[2]
Between 25,000 and 30,000 were manufactured during the years 1875–1889 in three different chamberings: .44 Remington Centerfire; .44-40; and .45 caliber. These were not optional; rather, the caliber of production models was determined by their date of manufacture. .45 caliber cylinders were slightly longer to prevent accidental insertion into a .44 frame. Standard features included a fluted cylinder, walnut grip panels, blued or nickel-plated finish with case-hardened hammer and loading gate, and a lanyard ring. Standard barrel length was 7 1/2 inches, although very few revolvers were produced with 5 3/4-inch barrels.[2]
Modern Reproduction[edit]
The Uberti 1875 Outlaw, Frontier, and Police revolvers are reproductions of the famous old Remington 1875 and 1890 revolver, but chambered for more modern smokeless powder cartridges as the .357 Magnum. Cimarron Firearms offers a version built to their specifications by Uberti as well.[6] These modern reproductions have the look and feel of old-west "cowboy" guns, but have the metallurgy common to more modern revolvers.[4]

Old December 17, 2016, 07:57 PM   #433
Ozzieman

And another for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108.jpg (57.8 KB, 57 views)

Old December 17, 2016, 09:30 PM   #434
Scorch

Lefaucheux Brevete Pinfire Single Action Revolver?
Old December 19, 2016, 04:49 PM   #435
Buzzcook

And yet another gun used during the civil war that I hadn't heard of.
Old December 20, 2016, 05:59 PM   #436
Ozzieman

Scorch< we have a winner

108 Lefaucheux M1858 Pinfire Revolver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefaucheux_M1858
The Lefaucheux M1858 was a French military revolver, chambered for the 12 mm pinfire cartridge, based on a design by Casimir Lefaucheux. It was the first metallic-cartridge revolver adopted by a national government.[1] It was first fielded in 1858 by the French Navy, and though never issued by the French Army, it was used in limited numbers by the French Cavalry during their 1862 deployment to Mexico.[2] Models were also purchased by Spain, Sweden, Italy, Russia, and Norway. Along with those countries, both the U.S. Confederate and Federal forces also used them in the American Civil War.
The revolver was a six-shot open-framed design, which was loaded via a hinged gate on the right side of the frame, through which empty cartridges were also ejected via an ejector rod running along the barrel.
The American Civil War[edit]
During the American Civil War both sides fielded a wide variety of revolvers, including the M1858. The Federal forces purchased over 12,000 M1858 revolvers, primarily supplying them to cavalry forces in 1862. However, these pinfire revolvers were replaced in service later in the war as more Colt and Remington revolvers became available.[3] Among American troops, the pistol was often referred to as the "French" Tranter".[4]

Old December 20, 2016, 06:01 PM   #437
Ozzieman

Its not French Again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107.jpg (25.3 KB, 46 views)

Old December 20, 2016, 07:24 PM   #438
Mike Irwin
Staff

Italian Bodeo revolver.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old December 22, 2016, 03:29 PM   #439
Ozzieman

Another one for Mike

107 Italian Model Bodeo 1889 Revolver
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodeo_Model_1889
The Bodeo Model 1889 revolver (Italian: Pistola Rotazione, Sistema Bodeo, Modello 1889) was named after the head Italian firearm commission Carlo Bodeo. It was produced by a wide variety of manufacturers between 1889 and 1931 in both Spain and Italy. It was employed by the Royal Italian Army in World War I, the Interwar Italian colonial wars, and World War II. The Bodeo comes in two distinct varieties with only superficial weapons differences.
History[edit]
Made by a large variety of Italian gunmakers, the Bodeo became the service revolver of the Italian Army in 1891.[2] The revolver was named after the head of the Italian commission that recommended its adoption Carl Bodeo.[3] It remained the principle handgun of the Italian Army until it was increasingly supplanted by the Glisenti Model 1910.[2] The revolver was never declared obsolete and remained as a reserve weapon until the end of World War II.[4] Among the Italian manufacturers identified with the production of the Bodeo include, Societa Siderurgica Glisenti, Castelli of Brescia, Metallurgica Bresciana, and Vincenzo Bernardelli of Gardone Val Trompia.[5] During World War I, Spanish manufacturers, Errasti and Arrostegui of Eibar produced the Bodeo for the Italian government.[5] The Italians nicknamed this revolver coscia d’agnello ("leg of lamb"). During World War II the Wehrmacht designated the Bodeo Revolver 680(i) when utilized as an alternative firearm
The Bodeo Model 1889 is a solid-framed, six-shot revolver.[5] The revolver was designed in two distinct versions: a round-barreled version designed with a trigger guard, and an octagonal-barreled version with a folding trigger.[3] The octagonal-barreled version was produced for rank and file Italian soldiers while the round-barreled version was produced for non-commissioned officers and field officers.[5] The folding trigger version was produced in greater number.[4]
Mechanics[edit]
The Bodeo was considered simple and robust.[3] Because the revolver was made by a wide variety of manufacturers, the quality of the weapon varied greatly with frames being made from a wide variety of materials ranging from brass to brazed copper plates.[7] The gate was connected to the hammer[4] and the barrel was screwed into the frame.[3] Ejection was achieved by the rod normally housed in the hollow axis pin.[3] The hammer block was designed to prevent firing unless the trigger was pulled fully back.[4]

Old December 22, 2016, 03:32 PM   #440
Ozzieman

I'm not much for nickel but this thing is a beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 113.jpg (128.0 KB, 67 views)

Old December 22, 2016, 04:12 PM   #441
2ndsojourn

That looks like one of Driftwood's old Colts.
Old December 23, 2016, 08:57 AM   #442
Ozzieman

Sorry not a Colt

Old December 23, 2016, 09:22 AM   #443
mapsjanhere

Everything on that revolver screams S&W and Schofield, but for the fact that it's not a top break.
Old December 23, 2016, 02:14 PM   #444
seeker_two

Something by Iver Johnson or Harrington and Richards?
Old December 23, 2016, 06:36 PM   #445
Ozzieman

WOW, didn't think this one would go so long.
So far no one is close.
This one is making up for some of the ones that should have been hard that didn't last 15 min.

Old December 23, 2016, 08:34 PM   #446
Ozzieman

A hint
One of the largest manufacture of guns used in the west.

Old December 23, 2016, 10:22 PM   #447
mapsjanhere

Damn, I'd been so close when I thought maybe Winchester Wetmore-Wood and the ejector didn't match, but it's a Winchester Wetmore-Wells
Old December 24, 2016, 09:56 PM   #448
Ozzieman

mapsjanhere, I know, that one got me when I found it. I had no idea that Winchester ever made revolvers

113 Winchester Single Action Revolver
http://gunsoftheoldwest.com/2015/11/...ver-experiment

Old December 24, 2016, 10:19 PM   #449
Ozzieman

I know of one other person for sure on TFL that knows about this gun, w right Bob, if your listening.
This is one from my own collection.
Who built it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 114.jpg (196.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Ozzieman; December 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old December 24, 2016, 11:36 PM   #450
mapsjanhere

Turnbull?