The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
SEHunter

Browning Maxus

The maxus has been out for a year or so now and i was wondering if anybody has any up to date reviews after had having time to give it a true test?

Is is on par with Bennelli semi autos? Thanks.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
jmortimer

I know I want one - here is review from Chuck Hawks' site by Randy Wakeman. http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_maxus_shotgun.htm
It is faster shooting than any other shotgun with possible exception of Winchester SX3 whcih is really a Browning as well.
Shooting times review http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun...maxus_2009202/
Owner reviews from Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0075530217316a.shtml
The gun is obviously loved by actual owners.
I like that it only has one gas piston for light and heavy loads unlike the SX3. I assume the SX3 will have the same gas piston soon.
For me the Browning/Winchester/FN shotguns are the best - defined as reliability, fastest shooting, and felt recoil.
Old August 20, 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
SEHunter

Thanks for the links. The last link at Cabelas that posted testimonys was interesting. This gun sounds good. The only issue i have heard is the forearm being somewhat loose. I dont necessarily see that as a big deal as long as it doesent fall off. Guess its a characteristic of the new latch as opposed to the screw cap. I originally would choose the Winchester SX3 as the next auto loader i own but i may be choosing the Maxus. I bet the Bennelli guys would still say the SBE is better. Next step for me is to shoot the Maxus. I prefer the appearance of it much better than the Gold. It looked too plain imo.
Old August 21, 2010, 03:53 PM   #4
RJM

I own a Browning Silver and a Winchester SX3, probably will own a Maxus if my LBS gets a camoflaged one in sometime soon. I like how the Maxus feels but haven't had a chance to shoot one side by side with my other shotguns. I have several friends who really want their own after having shot the Maxus, so I take that as a positive endorsement. The internals are different from the Silver, much more Gold-like and the pistol is of a different design. My LGS guy says that he has shot light and heavy loads through his without a hitch, plans on duck hunting this year with his.

I sold a SBE to fund the Winchester and can tell you that it is a better gun for me. Much easier to shoot, recoils easier and doesn't have issues like the sbe did, my experience has led me to believe Browning does it right with shotguns. I would think that the Maxus will fit me well and do better than the SBE. The only two Benellis I actually put money down on today would be the super sport and the M4.
Old August 22, 2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Deerhunter

I just got mine yesterday. Got it home and cleaned it all up. I got the 28 inch barrel that will handle the 3.5 inch shells. Plan to use it for ducks and geese mostly. I will be headed out in mid September with some friends for a dove hunt. I will let you know what I think then. So far I love this gun. After 3 months of looking and reading it was my choice.
Old August 23, 2010, 07:21 AM   #6
cosmicblue

Yeah I've just joined the Maxus club too - with a 28" Pr Gr 3 - I only shoot clays. Put 160 1oz carts through it at the weekend - and my scores are about 5% off from my regular Ultra XS OU. All cycled perfectly.

I've cleaned it (didn't take out the trigger group/bolt) but do note that the discharges gases cling to the oil - so it gets kind of messy quickly.

From a shooting perspective - the sight picture seems clearer and thus the confidence is there to to take a decisive shot - and I don't know why! My Ultra XS fits me perfectly and yet the Maxus seems to do it better - weird!

This is my first semi-auto so found the 'clanking' of the action a little disconcerting at first but have a feeling that this will become my primary clay buster.
Old August 23, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Deerhunter

Depending on time I might get it out this weekend to the skeet range. Probably headed to Prince George's County Trap & Skeet Center in MD. Not a far ride from Northern Virginia.

Cleaned mine all up. Didn't take out the trigger group though. Might before I go out and wipe that down also.

I used MilTec 1 in the Army. They sent us a bunch for FREE. I used it and dirt didn't stick to it. I didn't have issues with rounds hanging up or even my M9 (Beretta 92F) mags getting too dirty. Just bought some online. It is a little expensive but they have free shipping and the amount shown includes the tax. I ordered on Sunday and had it Tuesday. Plus like I said they send the stuff to soldiers for FREE. Now that is a company I can support.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you're at PGC this Saturday, check range 4 where the new wobble trap is on the 5 stand setup. The big ol guy in the planter's hat with a 50 straight patch on it is me.

Hope to see ya.....
Old August 24, 2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Deerhunter

Dave

Wish I could make it up there Saturday. Would be good to meet you and get some advice on anything I might be doing wrong. I haven't been on a skeet/trap field since I left Ft. Bragg in 2001. Not going to make it up there until Sunday afternoon though. Maybe another time
Old August 25, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, Sunday's WW's day off and we spend it on family stuff. But if you get up there any Saturday, I'll be glad to shoot with you.
Old August 27, 2010, 06:57 AM   #11
cosmicblue

I'm heading out to the Skeet range with my Maxus too this weekend, I've bought a Skeet choke too - a Browning Midas Gold http://www.browning.com/products/cat...3&type_id=2896 , with it's gold coloured band rather compliments the gold decoration on the Premium Gr3 receiver too. Let's see how it shoots tomorrow.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Deerhunter

So I got up to the Prince George County Trap and Skeet Club today. Had a really good time and the Maxus worked out great. Funny I have read a lot of topics and laugh that there are people that swear you need to take a shotgun and get it custom fit. I haven't been on a skeet field since 2001 and then it was a round here and there.

