The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 19, 2017, 08:06 PM   #1
TXAZ

Integrally suppressed vs. screw on suppressor .22

A relative who lives in the suburbs has a possum problem. A friendly cop suggested an integrally suppressed .22.
Any recommendations on an integrally suppressed .22, or a .22 and a supressor?
Thanks

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 19, 2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Mobuck

This "relative" should realize that the current NFA stamp approval time is around a year.
If there are regulations in this "suburb" that forbid firing a gun, the suppressor won't make it legal.
My preference is for a "screw on" suppressor. For a rifle like a Ruger 10-22, the only modification of the firearm is having the barrel threaded or swapping in a threaded barrel. This is simple and relatively in-expensive. The plus side is the rifle is still legal to use as original. An integrally suppressed gun(rifle or pistol) will have some restrictions on travel.
There are integrally suppressed barrels for the 10-22 that are direct swap in.
Old August 19, 2017, 11:20 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mobuck ...... An integrally suppressed gun(rifle or pistol) will have some restrictions on travel....
Nonsense.
No Federal law or ATF regulation restricts interstate travel of a silencer or suppressor. Whether the silencer is integral has nothing to do with it.

Doesn't even need a Form 5320.20

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 20, 2017, 07:13 AM   #4
Mobuck

"Nonsense.
No Federal law or ATF regulation restricts interstate travel of a silencer or suppressor. Whether the silencer is integral has nothing to do with it.

Doesn't even need a Form 5320.20"

Depends on which state you might be traveling to.
Old August 20, 2017, 08:58 AM   #5
9x19

I have a "Stinger" .22 silencer from Yankee Hill Machine. It's a screw-on model and very effective with standard velocity ammo.

Good luck to your neighbor.
Old August 20, 2017, 09:15 AM   #6
shootbrownelk

Tell him to get himself a good air rifle. Problem solved.
Old August 20, 2017, 09:26 AM   #7
FITASC

Springer type air rifles, especially those going 1000fps, are loud. A .22 or .25 PCP type can be dialed down to subsonic levels
If they are digging under things like sheds, using chicken wire shoved into holes will aid
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 20, 2017, 09:52 AM   #8
Ricklin

PCP or good springer

Quite a few of the airguns are suppressed, though I have not fired one.

Many of the no gun regulations state firearms, and an air gun does not meet the definition.

Check your own local regulations.
Old August 20, 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Prndll

I'm not sure I would ever want anything that's integrally suppressed. But to each their own. It sounds like it might be time to consider a series of strategically placed glue traps instead. Although using a suppressed .22 does sound like fun.
Old August 20, 2017, 12:17 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...A friendly cop suggested..." Who was counselling the guy to commit a crime. That being a crime itself in most places. So is discharging a firearm(that usually includes air guns but check local ordinances.).
If you want Pogo to go away, you remove the food source. And seal up any holes in the house and/or porch/sheds to remove nesting sites. Otherwise you're live trapping(killer traps are also illegal in most places. Killing the neighbour's cat can get you charged and sued.) and relocating Pogo.
Old August 20, 2017, 08:28 PM   #11
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mobuck
Quote:
"Nonsense.

Doesn't even need a Form 5320.20"
Depends on which state you might be traveling to.
Again, FEDERAL law has no such restriction.

Since you claimed "An integrally suppressed gun(rifle or pistol) will have some restrictions on travel".......tell us what states differentiate between an integral silencer and one that is removable.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 21, 2017, 06:12 AM   #12
zukiphile

Quote:
Since you claimed "An integrally suppressed gun(rifle or pistol) will have some restrictions on travel".......tell us what states differentiate between an integral silencer and one that is removable.
Tom, as you may have gleaned from his original explanation simply removing the suppressor from the end of a threaded barrel leaves the 10/22 as loud as an unsuppressed 10/22, because that's what it is. An integrally suppressed 10/22 can have the baffles removed from the barrel, but the cap itself might make the rifle quieter even if one's intent is to un-suppress the rifle. It might not be circumspect to assume that every state will rely on one's intent to comply with local law where one doesn't successfully comply.

Hope that helps.
Old August 21, 2017, 09:16 AM   #13
weblance

I had a groundhog problem. I bought a SilencerCo Sparrow. I though that just one threaded rifle to deal with my problem would be enough. I now have 26 hosts, pistols and rifles. IF you get an integral barrel, you only have one suppressed weapon. I can, and do, move my Sparrow from host to host.

I shot my Sparrow equipped 22/45 next to an integrally suppressed Mark II at the range one day. There was no difference in performance. The only difference, that Mark II looked like a regular long barrel pistol. It didn't attract any attention. Good, or bad, that's the only difference I see to an integral. It also was getting ready to go back to the manufacturer to be cleaned. I clean mine easily at home.

I recommend a screw on suppressor. And a threaded Ruger 10/22
Old August 21, 2017, 09:46 AM   #14
zukiphile

Quote:
I had a groundhog problem. ...I now have 26 hosts, pistols and rifles.
If you are going to trade one problem for another, you always want to trade up.
Old August 21, 2017, 11:03 PM   #15
dogtown tom

Quote:
zukiphile
Quote:
Quote:
Tom, as you may have gleaned from his original explanation simply removing the suppressor from the end of a threaded barrel leaves the 10/22 as loud as an unsuppressed 10/22, because that's what it is. An integrally suppressed 10/22 can have the baffles removed from the barrel, but the cap itself might make the rifle quieter even if one's intent is to un-suppress the rifle. It might not be circumspect to assume that every state will rely on one's intent to comply with local law where one doesn't successfully comply.

