The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Brutus

Best 38 super

Want to add a super to my collection.
1911 style, fully supported barrel, locates on the case mouth.

Don't want to spend more than $2500. Any suggestions?
Old May 19, 2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Dan Wesson has a good reputation at the high end of production guns.
http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/pointman-38-pm-38/
Old May 19, 2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Reloadron

Have to agree with Jim. The Dan Wesson (CZ) guns have a well earned and deserved very good reputation. Your budget allows you to give the Dan Wesson guns every consideration.

Ron
Old May 19, 2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Brutus

Thanks, I have 2 Dans a 715revolver and a bobtail valor. Very happy with them.
Just place a bid on gunbroker for a pointman.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
JDBerg

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product...man-nine-pm-9/

Agree 100% on the DW, I have the old style Black Duty Coat finish Valor myself...but I’d go with the Pointman 9 and get a 38 Super barrel fitted to the slide, with the extra recoil spring.

My other suggestion would be to look for an STI Trojan longslide in 38 Super, these are now out of production, this is probably the most accurate production gun I’ve ever shot. My own 9mm Trojan is very close to it though!
Old May 19, 2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Siggy-06

DW Guardian is a nice .38 Super. A Colt Custom is well under your budget with room to upgrade.
Old May 19, 2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Bilbo463

Push your budget up another $500 and you’re in the ballpark for a 38 super by some of the best builders (i.e. Ed Brown, Guncrafter industries and maybe a Wilson).
Old May 19, 2018, 10:56 PM   #8
rc

You have lots of choices but I can say the Kimber 4" is a really nice handling gun in 38 super. I don't like short 45s but 38 super works well in the shorter platform.
Old May 21, 2018, 08:25 PM   #9
44caliberkid

Posted in error, sorry
Old May 21, 2018, 08:35 PM   #10
NoSecondBest

Not wanting to call anyone's baby ugly or anything, but Dan Wesson isn't in the running for a high end .38 Super. Get something like a Les Baer and have it built up from there by a quality gunsmith. I had one done by Claudio Salasa and it was built with the bells and whistles I wanted/needed for the type of shooting I was doing a few years back. It had a 28oz trigger, put five shots under an inch at twenty-five yards with ease, and was 100% reliable all the time I owned it. There's other brands equally as good, but Dan Wesson isn't one of them.
Old May 22, 2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Siggy-06

^unless he finds a used Les Baer in .38 super, they're gonna be out of his budget. Not gonna have much money left to upgrade either. Dan Wessons are some of the best 1911's for their price range. My RIA can eat a bullseye at 25 yards and it cost me under $400 bucks.
Old May 22, 2018, 06:01 PM   #12
NoSecondBest

Quote:
unless he finds a used Les Baer in .38 super, they're gonna be out of his budget. Not gonna have much money left to upgrade either. Dan Wessons are some of the best 1911's for their price range. My RIA can eat a bullseye at 25 yards and it cost me under $400 bucks.
I've shot major competition for many years. You need to get out more and learn a little bit. Show me one major competitor shooting a stock Dan Wesson....or even a "built" one and winning shoots.
Old May 22, 2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Siggy-06

In all fairness, a lot of professional pistol competitors use what their sponsers give them. Lots of polymer pistols being used and not 1911's. Just saying... I hope the OP finds a .38 super he's happy with.
Old May 23, 2018, 01:48 PM   #14
nagami

DW Guardian is a nice
Old May 23, 2018, 04:16 PM   #15
Roughedge

I ordered one from the Colt custom shop and was disappointed, have a RIA that has better fit. Worked on it a bit and got a good shooter but not what I expected from Colt.
Old May 23, 2018, 05:01 PM   #16
stephen426

I have to agree with looking for a Les Baer. They are built extremely tight, yet are still reliable right out of the box. http://lesbaer.com/New-Calibers.html. I have a Thunder Ranch Special, a Monolith Heavyweight, and a Concept V. You can get them below MSRP on Gunbroker.com sometimes. While other companies might put out guns that can perform as well, few companies put out guns that perform so well consistently.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:12 PM   #17
Brutus

Well I can't believe it I won the bid on a brand new DW Pointman PM-38.
No one else bid against me. After paying for shipping, my FFL fee, buying dies, 200rnds. of brass and a couple of boxes of Hornady XTP bullets I'm in for approx. 1600 bucks. Yes I know it's an ugly baby but that's a grand less than I was willing to pay, been real happy with my other Dan's. I'm not into competition shooting don't have the time or money, much rather spend my time fishing, hunting and working with my Springer Spaniels.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:48 PM   #18
Reloadron

Well congratulations on the new addition and may it bring you many enjoyable hours on the range.

Ron
Old May 28, 2018, 05:05 PM   #19
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus:
Well I can't believe it I won the bid on a brand new DW Pointman PM-38.
IMHO, You probably can’t do any better for a new production gun at twice what you spent. The Dan PM series guns are all fantastic, regardless of caliber. If you do your part, that gun will be a total tack driver once you get your reloads figured out. I’d be real anxious to see a range report once you get things sorted out!
Old May 28, 2018, 06:12 PM   #20
Bilbo463

38 Supers are just so much fun at the range. I purchased one first of the year and have over 1,000 rounds through it. I see you got some dies to reload......good move. Factory ammunition can be had, but it’s not inexpensive. I picked up 2,000 Starline new brass and have been Reloading that..... I predict you’re going to have a lot of fun with that pistol...
Old May 29, 2018, 07:13 PM   #21
Rfactor

I picked up a Kimber Target Elite about a year ago. It's a pleasure to shoot, and a tac driver. Wanted a 38 Super for years, and I'm not disappointed.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:14 PM   #22
boondocker385

Kimber has absolutely no place in this discussion. Overpriced and not reliable if you shoot much.
Old May 30, 2018, 09:33 AM   #23
Reloadron

boondocker385 mentions:
Quote:
Kimber has absolutely no place in this discussion. Overpriced and not reliable if you shoot much.
Interesting as the post preceding yours spoke very highly of Kimber so maybe they were an exception to your rule? I have but one Kimber, a little Kimber Ultra CDP II which I ended up with as a result of someone needing money. While I would never look for a 3" .45 ACP that little gun has proven itself through a few thousand rounds and never a failure. The gun reliably feeds 230 grain FMJ and JHP of my loads as well as a half dozen commercial brands.

Granted for the OP's price point there are better choices but for reasons unknown many people love to slam Kimber. Most shooters I know are pleased with the Kimber line. They have no issue with price or reliability.

Ron
Old May 30, 2018, 09:40 AM   #24
Brutus

Boy, some folks really like to rain on the other guys parade. You could have said something like, glad you got a good one or happy you haven't had to deal with their crummy customer service, like I have.
I have two Kimbers, both are tack drivers. My problems with them are MIM parts which break frequently ( adjustable sights) and the bad magazines they first used on their 10mm. Bought some Colt magazines which solved that problem and the latest sight , third one, seems to be working O.K. but that's the reason I switched to Dan Wesson's.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:01 AM   #25
stephen426

That's awesome! Congrats on your new purchase! Hope you enjoy it!