Shot 5 rounds on the wabble field today. Started out a little slow getting the feel for the new gun. Shot a 21, then a 22, followed by 2 rounds of 23 and the last round I was kind of messing with the gun going for a quicker shot and then waiting for a longer one just to get a feel for the gun and shot another 21. I wasn't even shooting a skeet choke. Just uded the Full that was in the gun when I got it.
Old August 31, 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Deerhunter

Forgot to mention that Browning is offering a deal right now. If you buy a Maxus and $100 worth of shells, same day they will send you the $100 back. They will not cover tax though. I bought 4 boxes of Black Cloud. Waiting for my $100 to get here. Just make sure you get the coupon from the gun shop and have them fill out their part. When I asked what I needed to to to take advantage of it the guy at the shop read it and handed it to me saying all I needed was a copy of my receipt. I was in the middle of filling out paperwork and excited about getting my new gun. Didn't read it until I got home (bought gun in PA, live in VA) and found out I needed some other stuff. I sent it off to Browning with a nice note explaining what happened. Sure hope they are feeling nice after I just bought one of their guns. Will update once I get a response from Browning.
Old September 1, 2010, 01:42 PM   #14
cosmicblue

Deerhunter - those are cracking scores for Skeet, even more so with full choke. I managed a personal best of 18 at the weekend - with a Skeet choke installed.

My dealer recommended putting 250x28Grm (1oz) carts through the gun to bed it in - I've done that and have gone back to 24 Grm 7/8oz loads now - they cycle through perfectly.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Deerhunter

We shot the new wobble field at Prince George's County Trap and Skeet Center in MD. I was using Remington Gun Club Target Loads in 8s.

Not sure how I would have done on an actual skeet field but will find out next time we go up.

I didn't read or hear anything about shooting anything different to break it in. I just cleaned it up when I got it home (after buying it) then took it out to the range. I was in a hurry to get out of the house and never grabbed the other chokes. Got to the range all excited to shoot it and was like, hmmm wonder what choke is in this?
Old September 1, 2010, 06:43 PM   #16
cosmicblue

So yours came with the 'Full' choke installed, mine had the 'Modified' half choke in. I find that the internal chokes work loose - and one tends not to notice - so bought two Midas Inv+ extended chokes (M and Skt) - looks kind of cool too! They work loose as well - but at least it is an instant and tool free job to change/tighten chokes using the finger friendly knurled extensions.

As new the gun was covered with the protective oil - so like you it was serious clean before heading out.

I think the advice from the dealer with regard to the 250 28Grm carts was because he knows I shoot 24Grm by choice - better patterns, less recoil than 28 (which are the max limit on most UK clay shooting grounds).
Old September 10, 2010, 10:21 PM   #17
gtrjames

I absolutely love mine...I got the Mossy Oak duck blind camo with the 26 inch barrel...I shot a Beretta 390 for 10 years in competition and was skeptical at first, but the Maxus is quicker to cycle, has a better trigger, better recoil pad, less recoil, and is a whole heck of a lot easier to clean...I sold a Benelli to buy mine and have never looked back.
Old September 10, 2010, 10:47 PM   #18
Deerhunter

I got mine with the 28 inch barrel and chambered for the 3.5 inch shells. So far I really like it. I like the weight. Recoil was real light on the range. Should be interesting to see how it handles the 3.5s when the geese start a flying.
Old December 18, 2010, 03:07 PM   #19
5RWill

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390863

Have shot mine in freezing temps at around 10-15 degrees. Took it today it was 32 degrees, had water in the chamber at one point and it never missed a beat. I just googled reviews and it still seems there aren't many reviews out there.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:14 AM   #20
Deerhunter

I had mine out last weekend, no issues at all and it was cold here in VA. I have been to the range twice and put 125 rounds through it both times. No issues. Now I am not one to see exactly how far I can put that. I clean the gun every time I bring it home. If it will handle 125 rounds at the range it will handle enough for a hunting trip with no issues.

I haven't had any issues with the finish either. I heard a few people did. Guess I will see as I get it out more. Then if there are issues we will find out how good Browning stands behind their stuff.

Can't wait till next week when geese come back in here in VA. I think I am going to be sick one day and have to call off work.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Rugerismisticness

I've shot 3 different Maxuses (???), the sporting, Hunter, and 26" camo model. I've never seen a maxus jam, even with 7/8oz Rio loads. They had very light recoil and low muzzle jump, beating the 390 competitiors. I didn't like the patterns as much as the 390 or benelli patterns, but an aftermarket choke or load adjustment may fix that. It seems like a very good gun, I'm interested to see how it holds up on the clay arena.