The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 19, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1
DG45

unloaded shotgun in trunk ok in California?

I'm not sure if this is the forum I should ask this question on, or if I should pose it in the "General Discussion" forum.

The question is: Is there any exception to the "no guns allowed" rule for out of state travelers traveling in California? Maybe for an unloaded shotgun in the trunk? Or a black powder gun? How about if you're just passing through the state on Interstate Highways?
Old May 19, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2
wally626

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf is a summary of the CA firearms laws. If my rough skimming means anything, I think CA has the normal exceptions for transportation that says you can carry a unloaded gun in the trunk to and from a range, to or from a store to buy or return, to a shop for repair, or hunting. Under federal law you can transport a unloaded weapon in the trunk through the state but cannot stay anywhere while there. So if you are going to CA to hunt or shoot at a range you are good to go. Or if you are just passing through you are good.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:25 AM   #3
CowTowner

I lock mine in a hard case and unloaded when going the Cali to hunt quail and chucker. Ammo is locked in a separate hard box. Keeps me out of trouble when stopped. CHP loves us folks with Texas plates.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy