The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 29, 2020, 10:22 PM   #1
ArmedandStrangerous

Anyone know of a 10 rnd magazine for 357 magnum?

I have been searching for a 357 magnum, 10 round magazine to use for reloading my 5 shot revolver. I think it would be easy to keep a loaded mag in a pocket or sheath on the belt and the quickest way to reload. The closest I've seen is a guy who says he's made some, but I can only find him on YouTube and I cant find a way to message him on there. Second closest is someone mentioned on here that the Desert Eagle 357 magazines say they hold 9 but actually hold 10. I'm not ready to spend $40 to find out if he's wrong. Another thing I found is Ruger's 5 round mag for their 77/357 bolt action rifle. I'll settle for one or two of those if I have to. Any help is much appreciated!
Old February 29, 2020, 10:33 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

A few thoughts:

If you're going to carry something like the 77/357 Magazine, a typical revolver speedloader would be roughly the same size & shape and much faster to use. A better choice, in my opinion.

Loading magazines past the manufacturers specifications, while sometimes possible, is generally not a great idea. Specifications are rarely random numbers--they are what they are for a reason.

I wouldn't get hung up on having exactly 10 rounds. Let's say you carried a Coonan .357Mag magazine that holds 7 rounds. That still gives you one full reload with a couple of rounds left over and in a package that's a nicer shape for carry in a pocket than the Ruger 77/357Magazine or a speedloader. The DE mag, even if it only holds 9 rounds still gives you one full reload plus 80% of another one which beats a speedloader or the Ruger mag in terms of capacity and with a nicer shape for carry.

Another option you should probably consider is a speed strip. A speed strip is faster to use than reloading from a magazine, though not as fast as a speedloader, and is as easy, or easier to carry than a single-stack magazine would be.
Old February 29, 2020, 10:47 PM   #3
ArmedandStrangerous

Thank you for your help. I have considered speedloaders but my EDC is a small taurus 605 and speedloaders dont quite work cuz the cylinder is so close to the frame that the loader is blocked my the grip. So that's out of the question unless I get a bigger pistol. I've also thought about a Coonan mag or a standard 9 round DE mag, but then let's say I reload once, empty it, then my second reload leaves me with one empty cylinder. As I'm shooting I get one random dry fire. Of course, it is a revolver and i can simply squeeze again, but if I'm gonna buy a mag i want it to be right. If I cant find a 10 rounder then I'll settle for the DE perhaps. Have you tried speed strips? I havent yet. I imagine a magazine would be much faster. I got the idea from someone who has a 9mm revolver and they found a 15 round magazine for 3 perfect reloads.
Old March 1, 2020, 12:12 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

With practice, you can load two chambers at a time with speed strips which makes them pretty fast compared to any method that loads one round at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs

Plus they make a nice flat and compact package if you want to carry in a pocket. Much nicer than the thick shape of the 77/357 Mag.

They're also really cheap. You can find them sold in pairs for under $10. They are set up to hold 6 rounds, but if you like multiples of 5, you can just leave one spot open in each strip. Some recommend that technique anyway, even for 6 shot revolvers, as it gives a better grip on the strip.
Old March 1, 2020, 02:34 AM   #5
labnoti

You're better off with a second revolver than trying to reload a revolver one round at a time. Trying to hold the revolver, the magazine, and move the rounds from one to the other just doesn't seem practical under stress and in any situation where you'll want to maintain situational awareness. If you need to reload, you'll want to be able to do it without looking down and staring at all the contraptions in your hands.

Speed strips and two-rounds at a time with the thumb or index finger to the back of the speed-strip is your best bet to quell any anxiety about having only 5 rounds in the little revolver.

