The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2018, 05:41 AM   #1
Rhondo H. Slade

Target Crowns

Hi all. I am the proud owner of a Ruger Mk III Hunter, 6-7/8" barrel in Stainless Steel (or, as I was taught in the Aviation Technology program I took - CReS for Corrosion Resistant Steel). I purchased this pistol in late May of 2016 and all the specs state that it has a recessed 'Target Crown". What I'd like to know is what, precisely, is a target crown and how would this differ from another type of crown? The recessed part is self-explanatory.
Thank you all so much for your time and patience with a relative newbie!
Old February 12, 2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

Target crown is flat with no champher, and must be cleaned from the breech with all passes going only out the muzzle. Another style of target crown is a 7degree and still has that sharp edge. The recess is to protect the sharp edge.
Other crowns are generally radius end with bore well protected. The idea behind the target crown is it releases the bullet evenly and the gasses vent away better.