The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2010, 11:24 AM   #51
plateshooter

I have been accumulating knives for 50 years and have a couple Tupperware storage containers full.

These days about the only one I use for almost everything is a Mora Clipper. About a 10 dollar knife, light like a feather, carbon steel, and sharpens like a razor very easily.

It isn't pretty, but it sure works well.

Old December 25, 2010, 04:32 PM   #52
JKump

My woods knife (hunting, fishing, etc). Is the Cold steel Finn Bear, fits the hand well and for the price it can't be beat.
http://www.coldsteel.com/finnbear.html

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old December 25, 2010, 08:21 PM   #53
Gbro

I have many different hunting knives.
My 1st is a Western L88 Skinner.
I do not find any on the internet other than a sold one refering to it as an "Antique Bowie Skinner". The sheath is very poorly designed but a very useful skinning knife that I used this year.
The 1st one I bought was I believe was a Buck 110. I have given it to one of my Grandsons as I have a much better one now.
The Buck knife is a very important Heirloom knife, as My FIL was a self proclaimed knife expert and saw me sharpening it 35 years back and told me he would give me a few lessons on how to sharpen a knife! Well he worked at it for about 2 hours with his toothless gumms working the WB Cut tobacco chew about as hard as he worked the stone. Then he tossed it down claiming the knife is worthless!
He had never worked a hollow ground knife and the stone never got close to the edge. The stoning marks on this knife bring back wonderful hunting memories of my best hunting partner I ever had.

Today I carry a hand made knife by a Wonderful knife-maker out of Kalkaska Michigan by the name of Russ Musselman.

This image is a Damascus steel knife and mine is just Carbon Steel, However I have one of his 1st made. It was given to me by his father who was my neighbor at the hunting shack. It looks exactly like the one pictured.
There is over a 2 year wait on any Musselman Knives.
http://www.mcknightcutlery.com/_cata...RUSS_MUSSELMAN

Last edited by Gbro; December 26, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old December 25, 2010, 08:22 PM   #54
Logs

CUTCO

Cutco hunting knife with DD Edge. This knife is AWESOME and stays sharp.

Like this one.... Not my ad.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unused-Cutco-Hun...item27b78ae3a9
Old December 25, 2010, 09:26 PM   #55
PawPaw

I( carry two knives when hunting. Both in my hunting bag, A Kabar for general rough work and a Buck skinner that my son gave me ten years ago. Plus the Old Timer, two blade stockman in my pocket. Plus the Gerber hand axe in the pickup truck.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 25, 2010, 10:32 PM   #56
Scout

I still use a Buck 110.
Old December 26, 2010, 03:16 AM   #57
bamaranger

somebody asked

For stainless, and many of my others these days, I'm using a Smiths diamond hone thingy. Sorry, that's about all I know to call it. 4-6 inch dual sided "stone" w/ a self storing handle, one side coarse, the other fine. Think its diamond crystals or similar abrasive set in metal. It will bring stainless back fast, and the coarse side is great for an axe, or 'hawk.

I do not use it on my vintage carbon blades.
Old December 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #58
mijadalar

I would highly recommend that you check out the SOG Field Pup. I have used so many knives over the years (Gerber, Kershaw, Benchmade, Buck, etc) and this one far out performs any of the others. It's not too expensive, either. It has a drop point, the blade stays very sharp (even when cleaning hogs), and has a very comfortable grip that doesn't slip. It's around a 4" fixed blade.

As for knife sharpeners, try out the Warthog V-Sharp. Very easy to use and works fast. We've got one in the shed where we clean hogs. Usually had to sharpen after each pig... until I got my Dad a Field Pup. Now we all fight over who gets to use it.
Old December 28, 2010, 04:16 PM   #59
Slamfire

Grohmann makes an outstanding knife called the "Canadian Belt Knife". It is just the size for a steak knife because I have used mine in that capacity, and also in cutting up fruit. It is a good cutting knife.

It comes from the 50's when people used to walk in and out. So it is a lot lighter than current generation pry bar stuff.

You get a nice thick leather scabbard. I like my rosewood handle, lots of figuring. Overall a well made piece.

The blade steel is not so hard that you cannot sharpen it in the field.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html
Old December 28, 2010, 04:27 PM   #60
Lazy R

Buck folder, I guess it's a 110. Bought it in 1985 and it's done every big game animal I've ever shot (a bunch of deer and couple elk) plus a slew of birds.

