The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2017, 01:59 AM   #26
nanuk-O-dah-Nort

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post

Use .312" lead wire. Bump the diameter (if needed). Powder coat.
Done.

At about $78 per 25 lb spool, making a 60 gr bullet, the cost is about 2.6 cents per bullet. (Not counting shipping, waste, or PC. -- But without the requirement for a mold.)

I am not sure how I'd cut wire to make square ends...

and up here, lead ingots are over $8/lb, I'm sure lead wire would be $250-300 per roll.

I wouldn't even know where to look.
Old August 15, 2017, 04:38 AM   #27
TruthTellers

I could just make my own 50-60 grain .32 wadcutter mold. It'd only have one lube groove, placed right in the middle of the bullet to make it as symmetrical as possible. I wouldn't even lube it, I'd powder coat it.

I'd size it down to .313 after coating.

And before you have a panic attack, I don't think there would be too much bearing surface. Remember, this wadcutter would be half the length of a standard .32 wadcutter.
Old August 15, 2017, 01:29 PM   #28
the possum

Second the idea of cast lead bullets. They don't need as much pressure to keep from getting stuck in the bore. Plus, they're way cheaper to buy- only a nickel apiece. I can't justify hours of time to cast my own compared to that.

Smokeless powder needs pressure to burn efficiently, or you'll get a squib if ya go too low. If you find you can't reach your goal, there's always black powder. Theoretically you should be able to work all the way down until the bullets just dribble out the muzzle, and the powder will still combust fully. Of course, I don't know if ya wanna deal with cleaning all the fouling outta every nook and cranny on a repeater.

Quote:
That's too fast for what I want, which is just a reloadable, centerfire cartridge as close to standard velocity .22 LR as possible and is accurate out to 50 yards.
I was after pretty much the same thing, but didn't wanna buy a whole new gun for the purpose. So I'm stuffing .32 lead pistol bullets into 7.62x39 cases to shoot out of my CZ 527 carbine. Load is a little under 4 grains of Red Dot (3.7 grains, if I'm remembering correctly), simply because that's what my little plastic dipper holds, and I had the Red Dot on hand. Maybe next weekend I'll finally have time to try squirrel hunting with it.
Old August 15, 2017, 01:53 PM   #29
jag2

Haven't seen them mentioned, Rainier makes a 32 cal 100 grain plated that I use for 32-20. Not a huge fan of lead so I like the plating. Use them in pistol and rifle with different amounts and powders. Find them at Midway.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:40 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am not sure how I'd cut wire to make square ends...
Build a shear.

But, if you're somewhere where lead wire is stupid expensive, then it isn't worth it.