The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How does your current stock of ammo compare to what you had on December 13, 2012?
I have significantly more ammo now. 24 12.31%
I have roughly the same amount now. 146 74.87%
I have significantly less ammo now. 25 12.82%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5, 2013, 02:12 PM   #26
ScottRiqui

Quote:
A friend told me that he read in "shooting insider" magazine that the ammo companies in the US are producing a billion rounds per week.
Sounds high to me. According to this industry report, annual sales of small arms ammunition are typically around 7 to 10 billion in the U.S. Although according to that same report, the Army needed 300 million rounds *per day* in 2005, which sounds impossibly high to me.

I did find a lot of references online to the "one billion per week" figure, but they may all just be parroting the same (possibly flawed?) source. Personally, 52 billion rounds per year sounds too high, even with all of the manufacturers working at capacity.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:53 PM   #27
bbqbob51

Stayed abou the same

I did purchase 2 50 round boxes at Walmart about 7 weeks ago for $17.99 each and I happened to run across a full shelf of PMC bronze .223 in Cabela's the end of February. The associate was just loading the shelf and I picked up 4-20 round boxes for $8.99. There must have been 200 boxes on the shelf and he wasn't done filling it up. This was after 8:15 p.m. on a Saturday evening, 45 minutes before they closed so it must have been interesting they next morning when they opened their doors. What was funny was the store was nearly empty and I was the only one in that aisle, no one was even noticing!
The winter has been long up here and I have only gone out shooting a few times in the last few months so what I have for ammo is lasting pretty well. I think I have enough to last me for most of the next year so I am waiting it out.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:20 PM   #28
Tucker 1371

Since December I have bought 300 rounds of .308 and that's it. I could have scooped up a lot more as there was roughly about 5000 rounds sitting in the stack of boxes I took from but elected not to. I need .45 but have not bought it. I have bought two boxes of .40 S&W, four boxes of 12ga 00, and that's about it.

I don't have nearly the stock I would like so I'm not shooting much at the moment, I will go to the range and buy pistol ammo there to shoot, other wise I'm kind of sitting on what I've got.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 6, 2013, 01:28 AM   #29
Ignition Override

Yes, I helped cause it. Being a pessimist by nature (the gun 'bug' began in '07: age 52), my ammo buying began in '08 and mostly stopped in '11.
I bought six boxes of British .303 in December before the last place raised prices.

So much military surplus ammo has disappeared: i.e. .303, Nato 7.62. The UN Small Arms Treaty has motivated some countries to block exports, and the Treaty has paid to have some countries destroy heaps of ammo and milsurp rifles.

Awareness of US massacres in the '90s along with some after 2000 were not forgotten (by some of us).
Politicians' and media responses to massacres at Tucson, Portland and Aurora should have grabbed the attention of every US gun owner. People assumed that Columbine or VA Tech would be the last school targets? Most schools are easy targets for psychos. But Senators' kids attend schools with armed guards....

I hear that most young people don't try to look at evening news, or skim through a newspaper, do they?
Well, newspapers don't have buttons to play with, but the trouble signs (to buy ammo or a desirable gun) were very clear-not everyday, but with a tragic frequency.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #30
Kreyzhorse

There are clearly people that have been moved to buy their first firearm due to the current political climate, however, there is clearly hoarding going on that is creating most of this shortage.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:36 AM   #31
deepcreek

I don't buy into consumer frenzies. This crap reminds me of when people would wait for store to open to buy Bennie babies.

I usually buy ammo by the case when it is a decent price so I don't have to go shopping every time I go out shooting. If I run low then I shoot 22lrs until things are normal, if I run out of 22lrs the I shoot arrows.
Old April 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

There are three buyers for ammunition:

US Military (they keep the plants busy)
Heimat Sicherheit Dienst (who just bought 1.6 billion boolits)
We The People

The latter panicked and we had our "peak" boolit which is just starting to ebb.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:50 PM   #33
Jo6pak

Could someone please define "hoarding ammunition"???
I hear this being constantly spouted as an accusatory phrase, blaming shooters for the latest ammo run.
I haven't been buying much ammo lately, but let's just consider...
I am 40 years old; and if the gods agree, I would like to be still shooting when I am 60. That's 20 years... We have a major shoot about every 6 weeks or 8-9 times a year....20 x 8 = 400.
Let's say conservatively, I shoot 300 rounds of various calibers per trip. That's 12,000 cartridges.

Now, with the uncertainty of more government regulations, threats to the import of ammo by the UN Arms Treaty, and the plethora of other issues driving up the cost of ammo.
Why shouldn't I buy as much as I can afford when I can get it?
It's not going to spoil.
And if ammo is not available, or prohibitively expensive in the future, what good will my guns be if I REALLY need to shoot them??

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to give a little something to chew on.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:27 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

Hoarding ammo? Generally speaking, the hoarders aren't those folks who keep their normal supplies of ammo. While some folks keep more than others, those with a goodly amount on hand probably had plenty.

The hoarders in this case seem to be those people (not a mutually exclusive group from the former, you understand) who are buying out of fear they won't get a chance to buy again and are buying more than they would normally ever buy, often times many times what they would normally buy. Moreover, people who have gotten into hoarding that previously were something of ammo snobs, showing amazing disdain for ammo such as Wolf, Blazer, etc., not miraculously have found a very good reason to buy up ammo that previously they would never consider shooting in their guns, let alone actually buying some of it.

For me, the difference would go from buying maybe 5 or 6K of ammo per year to buying 20, 30 or 40K rounds of ammo per year when my consumption hasn't changed. Then I would be in the hoarding category, IMHO.

What gets me, and maybe this is smart, maybe just part of the panic, are the people who buy ammo in calibers they don't even own. If they can't find the ammo they need, they buy up what is there, ostensibly for the purposes such as trade for what they do need or for reselling it. A buddy of mine now has a couple thousand rounds of revolver ammo, purchased a box at a time, who gives the excuse that he might buy a revolver in that caliber some day. He didn't start buying it until after the panic started and so is paying some inflated prices for ammo. So who in their right mind decides buying up inflated price ammo for a gun they don't own with the excuse that they might buy such a gun someday...if they aren't hoarding?
Old April 7, 2013, 06:38 PM   #35
Gaz_in_NZ

Factory Ammo, Primers, Powder, New Brass etc appear to all be in rather short supply in New Zealand at present.
Just bought 1500 Winchester x22lrpp this morning as I can still reload most C/F calibers.
I got told it was because of Low supplies from the USA seeing as the Homeland Security bunch are trying to buy 1.6 billion rounds of all types of ammo (are they thinking of invading somewhere or wot!! or are they expecting something's going to happen in the near future?)... Not sure if this H.S. thing is true or not, maybe someone could deny/confirm this for me.

Cheers
G
Old April 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #36
Boomer58cal

Homeland security has ordered 6 billion rounds now, but people here will tell you it's for training. If it was just for training then why is the money coming from the social security fund. Anyway... what do I know. Maybe they realized their people can't hit a barn if they don't practice. It's just funny to me they realized this just as they start talking about taking people's guns. I don't know if they caused the shortage but it couldn't have helped.

On a side note... why do we need homeland security? Isn't that the FBI, and the national guards job with the armed citizens to back them up. Oh wait... militias are terrorists. I forgot.

Think what you want well you're still free to do so. More or less.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #37
Mr. Citizen

I just got my Shield 9 and had no ammo to even try it out. I'm pretty sore at the ones that did cause this.
Old April 7, 2013, 11:08 PM   #38
Wreck-n-Crew

Though i can't speak for anyone outside of Ohio or my part of Ohio, but a few thing happened in Ohio to contribute to the demand here.

My family lives in Dayton, Oh and im about 25 miles away. The city tore down whole blocks in a certain part of town and built several new government homes.

When that happened, as well as the recession, home invasions, car-jacking's, armed robberies, and shootings skyrocketed in an area of town that wasn't accustomed to it.

When you go down-town to turn in your paperwork for carry permit there is a long wait with large lines. My sister went down right before easter weekend thinking more people would be focused on the holiday and the line would be shorter....she was there for2 1/2 hours to file it.

The shooting requirements in many of the classes require 200 rounds to be fired. The people who are taking these classes usually have a wait to get in and they purchase ammo for practice (as well as guns) before even doing the range requirements of the ccw classes.

I have spoken to several of the people taking these classes and i have yet to have someone respond anything but things are getting bad and they wanted to be prepared.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:22 AM   #39
Gaz_in_NZ

Quote:
Homeland security has ordered 6 billion rounds now
What!!!
6 billion!!!
What are they going to do with that amount of ammunition... Send (nearly) every one on the planet 1 round each for Christmas???

Them buggers are up to something strange!

Cheers

G
Old April 8, 2013, 12:35 AM   #40
Gaz_in_NZ

Just a thought on the 1500 Winchester x22lrpp I bought this morning.
I have noticed (checked 1x50 box) that the noses can be rotated on nearly every round... Is this a Crimp problem or normal?
Will they be OK?
I normally use CCI 40grain round nose but they were out of stock with no lead time on another CCI shipment, the Winchesters were cheap enough, buy 2 bricks get one free, so I got some.
The noses can't be pulled out but the rotational thing got me a bit worried, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that Winchester would have good QC on their crimps so this must be normal and probably OK. These are USA Winchesters not the Australian made ones.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
G

Last edited by Gaz_in_NZ; April 8, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old April 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #41
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Homeland security has ordered 6 billion rounds now,
1.6 billion over FIVE (5) years. Geez, when is this misinformation gonna stop? I could be off base here, but doesn't DHS include....

- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- FEMA
- Immigration
- TSA
- Coast Guard
- Secret Service

Last edited by Onward Allusion; April 8, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Homeland security has ordered 6 billion rounds now
I'm going to start demanding sources for these figures. Even if such an order were placed, who could possibly fill it?
Old April 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #43
gaseousclay

Quote:
And if ammo is not available, or prohibitively expensive in the future, what good will my guns be if I REALLY need to shoot them??
tell that to the millions of other gun owners who are buying guns for the first time, or who are looking for ammo just to have. let's not deny it. there's hoarding going on like we've never seen before. the hoarders will claim no wrong doing because they 'foresaw' things to come. unless you're planning on defending yourself against a standing army, or actually have use for thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo, then you're basically ruining it for the other guy who just wants to head to the range and shoot a few rounds, or you're making it impossible for new shooters to get their feet wet and enjoy firearms. like you said, guns are useless without ammo. right now I have 200 rounds of .22LR and .270 win ammo that are sitting in a box collecting dust. luckily, I don't shoot very often I don't need ammo the way some of you feel like you need ammo
Old April 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #44
rclark

After the last time around when I got caught, I did stock up (.22) to hopefully last through some bumps. Also should have enough reloading components for a years worth of shooting.... I hope. Problem is if the states, and Feds keep gun control on the table, it isn't over .... nor will it be.... Might be four years (or more) at least. If mid-term elections turn sour it might even be worse than what it is now as the governments are bent on destroying the 2nd Amendment one way or another....

Right now if I find some 'extra' at a reasonable price, I will buy what I think I need to replenish. Of course, the longer this shortage is, the more that will have to be bought .... Catch .22 ... pun intended.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #45
lcpiper

We have plenty of members who compete in shooting events or for whatever reason they want, they shoot more then a guy like me. I haven't bought a box in months, certainly not since this mess started. I was too late to the party.

But I wouldn't point fingers haphazardly because it's a free market, everyone who buys ammo is only able cause someone else didn't chose to buy it first. I didn't buy before so I find it tougher now. But I have no doubt we are all doing it to ourselves.

You can bet the Antis in Congress and elsewhere are laughing up their sleeves every time they here about the "Great Ammo Buy-up Conspiracy".
Old April 8, 2013, 07:55 PM   #46
xnaerughiazk

Most of us wouldn't think about buying an ounce of gold, a really itty bitty coin for 1600 dollars.

But we know that ammo is worth money and most importantly retains value and it doesn't go bad like some food/fuel.

There is insecurity in the worldwide banks, the US FED is buying like 82 billion dollars of bonds/month with just printed money.

The dollar could go south at any time, lots of people know this. Most of gun guys won't contribute the ammo craze with the weakening dollar, but I'd bet it is a bigger part of it than given credit for.

A dollar bill will not go bang.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:47 AM   #47
lcpiper

Gold is not a good deal. The single most basic rule in investment, buy low, sell high. Gold is not priced low. If someone is making a major effort to sell gold then it is because they own a lot of it and they want to sell it now while it is priced high. I know there is a radio talk show that airs all day long targeting conservative folks with doom and gloom stories then has entire dedicated segments pushing gold. The radio station is owned by the gold sellers and they are no more honest and above board then the other media outlets. I wish it weren't true but all the media outlets are owned and corrupted.

We couldn't keep gold as a standard for money anymore cause we are using it as a material in manufacturing products, sooner or later it will keep getting used up. How can you base the worlds currency on a material that is disappearing. Precious metals are just a commodity, no different then tin and copper. They all have value, but it is market value determined by supply and demand.

Ammo is also a commodity, we have seen the effects of supply and demand lately and we see that it is real. But like most commodities, its real value stems from the use you can get out of it.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: removed response to deleted post.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #48
Evan Thomas

Point made. Further discussion of investing in metals, precious or otherwise, is off-topic.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:39 AM   #49
coldbeer

I have significantly less ammo now because I like to shoot and shoot often. I'm not much of a hoarder.

@Gaz in NZ - I had a box of Federal Spitfire 22lr where the nose spun inside the case. I ended up shooting them anyway and I didn't have any problem. Accuracy wasn't great, but Spitfires are hyper velocity 22lr and they aren't known for exeptional accuracy in the first place.

Last edited by coldbeer; April 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #50
Gaz_in_NZ

Quote:
I had a box of Federal Spitfire 22lr where the nose spun inside the case. I ended up shooting them anyway and I didn't have any problem. Accuracy wasn't great, but Spitfires are hyper velocity 22lr and they aren't known for exeptional accuracy in the first place.
Thanks for that, I did check some of the CCI that I have left and the noses were all tight.
I have never noticed lose noses before on .22's but in all honesty I don't think I have ever checked .22 before yesterday so dunno why I checked the Winchesters (never used them before, maybe that's why).

Cheers

G

Tags
ammunition , shortage