The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2002, 01:08 AM   #1
agooga

1911 experts in Southern California?

My 1911 seems to be in need of some servicing. I inherited this gun from my father who carried it in Viet Nam- so I don't know if it ever fired accurately. But that's its problem: using it at the range, it consistently fires high and to the left, enough so that I know it's not me.

I don't know a lot about gunsmithing. Are there adjustments that can be made to improve the accuracy? Perhaps it's just the sights that are out of whack?

If so, who is the best gun smith in the L.A. area to send my 1911 to? I want the best! I want to keep this weapon forever! It could probably also use a good tune up.

Thanks in advance!!!

JP
Old October 22, 2002, 01:41 AM   #2
kogatana

I think Jim Hogue is still around in a one man shop in Canoga Park or Chatsworth. Look in the yellow pages.

Terry Tussey may be in Santa Ana.

Tim LaFrance in San Diego might be able to help you as well.

These guys may have moved since I last visited that area.
-- KT, Sr. (sometime in ’55)
Old October 22, 2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Jim V

One that has been around for some time is King's Gunworks.

I did a web search on Hogue, with no results. The same with Tim Lafrance.

Terry Tussey can be reached at Tussey Custom in Nevada.
Old October 23, 2002, 05:01 PM   #4
agooga

Thanks so far...

on these recommendations, I'll post the results after I make contact and get the work done.

JP
Old October 23, 2002, 08:51 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Before you spend money, what sort of ammo are you using? That can make a huge difference in POI/POA and accuracy. Are you shooting tight groups with a different gun?
Old October 25, 2002, 02:47 AM   #6
sierra338

Before you spend lots of money on a smith, there are a few things you can try yourself. First, you can adjust the point of impact side to side by drifting the rear sight left or right. If you want the POI to go right, adjust the sight to the right when looking at the gun from the rear.

As for it shooting high and to the right, I had a 1911 that did the same thing because the slide spring was worn out. Since your gun is farily old, a new set of springs will be in order regardless of if it's the problem or not. I think Wolff springs sells them in sets specifically for your gun. All the springs are fairly easy to put in. Exploded views of your weapon are available on the net.

I would try the springs first. They're cheap too.

Ryan
Old October 25, 2002, 08:07 AM   #7
Jim V

For good descriptions of how to tear down a 1911A1: M1911.ORG and/or Sight's 1911.

For lots of 1911 advise: 1911 Forum.

For parts: Brownells.

For springs: Wolff Gun Springs.
Old October 28, 2002, 03:59 PM   #8
agooga

Thanks for the feedback...

As for ammo- I have shot a wide variety, all with more or less the same results. And I have several other modern pistols that fire accurately- with these I'm a pretty good shot with consistent grouping.

I'll try the back sight adjustment first. Thaat seems like something I can do fairly easily.

The spring idea sounds good too. Didn't know a spring inside the gun would actually thow off the accuracy.

Jim V- thanks for all the links!

JP