The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Mr. Hill

Took the .40 to the mountains!

Went to the national forest today with my S&W 411. I needed ammo first though, so I went to 2 different gun stores that were both closed (Sunday). So then I Had to resort to Walmart in Woodland Park; they had the Winchester white box 165 grain tmj at a pretty good price, so I picked up a box of 100. The clerk even told me a good spot in the forest to go shooting! It was the Best Walmart experience I've ever had.

The 411 was a lot of fun to shoot! I like the full-size smiths, and the pistol seemed to like the ammo. I successfully shot a beer can about 8 feet into the air. I actually like the simple white dot on the front sight, and no dots on the rear sight. It was really easy to pick up the can by concentrating on the front sight, and not Having to worry about dots on the rear sight. Anyway, the pistol shot well enough to pretty well shred the can.

It was really good to shoot outside in the mountains. I've missed it! I also set up a tarp lean-to, made a small fire, and roasted some hot dogs. But the shooting was the best part. I'd forgotten how fun the .40 S&W can be!
Old August 14, 2017, 12:00 AM   #2
xcc_rider

Sounds like a good time for all! Thx for sharing.
Old August 14, 2017, 06:01 PM   #3
SauerGrapes

I miss the mountains. Sounds like a fun day

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 14, 2017, 08:09 PM   #4
lunger

Sometimes we get caught up in putting small groups on paper or training drills. We forget how much fun it can be to roll a few cans.

Places to go plinking are getting hard to find, good reason for a mountain trip.
Old August 14, 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
jmr40

I had one of those for a while. Smith made a 915, 457, and the 411 in 9mm, 45, and 40 respectively. All 3 were good values for the money.

Winston Churchill
Old August 14, 2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Model12Win

Very cool. A .40 is a great thing to take to the mountains!!