The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 27, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
FinalJenemba

Budget Remington 700 Build

Just finished putting together my 700. Wanted to build something inexpensive but powerful with allot of reach, really happy with how it came out. It's a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag. The scope is a Millet trs-1. Really like the look with this scope, can't wait to get to the range with it. As well as it shot with the crappy scope it came with it should be great with a decent one

What kind of distance to you guys think I could realistically get out of this gun/scope combo? I have had it to the range once with the junk scope it came with and it did 1" groups at 50y easily, I don't see less then 1" at 100y being a problem after a little practice.

Old June 27, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: Budget Remington 700 Build

The limiting factor is going to be the stock and ammunition. With handloads my Remington 700 Varmint keeps tight groups and is sub MOA out to 600 yards... After I changed the stock. I will add, your scope appears to be mounted slightly too far rearward.

As to what distance you can get with it? Well, the round will go a long ways... How accurate are you wanting to stay?
Old June 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
therifleman556

Make sure the bedding is solid. ADL stocks can be lacking in that regard. I would recommend bedding the action and floating the barrel. Remington stocks have two little humps at the end of the barrel channel to keep consistent tension on the barrel. I've always done away with those, they could especially cause issues when using a bipod.

My 7mm BDL will hold just over half moa up to 300 yards, glass bedded action with barrel free floating with the stock trigger tuned and wearing a 4.5-14 Burris Fullfield II.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:48 AM   #4
steveNChunter

Quote:
I will add, your scope appears to be mounted slightly too far rearward.
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter if its a little farther back if thats where he wants it or where it fits him best? I'm asking this because a couple of my rifles with longer lengths of pull have the scopes mounted about that far back. They are mounted that way because I'm short and it helps me to not have to lean in farther than I want to so that my eye is the correct distance from the scope. Are there negative effects when mounting a scope that way that I dont know about?
Old June 28, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
AllenJ

My oldest son has the exact same rifle in the same caliber. Stock, his shot 1" @ 100 yards using 150 grain Sierra SBT and both IMR4350 or IMR4831. He has replaced the stock and converted it to accept a magazine and we just got done putting a Vari-X III, 3.5X10 on it. Our range is limited to 550 yards and we are able to hit clay pigeons at that distance using it. I'll bet that gun is going to be able to shoot a lot farther than you or I are comfortable with
Old June 28, 2013, 09:42 AM   #6
allaroundhunter

Re: Budget Remington 700 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post
Just out of curiosity, why does it matter if its a little farther back if thats where he wants it or where it fits him best? I'm asking this because a couple of my rifles with longer lengths of pull have the scopes mounted about that far back. They are mounted that way because I'm short and it helps me to not have to lean in farther than I want to so that my eye is the correct distance from the scope. Are there negative effects when mounting a scope that way that I dont know about?
If it works for him that's great, I'm just mentioning it because it could be causing to be getting an unnatural cheek weld which will not help his accuracy. If it is a little far back and his head isn't further back to match it, well, we know what happens when the scope meets the skin around the eye... He said that he had not shot the gun with that scope on so I thought I'd say something about it so the OP may double check before he heads out to the range.

I also said something because I have the exact same scope on my Remington 700. They eye relief is very generous, and if I were to mount my scope that far back I would imagine it causing a very uncomfortable head position for any shooter, regardless of size.