The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 13, 2017, 03:18 PM   #26
4EVERM-14

Quote:
kraigwy
All the marksmanship fundamentals in the world go out the window if you dont have a zero and confidence in that zero. This is true for every rifle you have.
Great advice!
Assuring first round hits only comes from knowing your rifle and the dope needed to get on target.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old August 18, 2017, 08:47 PM   #27
Andrewsky

Reply below.

Quote:
What am I missing here?

There is no "guessing and checking" with the no wind zero.

I am referring to the initial adjustment of the front sight in its dovetail.

Simple zero the rifle for no wind. On the rear sights there are marks on the receiver and sights. When zeroed, count the clicks left for right from the center mark. That is you No Wind Zero. Example:

2 Left, 3 Right, etc. etc.

I prefer to set it up by adjusting the front sight and keeping the rear windage centered for my no-wind zero.

Let's say I just got my rifle from the CMP. The rear windage is centered and I find that I am off 3 MOA left or right. Now I want to move the front sight rather than the rear, which is not a very precise process because I am just moving it in its dovetail.

I fail to see why the front sight has to be taller. It matches the rear sight as it is. As to the ears, they are higher then the front sight post, to protect the front sight, Why Change?

The front sight is fine. The rear sight ears are too short.

You do not need a flat head screw driver to adjust for elevation. Simple click the dial to adjust the sight to the desired elevation. The scew on the left side of the sights is for loosening the dial so it can be set to the marks on the receiver.

I was referring to the initial elevation zeroing procedure where you actually loosen the dial.
Old August 26, 2017, 02:58 AM   #28
DonnonGT

I've always loved the M-1 Garand and I carried an M-14 in the Army, where I fell in love with it as well. The M-14/M-1A is a fantastic rifle. I've owned three or four of them. The Garand will always be my favorite shooter though. I've never shot another rifle with iron sights that was as effortlessly accurate as a Garand. That felt as natural to aim and fire. If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life, it would be an M-1 Garand. No question.