The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2013, 09:01 AM   #1
MandolinMan

Help me identify model of my new Hi Power

Hello all, here's my first post and first question ( more sure to follow)!

I just bought a Browning Hi Power at LGS but can't seem to figure out exactly what model it is. Seems to be a lot of guys on this forum who really know their stuff, any help would be appreciated. I can't upload a picture at the moment ( computer problems) so I'll list all the particulars I can think of about the gun:

Manufactured in '88, according to the serial number. Marked Made In Belgium.

Shiny blued finish with the barrel left " In the white"-- unblued.

Checkered walnut grips. No ambidextrous safety. Standard military sights with half moon front. I think it has a straight throated feed ramp. I looked at a few pictures and it didn't look like the humped feed ramp. No rib running between the front and rear sights.

Paid $599+ tax at the LGS for it. It appears to be unfired. Came with box and one mag. Good deal???

Ran a few rounds through it ( literally 15 rnds, this days of ammo madness is starting to make me mad!!!) and it function great.

Any help identifying the model would be appreciated.

Aaron
Old May 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
g.willikers

Don't know about your gun, but Welcome to the forum.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Pilot

I have a MK III Hi Power, made in 1994. Yours sounds like a MK III as it does not have a rib, or it could be one of the transitional pistols with characteristics of both MK II and MK III. Can you post some pics? You got a GREAT deal, btw, especially for a Hi Power in that condition.

This may help some.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/D...IIandMkIII.htm

Last edited by Pilot; May 9, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
WVsig

Pics are needed... Any secondary import marks on the gun ? PW arms etc...
Old May 11, 2013, 09:55 AM   #5
MandolinMan

Thanks for your replies. And sorry I can't upload any pictures. I've scoured the internet trying to find what information I could. I guess I'm still confused over a couple of the features on mine. Like the lack of an ambidexterous safety. From what I've read online all of the mark II's and III's had ambidexterous safeties. Anyone know if Mark II or III's were produced without these? Anyone know also the years of production for the Mark I, II, and III's respectively? Thanks.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
ddc

These links may help assuming you haven't found these sites already:

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=35

http://hipowertalk.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6
Old May 28, 2013, 08:06 AM   #7
chuntaro

Hello:

If what has been described is a 1988 Browning marked hi power with no shallow top rib, no drain hole and includes the single sided safety and the hog nose bushing at the front of the slide the pistol is a type 73 classic pattern. It may have said vigilante or standard on the box when new. It would have been built just like a pre mk ll even though it was produced concurrently.