The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 9, 2017, 05:35 AM   #1
dr1445

replica 1858 and colt trigger pull.

i notice all my replicas, pietta and uberti, both have a sight amount of double action pull on the trigger. that is you pull the trigger and the hammer moves backwards slightly before releasing. can the hammer be stoned to remove this unwanted motion?
Old August 9, 2017, 09:08 AM   #2
45 Dragoon

That's called positive engagement. It is actually a good thing for yours as well as others safety. A neutral engagement is no movement of the hammer in either direction before breaking and of course a negative engagement is movement towards the cylinder as the trigger is pulled before breaking. Negative engagement is an accident waiting to happen!

I make sure all revolvers that leave the shop have pos engagement.
Many times, positive engagement is needed to get enough tension for a safe trigger pull.

As to your question, removing the engagement may cause a "hair trigger" situation. Proceed with caution . . . .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old August 9, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
dr1445

thanks for the explanation.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:24 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

In addition, positive engagement means that if the trigger is pulled part way, then released, the tension of the main (hammer) spring will cause the sear part of the trigger to re-engage fully. If that is not done, the "half-pulled) trigger would be far too light and unsafe.

Jim
Old August 9, 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
Rookie21

I have an 1858 Remington, and am 1851 Colt Navy both made by Pietta. They both had a bump or notch in the furthest edge of the full cock notch. I stoned them and removed them. It left me having a very smooth and clean trigger pull but it dropped the pull weight considerably. Since I use these guns competitively the weights came out pleasing but they are light by most standards. This can be countered by bending the trigger spring in some to increase tension on the trigger. With the addition of the spring being tuned you can come out with a very nice clean smooth trigger with a poundage pull that would be safe and usable. In doing this I did not need to touch the sear which is the end of the trigger.
Old August 9, 2017, 08:50 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Rookie - just curious - what is your trigger pull on your modifications?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 9, 2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Rookie21

I actually don't remember what it is on my Remington - I think 1.5 maybe 2 pounds. Probably closer to 1.5.

The Navy I never gauged it. I cleaned it up, and it felt great. Shot great. Left it alone. I've only shot the navy very little so I haven't gotten all my holds and loads worked out yet. I will measure it some time.

I will have to dig out my Remington for practice this weekend. If I remember I will weigh it again and see for sure what it's tripping at. The trigger has a little bit of a roll to it. A little bit of travel. Not much. It moves then bang. Nice for a slow fire target when you're on a shot you want to abort. Gives you a little room before the point of no return.
Old August 10, 2017, 02:28 PM   #8
denster

Positive engagement is a good thing. However Pietta normally has to deep an engagement resulting in a long overly heavy pull. The fix I use is to pin the hammer full cock notch. That is I drill a small hole with a carbide drill just in front of the full cock notch and either drive fit or red locktite a steel pin in the hole. The height of the pin is then reduced until I get the trigger pull I am looking for. I would describe as crisp but safe. You still have the positive engagement but a much nicer trigger.
As to stoning you need to be really careful as the hammer is only case hardened and you can cut through that in short order.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:24 PM   #9
Rookie21

I didn't harden the hammer after my work but I've been shooting the gun very often for two years. No problems. Yes you have to be careful about how far you go and how hard the metal is below the finish. But if you're careful it'll turn out okay. And if you go too far it can be hardened easily enough. The nice thing is that you're only stoning one surface. Not the sides. And the sides are still case hardened. Probably enough to support the stoned surface.
Old August 13, 2017, 06:43 PM   #10
Rookie21

Ok I got to weighing the triggers in my guns. My 1858 Remington Target Model is 1.5 pounds. I forgot to weigh the 1851 Navy. My single shot caplock is 1.25 pounds, and my single shot flintlock is 1 pound. Not for any use other than competive target shooting.