The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 7, 2017, 05:30 PM   #26
Hal

Quote:
38s...can morph into 357 magnums...
IS THIS SAFE?!?!?!?! If you want to shoot .357 Mangum... BUY A .357 MAGNUM!
In the right guns - of course it's safe.
The "Elmer Keith" 173 grain .38 special is a different kind of special@ ~ 1400 fps from a 4" barrel.

Anyhow - - the .38 special can use bullet weights that the .32's simply can't approach - - I should change that to the .357" can use bullets with a higher sectional density than the .32" can - - - since that's more of an apples to apples.

200 grain .38 special loads, while not real common or popular, have a real following. that bullet has a SD of .223

A comparable .32 caliber would have a 160 grain bullet.
I have my doubts that a load like that would work out.....

Anyhow ----it's not which is better, it's which fits the situation better.
Old August 7, 2017, 06:17 PM   #27
TruthTellers

I'm realistic, I use what best fits a situation. I'm not asking a .32 to do what a heavy .38 bullet can do. If I need a heavy 180 grain or larger bullet, I'm probably going to use a .45 instead.

My opinion is that the .32 H&R is more versatile and can fill more roles than the .38 can, the .327 Federal even more so. Not saying the .38 is a bad choice, but I don't see it as this vundabar cartridge that is the best choice for every niche, need, or want that others claim.
Old August 7, 2017, 09:57 PM   #28
Bob Wright

While I'm no fan of the small bore, the .38 Special cartridge has earned its place in my battery.

For one advantage, as has been pointed out, the .38 Special can be loaded to a pretty potent defense cartridge. Why not go to .357 Magnum, you might well ask. Little snub nosed revolvers have a shortened extractor throw, and ejecting spent .38 Special hulls is a mite more positive than with .357 Magnum cases.

And the target load .38 Special 148 gr. wadcutter bullet is a quick stopper for rabbits and squirrels, where allowed by law. And loaded up with 110 gr. or 125 gr. JHPs makes a dandy round for eliminating crows. And with 140 gr. ~ 158 gr. Jhps its a pretty fair round for groundhogs.

One thing I've found over the years, I can handle the larger cartridges, that is, loading and ejecting, a little better than with the very small cartridges. This is especially true when the temperature dips to the freezing point and your hands aren't a nimble as in more civil weather.

Bob Wright
Old August 7, 2017, 10:05 PM   #29
Cosmodragoon

As funny as a "caliber war" over .32 H&R Magnum is in 2017, I'll always be fond of it. I'm currently in love with .327 Federal and keep hoping that it will survive long enough to see more of its potential realized. However, I still like, use, and carry other calibers throughout the year, such as 9mm and .40 S&W. They all do different things but there is one thing they'll all do adequately.
Old August 7, 2017, 11:08 PM   #30
TruthTellers

After 10 years of the .327 existing, I'm at the point where I don't care if the cartridge takes off or survives. I have my dies for it, I can get brass for it, I will soon have the guns to shoot it, and there will always be .32 bullets to shoot out of it.

I'm not saying I think .327 will disappear, I think snub revolvers and lever actions will continue to be made for it, but if not, they'll always be available used.

Would it be nice if more companies made more revolvers, rifles, and ammunition for it? Yup, but what's available or soon to be available, the Ruger revolvers and Henry Big Boy, is good enough for me.
Old August 8, 2017, 04:00 AM   #31
Hal

Quote:
I'm not asking a .32 to do what a heavy .38 bullet can do. If I need a heavy 180 grain or larger bullet, I'm probably going to use a .45 instead.

My opinion is that the .32 H&R is more versatile and can fill more roles than the .38 can
In a way, I agree with you about using a heavy. That's one reason I don't care about a .357 magnum. I can't see pushing a .357 so hard that it hurts to shoot it, when a .44 magnum can handle the same task with aplomb.

I feel that same way about the .32 vs the .38.

Pushing a .32 real hard is dumb to me when a .38 can handle the same tasks & do it with less overall stress to both me and the gun.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the topic though. I don't agree with it, but, that's my opinion.
Old August 8, 2017, 09:39 AM   #32
gunman5646

The idea that any one caliber will suit all my shooting and hunting needs, is rediculous. I consider the 32 H&R a pleasant to shoot, highly accurate, extremely versatile, small game cartridge. It is a great understudy for the 327 Fed, just as the 38 special is for the 357.
The new revolvers are now being chambered in 327 Fed ,just as most , not all, but most .357's are of the magnum persuasion.I see this same situation with the .44 spec. and the .44 mag.
Expecting a large, slow moving round to pick off varmints at 100 yds would be a waste of my time, as would using a thinly jacketed high velocity one for edible meat.
Trying to stretch one caliber to do everything is silly. Get the correct tool for the job. I don't shoot the rats in the barn with my 41 mag, nor deer with a .22. The whole 32 family(it should be the .312 family) has a niche as does the .357, .429, and the .452.
The 32-20 and .30 carbine rounds are on their way to oblivion as handgun cartridges due to the .327FED. It surpasses them in power(saami max of 45000 cup) and ease of reloading( straight walled case).