Some really nice knives out there but never needed more than this, now I'd feel like I was cheating on it if I used a different one.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:54 PM   #61
Deerhunter

I use a Gerber Paraframe. With the cut out it is easy to clean. It holds a really good edge and is easy to sharpen. I have gutted several deer with mine, breasted out 3 ducks yesterday with is. Just a good knofe. I have a lot of others but that is my go to. Light and easy to carry. I have several of Dave Beck's knives including the Wilderness Survival Knife. They are great but I don't like taking them out to the woods.
Old December 30, 2010, 11:10 AM   #62
Morgoroth

So on the topic of knives, people are really picky about knives and which are better than others, but it seems to me that the blade is the important part, and 90% of them are made out of 440 Stainless now a days so most of the are about as good as any other.

I could be wrong though. It has happened before.

I do know this is the greatest sharpener ever.
http://www.thespydercostore.com/Spyd...et-p/204mf.htm

It will even do serrated blades and scissors and pretty much anything. Straight razors, fish hooks, finger nail clippers.

Oh and Logs, it will sharpen the DD Cutco blades too. I used to sell them and this was what we would use to refurb the ones people had used a lot. (like years and years)
Old December 30, 2010, 11:59 AM   #63
Doyle

Plateshooter, I bought one of those Mora knives to use as a small bait knife for offshore fishing. It is sharp and holds an edge good but it definately doesn't like a salt-water environment. I cut up a bunch of squid and put the knife back in the scabbard. When I pulled it out a couple of hours later, it was almost black with tarnish.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:12 PM   #64
BIG P

110 buck & old timmer double blade
Old December 30, 2010, 12:58 PM   #65
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Moderator note:

Guys, just so you know, the OP was (note I said "was" ) a Chinese spammer, albeit a very good and sneaky one .

If any of you come across a post with a link to a web site called "[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]", please hit the "report post" button and we'll take a look at it.

As the thread seems to be going strong anyway, I'll leave its fate to Art.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 1, 2011, 09:29 AM   #66
TX Hunter

For Skinning Deer I mostly use my old Old Timer Gut hook.
Its one of the old Carbon Steel ones that was made in USA.
I also use a Case Yellow Handle Trapper for skinning small game.
I have skinned deer with it as well when I didnt have my Old Timer handy.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:49 AM   #67
skydiver3346

Randall knife:

I have used my trusty old "Outdoorsman" Randall knife to skin a large numbers of whitetails over the years. It always holds a superb edge and does most any job well that hunters require of a knife. Would not leave home without it.....
Old January 1, 2011, 03:48 PM   #68
Gunplummer

Years ago I made a small (6 inch) knife out of 4140 for gutting purposes only. Still use it and can really sharpen it compared to a stainless knife.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:25 PM   #69
silvrjeepr

I use a filet knife. It's great for precise cutting. I saw a fellow use one for skinning a few years ago and haven't needed another knife since. Now everyone in camp uses one.
Old January 6, 2011, 10:25 PM   #70
jhgreasemonkey

To be honest, I use a $25 dollar shrade with a gut hook and a rubber non slip handle. I got it at big 5. I have gutted the last 2 deer with it and it worked great. I am also a fan of the "butt out" tool. The name pretty much explains itself. I got one a dicks for $12. Look it up, you will have a good laugh
Old January 6, 2011, 10:41 PM   #71
BIGR

Sharpfinger made in the early 80's and a Case XX fixed blade. I have others like Coldsteel and Buck in the box, but have not tried them.

Hunter in camp loves his Buck 110 and it does a great job.
Old January 6, 2011, 11:11 PM   #72
jimbob86

Quote:
I am also a fan of the "butt out" tool. The name pretty much explains itself. I got one a dicks for $12. Look it up, you will have a good laugh
What's amusing about tearing a poop laden colon open inside the body cavity? It's your meat, I guess, but still ....... you avoid gut shooting the animal to keep fecal matter and the bacteria in it contained inside the alimentary canal, right? When field dressing, the idea is to take all that out as a unit.... To each his own, I guess.......
Old January 7, 2011, 11:40 AM   #73
PTS1

Same Buck 110 for the past 10 years.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:43 AM   #74
2damnold4this

Quote:
These days about the only one I use for almost everything is a Mora Clipper.
+1 on the Moras
Old January 7, 2011, 03:24 PM   #75
spclPatrolGroup

I use a buck aplha hunter, cold steel also makes a good hunting knife, like others said I stay away from folders, hard to clean. Also I stay away from wood grips, and make sure they are stainless steel, that way at the end of the hunt I can boil it, doesnt seem like any amount of scrubbing gets rid of all the tallow in the cracks and crevices, but boiling them melts everything.