The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2017, 10:43 PM   #26
Lou G.

The "Navy Pepperbox"

Re Pietta's '51 Navy Pepperbox: you may want to take a look at the "Forgotten Weapons" video entitled "Custom Walch Pepperbox"---most interesting. Also, somewhere on the Web is a photo of a Bentley pepperbox built on a conventional revolver frame---completely original. (This photo initially appeared as Plate 11 in William Dowell's book "The Webley Story.")
Old July 6, 2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Hawg

The Walsh is a one of home brew. The only Bently's I could find looked like every other pepperbox.
Old July 6, 2017, 02:03 PM   #28
noelf2

Since this has been brought to life again, I can confirm that my pepperbox will take a .36 pietta cylinder without help. .44 will not fit (of course, no relief in the water table). Just need a pietta barrel for it and it's a fine convertible setup. Hate to spend $125 for one from VTI gunparts, but may go that route eventually. All the barrels for sale on ebay must be solid gold.
Old July 7, 2017, 09:04 AM   #29
Lou G.

The photo of Bentley's revolver-like pepperbox is in the High Road Forum's Black Powder Section, with the title "New EMF Pepperbox", posted back in September of 2011. If it won't come up, another photo of this piece appears on Plate 11 of William Dowell's book "The Webley Story."
Old July 7, 2017, 03:20 PM   #30
TruthTellers

I bought a Pietta '51 Navy steel frame from Cabela's last year when it was on sale. With gift cards I spent $80 on it and I feel it was a steal.

This Pepperbox tho... I'm all for convertible firearms of all kinds, but I see absolutely no purpose that this pepperbox serves other than to separate people from their mostly hard earned money.

If you want a small percussion revolver, wait for another 1851 or 1860 to go on sale at Cabela's, buy a spare barrel for it, and cut it down to 3 inches. Now you've got the long barrel and a spare short barrel that's way more sensible.

And if, IF, you really like pepperbox guns, get a vintage Allen & Thurber that was made in my neck of the woods almost 170 year ago.
Old July 7, 2017, 06:08 PM   #31
noelf2

Quote:
This Pepperbox tho... I'm all for convertible firearms of all kinds, but I see absolutely no purpose that this pepperbox serves other than to separate people from their mostly hard earned money.
LOL, as far as I'm concerned, that's what all replica black powder revolvers are for. They are fun. The pepperbox fits the same bill.

Quote:
If you want a small percussion revolver, wait for another 1851 or 1860 to go on sale at Cabela's, buy a spare barrel for it, and cut it down to 3 inches. Now you've got the long barrel and a spare short barrel that's way more sensible.
Close. My plan is to get an 1851 Sheriff in .36, keep the barrel, sell the rest in parts. Cabelas currently doesn't have a sheriff model in .36 cal. I already have an 1851 snub nose in .44. The thing about this pepperbox is that the trigger is perfect. No creep at all. Perfect break at about 4 or 5 pounds. I have never had a replica revolver that good except for one I've had goonerized. I got a .36 cylinder for it on sale (Cabelas) and it's a perfect fit. Just need a wedge and sheriff barrel.