Hope that helps.
It doesn't.
He claims an integrally suppressed rifle is restricted differently than one with a removable can. Most certainly that is not true under Federal law and I'm asking him to provide a citation to a state law that makes such a distinction.

Removing the baffles from an integrally silenced rifle results in.........a silencer without baffles. Any part of a silencer is considered a silencer by itself. Removing baffles doesn't change the legality of any silencer.

Old August 21, 2017, 11:12 PM   #16
dogtown tom

Quote:
weblance ....The only difference, that Mark II looked like a regular long barrel pistol. It didn't attract any attention. Good, or bad, that's the only difference I see to an integral.
In a rifle, an integral silencer results in a shorter firearm. I have a 10/22 with a 16" barrel (8" rifled, the remainder of the bbl "tube" is the silencer). Using a 10/22 with a removable silencer means your 10/22 is going to be 5"-8" longer than mine.

Using a removable silencer and you are looking at two stamps to get that short, one for the silencer, another for your SBR 10/22.

Another benefit is the increased volume of an integral silencer.....making a quieter report.

Quote:
It also was getting ready to go back to the manufacturer to be cleaned. I clean mine easily at home.
Never seen an integral silencer that couldn't be cleaned at home. Mine is.

Old August 22, 2017, 08:14 AM   #17
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
He [Mobuck] claims an integrally suppressed rifle is restricted differently than one with a removable can.
That is incorrect. His point is quite different.

You appear to have confused what you inferred from the text with the text itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
The plus side is the rifle [with a threaded barrel] is still legal to use as original. An integrally suppressed gun(rifle or pistol) will have some restrictions on travel.
Mobuck's observation is not that "an integrally suppressed rifle is restricted differently than one with a removable can", but that a rifle with a threaded barrel will not be prohibited by state laws prohibiting silencers.

Quote:
Most certainly that is not true under Federal law and I'm asking him to provide a citation to a state law that makes such a distinction.
Since he wasn't making the distinction you thought he made, asking for a supporting citation isn't reasonable.

Explanation of the point made does appear to have clarified the issue for you.

Quote:
Removing the baffles from an integrally silenced rifle results in.........a silencer without baffles. Any part of a silencer is considered a silencer by itself. Removing baffles doesn't change the legality of any silencer.
Therefore, the integrally suppressed 10/22 poses the problem to its possessor that transport to a state that prohibits possession of silencers would also prohibit his rifle in that configuration.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 22, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old August 22, 2017, 09:55 AM   #18
weblance

Quote:
In a rifle, an integral silencer results in a shorter firearm. I have a 10/22 with a 16" barrel (8" rifled, the remainder of the bbl "tube" is the silencer). Using a 10/22 with a removable silencer means your 10/22 is going to be 5"-8" longer than mine.

Using a removable silencer and you are looking at two stamps to get that short, one for the silencer, another for your SBR 10/22.

Another benefit is the increased volume of an integral silencer.....making a quieter report.

Never seen an integral silencer that couldn't be cleaned at home.
I have a TacSol SBX barrel in one of my 10/22s, its basically a 12" barrel with a permanently attached shroud. The total overall length WITH the suppressor is 17", so thats how you get around the length issue. No stamp required for the barrel.

Increased internal volume in an integral MAY result in a softer report, but that is arguable, and only a minute difference, if any.

The Mark II that the range shooter had was an original Amphibian. It is a sealed unit. It is non user serviceable.
Old August 24, 2017, 09:43 AM   #19
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...A friendly cop suggested..." Who was counselling the guy to commit a crime. That being a crime itself in most places. So is discharging a firearm(that usually includes air guns but check local ordinances.).
Patently false. Local ordinances vary greatly from locale to locale. The claim that the allegedly 'friendly cop' was suggesting he break the law only may be true.

However, I completely agree with checking local ordinances to ensure compliance with the law.

-

On the matter of suppressing integrally vs. removable; the possible benefit of many receivers with integral suppressors is that the body of the suppressor comprises part of the barrel if permanently attached (at least in the ATF's eyes). This can allow the user the benefit of needing only one tax stamp while having the compactness of an SBR with an attached suppressor (and avoiding the SBR tax stamp) so long as the total length of barrel and suppressor is at least 16" in length. The downside is the permanently attached suppressor body.
Old August 27, 2017, 10:57 AM   #20
Bartholomew Roberts

You'll want to look at any municipal ordinances. Some Texas towns restrict even use of airguns in their city limits. The second issue will be making sure a practical, safe backstop exists.

Once you've got those two solved, I don't think you gain any significant advantage from an integral surpressor on a .22. Action noise is the main place you can cut down on noise, so a bolt-action with a threaded muzzle is probably more versatile. Given ATF wait times, some of the downloaded .22 options like .22CB are probably more responsive.

Having said that, possums are generally pretty good to have around for bug control and mostly harmless.
Old August 27, 2017, 03:15 PM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
You'll want to look at any municipal ordinances.
+1.

I had a rabbit problem in my garden. I popped a couple with a pellet gun, and got a written warning letter from the town board, including a copy of the ordinance violated, with "airgun" highlighted .... it also prohibited just about any projectile, including thrown rocks and sticks ..... I noted the wording did not include "bow and arrow" ..... so I purchased some judo points for my longbow ..... planted some rabbits and had a wonderful crop of peas....... I have ben controlling them this way for near 5 years now, and have heard nothing about it.

Also, FWIW: 'Possums are terribly slow and not that tough. You can run them down and dispatch them with a stick ..... they are not hard to trap, either.