On the other hand, if you were to put yourself in situations where 5 rounds were really not enough -- let's just say you want to do some force on force exercises with simunition and that way we don't have to get carried away with a fantasy -- you'll find that you'll really be better off with a second revolver than a speed-strip. Ok, two speed-strips? Who does special-forces scenarios with a snub-nosed revolver? If you're really going to shoot 15 rounds in a stage of your training, wouldn't you be a lot more effective with a 15-round semi-auto where you don't have to reload at all, much less from an awkward hand-held pistol magazine into a little tiny revolver cylinder, five rounds, one at a time, twice?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying, "dude, you should just go buy a glock." But the reason people carry the little five-shot revolvers is because they decide they're enough. They are better than being unarmed, and they are sufficient to address a great deal of possible problems. Note that I don't mention "likely" or anything about probabilities. Some people justify mouse guns with experimental probability or "gunfight statistics." I'm not doing any of that. I'm just asserting that the five shot revolver can solve a lot of problems that might present themselves. There are problems a 5-shot revolver cannot or will not solve. A reload doesn't do a good job of solving additional problems -- they even create some of their own. Many people choose guns that can solve problems that require "more rounds" of ammo to solve. We don't know if those additional rounds will solve problems that you will encounter, but we do know that there are problems that more rounds cannot or will not solve, especially if you make mistakes like not hitting anything, or hitting the wrong things, or taking too long to hit the right things.

You can choose to keep your revolver and instead of focusing on having "more rounds," decide to focus on solving more problems. The most effective things I can suggest to solve problems: learn to avoid them in the first place (this could be accomplished with self-defense training -- I'm not talking about any kind of weapons, martial arts or fighting systems -- but learning to avoid provoking attacks, learning situational awareness, becoming aware of pre-attack indicators, learning to de-escalate, avoiding high-risk behaviors, changing your habits, how to maneuver and position yourself for advantage in personal safety.). There are problems that may become unavoidable. Train to solve them and learn to use tools to solve them. Those tools can include your revolver. A 357 Pez dispenser adds no practical value to it.

Last edited by labnoti; March 1, 2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 1, 2020, 11:21 AM   #6
pete2

Modify the grip so the speed loader clears it. This is not uncommon.
Old March 1, 2020, 11:56 AM   #7
agtman

Quote:
You're better off with a second revolver than trying to reload a revolver one round at a time. Trying to hold the revolver, the magazine, and move the rounds from one to the other just doesn't seem practical under stress and in any situation where you'll want to maintain situational awareness.
Definitely this ... Well said.

The fastest reload has always been a second loaded gun (unless your carry-method renders it inaccessible). This applies as much to semi-autos as it does to wheelguns.
Old March 1, 2020, 01:17 PM   #8
Forte S+W

Quote:
A baby G33 + 125gr Underwood ammo = A 10 round 357 Magnum
.357 SIG isn't quite the same as .357 Magnum. Sure, it will equal most factory loaded ammo, but when it comes to full-power loads, it falls short of .357 Magnum by a good 100ft-lbs of energy.
Old March 1, 2020, 03:24 PM   #9
ArmedandStrangerous

All great advice! Thank you all! I knew the gun gurus here would help.
1st, to clarify, I am just an average guy who conceals. I am likely never going to pull that little pistol out in a real situation. I have practiced situational awareness, avoiding conflicts, identifying suspicious/dangerous people/situations for decades. That is why I chose a small but powerful pistol. I am way more likely to walk the other way or even run away from a conflict than I am to pull out my gun. I also have tons of active and frequent shooting practice and have a good chance of solving a close range, one-on-one situation with 5 shots. That being said, the extra rounds are just a backup, just in case. Why not carry an extra cylinder or two worth of ammo? A slow reload is better than no reload at all. At least I have a chance.

2nd, I fully agree that a small glock that carries 10+ is a much better solution and it is on my shopping list. As soon as I can afford it, I want a G19 or smaller. As far as 357 sig goes, it's one of my favorite rounds. Great advice! I would rather buy 9mm though because I can afford to practice more often and get better at shot placement.

3rd, having a high-cap semi-auto allows me to solve a third piece of advice, the 2nd/back-up gun. My revolver would become my back-up piece if I buy the glock. Reload and back-up problem solved.

4th, until I get the semi-auto, a $40 magazine is actually pretty quick to use for me as a reload. I reload with my right hand while holding the gun and cylinder in my left. I am used to rotating the cylinder as i feed rounds in with my right hand anyway and dare say I'm pretty quick at it. I could do it in the dark/blindfolded. My reason for wanting speed strips or a magazine is cuz they will keep my bullets in line and make it faster. As of now, they end up in a pile in my palm and it takes time and attention to orient them. I guess it's a good idea to first buy a couple speed strips and try them out before buying an expensive DE magazine.

