The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1
JJ45

Best mags for .45 ball?

Did a search on the best magazine for 1911 for shooting 230 grain FMJ ball but didn't come up with much. Mostly mag advice for JHP or wadcutter. Probably the cartridge Browning intended for the 1911.

What do you think the best mag and follower combination is best for shooting 230 grain FMJ in the 1911....I know every pistol can like something different but just in general....Thanks for any advice.
Old August 13, 2017, 11:29 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

The bullet shape makes no difference for the mag or its follower. You won't be using a WC in .45 ACP. The pistol has to be set up to use SWC's though. Most new .45's are these days.
If it's not, doing it isn't difficult to do. You simply extend the feed ramp up the sides of the chamber about half way using a jeweler's file(those wee file sets. Harbor Freight calls 'em 'Needle files'. 12 piece set is currently on sale at $2.99.). and be sure it's smooth. Easier to do than describe. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-pie...e-set-468.html
Old August 13, 2017, 12:08 PM   #3
RickB

The G.I., full-tapered feedlips were designed specifically for the 1911 and 230gr ball, so I would expect that combo to work.
I think Check-Mate is the only company making that style of mag today.

I shoot almost nothing but RN bullets through my pistols and have used mags from McCormick, ACT-Mag, Metalform, Check-Mate, and have never had any issues.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:13 PM   #4
JJ45

Well, I HAVE had issues but I only ever shoot ball and do not intend to shoot anything else in my 1911s and that includes reloads.

I have had issues in every 1911 I own and that includes a Colt 1991A1, a new Colt LW Commander and a Springfield Mil-Spec. I also shoot a Springfield XD and Xdm 9mms which I have NEVER had a single malfunction, in either pistol, at all.

I have others, single and double action revolvers, .22 autos and .22 revolvers, single and double action, Makarov pistols and a few others....The 1911s are the only ones to give me problems. Not a lot but I suspect they are mostly magazine related and thats why I asked the question.

I shoot a lot, have been for many years, and this includes some competition. When someone says the have never had a problem with their 1911 pistols I envy them. The thing is, they're my favorite for all the well known reasons but there is always a failure of some sort and I keep them very well cleaned and lubed properly and religiously. Keep an eye on springs, etc.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:33 PM   #5
RickB

I didn't say I've never had a problem of any kind, just never any feed issues.

I think the hunt for the reliable mag is based not on mags being of poor quality, but because each manufacturer designs a mag that is different from everyone else's, because it is "better", has really just designed a mag that is different, so some are left to find the different mag that is compatible with their different gun (which has also had its design changed from original specs to make it "better").

If you have a high-quality mag - Wilson, McCormick, Tripp, Metalform, et al. - and your gun doesn't run with factory hardball, I'd be looking for the problem somewhere other than the mag.
Chamber could be too tight (for better accuracy, you know . . .), or the extractor tension could be too great, or the frame is incorrectly dimensioned (for better feeding!).

I've come to like Check-Mate's "bullnose" follower and hybrid feedlip design, but some people hate it; if it didn't work in my guns, I'd hate it too!
Old August 13, 2017, 03:39 PM   #6
rock185

Hello JJ45, I have had issues with 1911 types over the years too, especially with Colts back in the '70s. One '70 Series Gold Cup wouldn't reliably feed any kind of ammo. I have to say that my 1911s of the past 20 years or so though, in 9MM, 10MM, .38 Super and .45 ACP, have been pretty darn reliable.

I can't say my preferred magazine is the best because I have not extensively tested all the magazines available on the market. I have used magazines from most of the major manufacturers though. I prefer, the 7-rd. Metal Forms with rounded followers in my 1911s. I have used this type for a very long time. They have proven reliable and durable within my experience. I've used these magazines in several manufactuer's guns, and can't really recall any malfunctions, ever, with ball ammo. They load easily, feed smoothly, and reliably lock open on empty. The rounded plastic followers used in another very popular magazine wear the follower where it contacts the slide stop to lock open on empty. Sometimes to the point the pistol will not lock open on empty. With the rounded metal followers, this is not an issue. I believe some manufacturers are now using a metal reinforcement on their plastic followers to alleviate this issue.

BTW, I still have a few 1911s, 9MM, 38 Super, .45 ACP, and have to say my current 1911s are just boringly reliable with any appropriate ammo, no matter which magazine I'm using. In any case, good luck sir in your quest for the best magazine for use with ball ammo. I think quality magazines from any of the major manufacturers would reliably feed ball in a pistol without other issues.
Old August 13, 2017, 03:44 PM   #7
reddog81

If your able to buy from the CMP they've got the cheapest 1911 mags I've seen in a long time. I've used mine with a variety of SWC and round nose bullets without any issues. I'd assume these were intended for 230 grain ball ammo.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Chip McCormick failed power mag at $33 bucks apiece. The 10 round version is my newest magazine and I haven't had any problems with it either.
Old August 13, 2017, 05:16 PM   #8
JJ45

RickB...rock185...two knowledgeable shooters, two differing preferences....CMs "bullnose" follower and hybrid feed lips...metalform with rounded followers...what do these two mags have in common?

rock85, you "haven't extensively tested all the magazines available on the market" have fun trying, thats the darn problem, there are too many on the market but then there are too many production 1911s on the market to reach a common denominator of the most reliable of ANYTHING 1911.

BTW what the heck is a "bullnose" follower?

I like everything about the pistol so I'll hafta keep at it... Labor of Love anyway
Old August 13, 2017, 05:56 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45
BTW what the heck is a "bullnose" follower?
One of the first non-Browning designed magazine followers to come along for the 1911 was a flat, bent, double layer follower called the Devel follower. That's the follower that Chip McCormick uses. Some people like it, others don't. An issue with that follower is that it has a short vertical leg (necessary to allow a flush magazine to hold 8 rounds), with the result that when the last round feeds the follower can tip forward. Not a huge deal in a steel pistol, but the follower is hardened steel and it does unpleasant things to the feed ramp in alloy pistols.

So Check-Mate came along and modified the Devel follower by adding a vertical leg to the front. This very effectively counters the tendency to tip, thereby protecting the feed ramp in alloy pistols.

This is what we're talking about:
Old August 13, 2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Model12Win

USGI.
Old August 13, 2017, 06:53 PM   #11
JJ45

OK, Thanks, I know what it is now, two of those were issued with a brand new LW Commander I have.

The various, myriad, production 1911s available from all the manufacturers should be made to function with just ONE particular magazine or be declared a reject. This would save some shooters a lot of $ and aggravation.

This is, of course, an absurdity if for no other reason, the number of loads and choices of ammo for the .45, each one suitable in certain mags in the 1911.

BUT, there are, of course, examples of auto pistols that are issued with only one type and model of magazines even if the pistol is produced by several countries. For instance, how many different types/style of magazine are available for the Browning HP, Makarov, CZ75, etc., etc? Maybe a few, but nowhere near the bewildering number of mags available for the 1911 platform.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:22 AM   #12
JDBerg

An excellent 1911 pistolsmith back in Pennsylvania recommends the Wilson Combat #47 7 round magazines and I see no point in arguing with this wisdom.
Old August 14, 2017, 01:06 PM   #13
SGW Gunsmith

I much prefer the Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat magazines. Magazine improvements have come a long way since 1911.