Last edited by gunman5646; August 8, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old August 8, 2017, 03:49 PM   #33
ThomasT

Quote:
I don't have any experience with any of the .32 calibers on handguns.
So I can't really give you my thoughts on it..
Then why comment if you have no experience?

Quote:
Now for plinking or a light general purpose round 22lr usually will get the nod.
You're probably not going t hunting with these .32cal handguns.. so what's the leave? self defense?
Actually the 32 is a perfect trail gun for me. For small game sure. but for bigger game like coyote's and other varmints in the over 20 pound range where a 22 would be marginal, you bet. The 32 mag will be far better than a 22. And 32s have been used for SD since the late 1800s.

But to be fair the 32s are pretty much handloaders rounds. Thats what they give up to 22s, 380s 9mms, 38s and 357 rounds. You can find factory ammo but to really enjoy a 32 you are better off if you can reload for it.

Last edited by ThomasT; August 8, 2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old August 8, 2017, 04:12 PM   #34
mavracer

Quote:
My opinion is that the .32 H&R is more versatile and can fill more roles than the .38 can
What role?
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 14, 2017, 06:08 PM   #35
saleen322

Quote:
I'd like to know what are your thoughts on this cartridge for defense and plinking?
For defense, about the same performance as the 38 Special when comparing "regular" factory ammo. For example: Federal 38 Special 110 gn Hydro Shock and 32 Mag 85 gn jacket hollow point, while both lighter than I would chose, are listed as defense loads. The 38 has a sectional density of .123 and 32 at .125--meaning about the same. Muzzle energy is 235 ft/lbs for the 38 and the 32 at 237 ft/lbs so not much difference there either. The 32 has a little softer recoil if both revolvers weigh about 2 pounds where the 32 has 2.2 ft/lbs of recoil compared to the 38 at 2.9 ft/lbs. This is comparing regular factory ammo but of course you can get Bison Bob's Big Boutique Bullets (or some other vendor) that were tested on T-Rex for either one showing different numbers but that goes both ways.

Plinking; 38 Special 148 wadcutters have been a target shooting staple for longer than I have been shooting. In the 32, you can shoot 32 S&W Long 98 grain wadcutters that are used in some of the finest target pistols in the world. Both are great and extremely accurate. The 38 clearly has the edge in retail store availability but not like the old days. 9mm, 40, etc are now more available than either of these. It comes down to what you like and me, I like both so I have both. YMMV
Old August 16, 2017, 04:57 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

It's a great substitute for 7.62X38R in my 1885 Nagant.
Right now with Gander Mountain's going out of business (for now) sale I can pick it up a lot cheaper than the Nagant ammo. Plus they have a bunch of it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 17, 2017, 05:25 PM   #37
revolvergeek

.32 mag is a easy to reload, well behaved, accurate little cartridge that will do a lot but does not not have all the profound blast / flash / recoil of the .327 magnum. It is like the relationship of a .38 spl to a .357 magnum, with all the same points and arguments.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:42 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

Ditto, I was shooting my 632 with 32 HR vs. 327. The 32s are easy to shoot. The 327s have a significantly loud noise - even with muffs of course, and the recoil isn't trivial.
Old August 18, 2017, 03:46 PM   #39
TruthTellers

Oh .327 is a lot louder and has more recoil than .32 H&R, but the point of the .327 is would you rather shoot it or .357 in the same size gun?
Old August 18, 2017, 08:34 PM   #40
Damon555

I've got a 357 GP100 that I mostly shoot 38 specials out of at steel plates.....I bet shooting the equivalent of a 32 special would be great for low recoil, fast, double action shooting. Sounds like another toy I can't afford!
Old August 19, 2017, 04:52 AM   #41
458winshooter

32's

Well having an extra round is kind of a big deal but many people are uncomfortable with the idea of a 32.So many folks have listened to the hype that a 38 is under powered so that a 32 could not possibly do the job.Today all the rage is bigger, better and more powerful.I've heard all kinds of folks who say the same about the 9mm.Most folks don't understand ballistics and how powerful and debilitating such rounds can be.Everyone is sold on the idea of a one shot drop.They don't seem to understand what modern ammo can do.The older guys that have had these for years do understand what sweet shooters they can be.
Old August 19, 2017, 10:01 AM   #42
mavracer