5th, customizing my grip to accommodate a speed loader: I will consider this and look up people who have already done this with my model pistol. I would like to keep my gun pretty but I've always said "function over form". I do like this idea best of all so far, ar least until I get that carry-sized, high-cap, semi-auto. Thanks to every one of you who commented. My ears are still open
Old March 1, 2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Steve in Allentown,

Another option is to get the cylinder modified to use full moon clips then carry a couple of loaded full moon clips in your pocket. That'll give you 10 rounds and you won't have to fumble around trying to load one round at a time or deal with a speedloader. Full moon clips are very, very fast. Here's Jerry Miculek putting 12 rounds (6 in the gun plus one reload) on target in less than 3 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw. Not only does he pull the trigger really fast but his reload is like lightning. I can't reload a 1911 as fast as he can reload a revolver. All it takes it practice, right?
Old March 1, 2020, 04:58 PM   #11
Forte S+W

Quote:
As far as 357 sig goes, it's one of my favorite rounds. Great advice! I would rather buy 9mm though because I can afford to practice more often and get better at shot placement.
Why not just get a .357 SIG with a 9mm Conversion Barrel and shoot hot 9mm loads out of it for practice?
Old March 1, 2020, 05:08 PM   #12
44caliberkid

Do they still make Speed Strips?
Old March 1, 2020, 05:24 PM   #13
ArmedandStrangerous

Ya they still make speed strips. They are cheap. I will definitely try them. And I am truly considering modifying my grip for speed loading.
I used to have a 357 sig with a drop in 9mm barrel. I loved it. Ome of my favorite pistols I've ever owned(Springfield XD). I have decided to practice with exactly what I'm going to carry. The recoil is different and if your brain is used to 9mm recoil but you know that hot-loaded 357 sig hollow point recoil is coming you may flinch. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but that's just what I have read from "experts" in gun magazines. Anyone else have an opinion in this topic? "Train with what you carry"
Old March 1, 2020, 05:26 PM   #14
ArmedandStrangerous

I wish I had enough time and money to get that fast! Holy hell! That's just awesome!
Old March 2, 2020, 09:55 AM   #15
ArmedandStrangerous

PS: you guys rock! Thank you! I'll post updates here when I try speed strips, mod my grip, and/or if I buy a magazine.
Old March 2, 2020, 06:19 PM   #16
ThomasT

Here is how I carry 10 rounds for my 5 shot snubbies. The forum won't let me attach my stored photos for some reason but if you go to post # 12 you can see the carrier I made for speed strips. Of course you can load all the places in the rubber strips and have 12 rounds on hand.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595937
Old March 2, 2020, 06:58 PM   #17
jar

Remember, grips are the easiest modification out there.
Old March 2, 2020, 08:01 PM   #18
burrhead

I'm a big Paul Harrell fan. Here's a good vid on reloading a revolver. Certainly worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53mj45CWYg

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old March 2, 2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Laker

What did you use to practice with that you are so good that you can "do it in the dark"? I would love to see reloading a revolver from a magazine.
Old March 3, 2020, 10:18 PM   #20
ArmedandStrangerous

Great question. I'm glad you brought it up, cuz as I was searching for a video of someone reloading with a magazine I found a cheap solution I can try. I reload from my pocket, just loose rounds. It is definitely not fast compared to real shooters, as I have to feel each round and rotate half of them but can get them all in the cylinder at a decent pace for my liking. I'm definitely no expert. I only get to shoot about once a week. I'll look for a video of someone loading from a magazine but I found this article while searching:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ractice-drill/

This guy found that some 1911 magazines actually feed 38 special rounds. They are way cheaper than a DE magazine and +p rounds are plenty powerful enough...I think...
Old March 5, 2020, 07:50 AM   #21
Nanuk

Quote:
.357 SIG isn't quite the same as .357 Magnum. Sure, it will equal most factory loaded ammo, but when it comes to full-power loads, it falls short of .357 Magnum by a good 100ft-lbs of energy.
With what load?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785726103609

I carry these in my Glock 31C.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785728659513
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 5, 2020, 08:22 AM   #22
Onward Allusion

Dude, you should buy a Glock!

Double load using a speed strip or carry a NAA mini.

Tags
357 magnum , desert eagle .357 , revolver reload , semi-auto 357