The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Noonan

Question about Winchester Universal shells

I have a value pack of Universal 20 gauge shells from Wal-Mart. I've been hearing horror stories about these things cycling in semi-autos and pumps. Will they work okay in an over-under?
Old October 22, 2008, 10:11 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I use them heavily in my pump so you will be fine with the O&U... They may just be a bit weak to cycle an auto loader action.
Brent
Old October 22, 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
JWT

I've used them in my Remington 1100 (12ga) without any real problems. The quality control on them is not alway 'perfect'.

I've had some with the shot coming out due to poor crimps. Have also found some to be a bit oversize and hard to push into the chamber when using them in my single shot break open trap gun.

Over all, they're O.K. but I've been buying Estates because I can get them for just a low a price and their quality seems much better.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4
ebutler462

I use them frequently with no problem in my semis. I buy the cheapest Walmart loads and have at it. Maybe I am just lucky but I have used these el cheapos for a long time. Some semis, I understand, have problems with them due to the expansion of the shell base. I haven't had that problem. Most of my semis are inertia driven, others recoil driven, a couple of gas guns.

Maybe I am just lucky.
Old October 22, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
zippy13

One of the major benefits of an O/U is its ability to function flawlessly with shells that might give an auto-loader, or pump fits. It's one of the reasons they are favored in competitive events where you are limited to a specific number of malfunctions.

A rare problem occurs if the recoil is so light that the trigger isn't set for the second shot; but, it's typically limited to tubed guns shooting .410's with an OE inertia trigger. Usually the tube installer adjust the inertia weight (if so equipped) for proper functioning in all gauges.

As with any other firearm, be vigilant about clearing any squibs.

Happy shooting!
Old October 22, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6
wild willy

The problem with the bad ones is the over expansion of the base if you get a bad bunch they will get tighter than #%$ in any gun you shoot them in and yes I got a bad pack a couple years ago. pumps and O/U had to knock the
empties out with a rod