Quote:
Oh .327 is a lot louder and has more recoil than .32 H&R, but the point of the .327 is would you rather shoot it or .357 in the same size gun?
Since I can get the same power at a lower pressure level with a 357 I see no advantage to the 327 from a comfort standpoint.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 19, 2017, 03:02 PM   #43
Don Fischer

I have 2 32's. An ACP that I never shoot. Mod 1917 Savage and can't find one use for it. The other in a S&W mod 16 32 long. Love that gun. Shoot it more than anything including one of my 22 handguns. I cast for it using 92 gr bullet's and if I was to really get into small game again, the 32 Long is what I'd use. Something about it is it's accurate, more powerful than a 22 RF and I can shoot it much more inexpensively than any rim fire. As a defense gun, no way. That small cartridge and bullet does not inspire a lot of confidence in me. But if something were to happen while I was out with it. I'd shoot the B*st*rd with my 9mm, carry it every where! At time's I though something like the 77/22 rifle would be a super rifle for it.
Old August 20, 2017, 10:49 AM   #44
tallball

I love my 32 revolvers. I have a half dozen or so. My wife has weak wrists, but can shoot 32 H&R magnum just fine. 32 S&W long has very little recoil and is a great transition from 22 to 38 for new shooters. My 32 H&R magnum Ruger Single Six is one of my most entertaining handguns to shoot.
Old August 27, 2017, 03:38 PM   #45
Ibmikey

Just came across a Single Six 4 3/4" in .32 mag and a Marlin Cowboy in the same caliber. I have been shooting the Ruger and find it to be accurate and a bit more fun than he same pistol in .22 LR, one shot of .32 putting a Texas feral hog in never never land.
I choose not to debate .32 vs .38 as I enjoy both calibers and feel either would be adequate for defensive purposes ( my friend's wife has a J frame in .32 mag) and I have no idea what concealable pistols are available for consumption. So I have fun with the Ruger, have not shot the Marlin as yet, and am happy to find a new caliber to play with.
Old August 27, 2017, 07:16 PM   #46
rclark

Finally Found/bought a blued Single Six .32 H&R Mag last weekend. NIB from 1984. Throats appear to be good. A .313 bullet slips through the throats, and .002 gap. Seems accurate and after about 80 rounds, no detectable leading build up. Perfect! Can't say much for the grip frame though. Ears are a bit proud, and along the side inset a bit... Not a 'perfect' fit... Needs a proper Munden tuneup as lots of creep and pressure needed (even with one trigger spring leg off)! Anyway, as I said, I load to .22LR velocities, but since the bullet is heavier (40g vs 78g), it'll hit harder, yet recoil is still much like the .22LR. Fun... And the wife will enjoy shooting it, plus the cartridge is reloadable. Whatever the .22 can do ... this can do.. Win Win.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; August 27, 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 28, 2017, 11:47 AM   #47
Old Stony

I have a bunch of 32/20s and several 32 H&r mags...none of them have an actual purpose and are just for fun. I have a 32 mag Marlin CB, that is fun to shoot..but again ...no actual purpose other than fun. I have one J frame S&W that was in .32 long, that I reamed out to H&R mag. I parkerized it as well and gave it to my wife. Neat caliber to play with.
Old August 28, 2017, 08:11 PM   #48
James K
Member In Memoriam

" The only reason .380 is so popular is the faster reload."

Maybe, but IMHO, the only reason .380 is popular is that .32 and .25 calibers are banned from import under GCA '68, leaving the .380 as the only round available in a pocket-size pistol. It is undoubtedly more effective than the smaller pistol calibers, but both .25 and 32 ACP would be much more popular if not effectively banned from import.

Jim
Old August 29, 2017, 12:26 AM   #49
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... IMHO, the only reason .380 is popular is that .32 and .25 calibers are banned from import under GCA '68, leaving the .380 as the only round available in a pocket-size pistol. It is undoubtedly more effective than the smaller pistol calibers, but both .25 and 32 ACP would be much more popular if not effectively banned from import.
I think that's an astute observation. As reputations are built over time, we are whole generations downwind of that horrendous law. Being isolated from markets where the .32/7.65 remained much more popular for a lot longer probably did more than just limit its use here. It also probably worked to limit growth and development within our market. I think 9mm and .380 have come a long way in that time. I know the old semi-rimmed cartridge has its limitations but had it been more popular, it might also have seen improvement.
Old August 29, 2017, 03:38 AM   #50
stevelyn

Makes for a great fur-friendly trapline round.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.